With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Old WQ3 forum - archived. Links may not work.

My thoughts and a bit more :)

Postby MisterX » Mon Apr 14, 2003 3:53 am

Ok, at first, this Mod is great, really great, i just love it :)

but there are not really much players.. why? (i saw navy seals is played more than this.. and.. err... ns suckz .. *rolleyes* :D) maybe there should be more advertisement about wq?? i cant imagine that nearly noone in the world likes this mod i love? in the night (in germany :D) there are no players online. and in the afternoon, there are not often more than 20 players online.. thats really disappointing, because this mod is really really funny.. has western quake? been on planetquake.com ? i hope so, if not - show it to the people there, maybe we will get more players with that :) or other big sites.. it cannot be that there are just 20 players online when i look for a server... please, do anything, anything that there will be more players, please :)

[Edit]
ah and.. yes.. my english suckz.. i hope you could read it :roll:
MisterX
Pistolero

Postby Drakhon » Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:35 am

I think we were in planetquake.com 3 times on our release day. And we were on some other news sites. We even were in the German television show "Giga Games" twice.

I really don't know why there are so few people playing wq3.
Drakhon
Iron Claw

Postby EvilFutsin » Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:14 am

In my experiences (I'm a person who's been in the Reaction Q3 community for about a year, and been watching Quake 3 grow since its release), I think the main fact is that Quake 3 is disliked, not very popular. And those who DO play it play one or more of these things -

Quake 3 Vanilla (regular baseq3, that is)
OSP
Urban Terror
and
Rocket Arena.

Oh, and a good dosage of Q3F.

I think the main thing is that not enough people struck the pot soon enough when Q3 was released, didn't get people hooked on it (lots of promise, but the first "big" release didn't happen til' what, June 2000? :?). And another thing is that most of the mods for Quake 3...well...they aren't very good. The speed is so slow it's fucking crippling (pardon my language) in most of them. NSQ3 is slow as hell. Q3TC is real slow. UT is slow too. The fact is, people kept doing too many "REALISTIC" mods that focused more on realism and balance rather than - FUN.

Mods like Reaction Q3 and Western Q3 are FUN mods. They have a very fun feel to each of them, and they're good to play. But the problem is there's

1. Not enough server support
2. Not enough players - and the not-enough-players thing is a horrible loop because nobody tries to play because nobody's playing, thereby making it so THEY don't play, then people don't play because THEY don't play....err...you get my point, right? :)
and
3. The Punkbuster/CD Key stuff, which has caused many to stop playing due to warezing Q3. (RQ3 really REALLY died after 1.32 was released)

I think it's not so much the lack of support from news, publicity, etc....it's just that I don't think people like Q3 a helluva lot. Not to mention there's so many damn choices, the whole factor of PC hardware, and the main definitive mods (Urban Terror, OSP, RA3, Q3F, etc.) suck up most of the players. Plus, like I said, the CD key stuff pisses people off since so many internet idiots (80% of the internet public, IMHO), don't wanna pay for nuttin'. CHEAP BASTARDS.

Quake 3 is a sad thing. GREAT game (baseq3, for me, is DM perfectted), has some GREAT mods (this mod rocks, RQ3 rocks, etc.), and some amazing maps and a good engine...but it's like....nobody cares. :cry:

I wish more people would play Q3 and the cool mods like RQ3 and WQ3 but...that won't help any. The best I can do, and I think the best we can do, is just play it as much as possible. Maybe us here can organize weekly games for us all to play, getting people interested. Doing it once a week, ritualistically, is one way to get to playing it more. ;)

Anyways...yeah...tis a sad thing.
EvilFutsin
SG Team

Postby dolny » Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:59 am

Well i'm going to make a polish fan site when i find someone who's really good in web graphics. Then at the beggining of may ill be setting a new server in Poland. I think that people should make some fansites and those who aren't able to do it - try to email some ISP's and ask them if they could set such a server in your country.
Proud member of the HorseLovers clan.

Red Neckerson wrote:Oh and don't let dolny annoy you...he's a fanatic!
dolny
Gunslinger

Postby MisterX » Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:31 pm

yes, i just play it because i saw it in Giga Games :) but, he (the one who showed it) played with bots .. maybe thats why many people think its not really good? hehe.. but, i was playing a mod called Bid For Power, and there were many servers with many players, and it wasnt the best mod.. thats really a bit strange :/
MisterX
Pistolero

Postby EvilFutsin » Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:42 pm

Well, not a lot of people have open-minds anymore. Everyone has an opinion, and society (world society) makes you want to have one. And then, as the saying goes - opinions are like buttholes. :P

There's tons of reasons, I think.

Not to mention, most people are idiots who don't understand things or have a good enough brain to think intelligently.

So, I guess...people are idiots. That's a good reason why. :P
EvilFutsin
SG Team

Postby newbified » Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:43 pm

Dolny, if you need help with graphics I'm not too bad in that department...spent almost 2 years working with Photoshop 5.5-7 and I'm using 6 right now...but I'm somewhat competent in graphics, if you have an idea of what you want PM me or just reply and tell me some things you might like and I'll see what I can make.
newbified
Drifter

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Tue Apr 15, 2003 1:42 am

I contacted the folks at planetquake about considering WQ3 for mod of the week. They replied "WQ3 has already been featured as mod of the week and therefore will not be featured again." I explained that since the first feature was done, the mod has changed so drastically that virtually nothing of the original remains. They replied with "OK". I guess it all went in one ear and out of the other. :roll:
As far as having a weekly get together, I'm in the USA and it seems most of WQ3's fanbase is European. The time difference makes it difficult for me to play with the majority of the fanbase. :(
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Drakhon » Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:54 am

MisterX: They only played against bots the first time they showed it on Giga Games. WQ3 was on Giga Games a second time (about half a week after the release) and there it was one of the main features of the show. They showed wq3 about half an hoer, and they played it online (I even was on the same server as that Giga guy).
Drakhon
Iron Claw

Return to Feedback Forum

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel