With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Old WQ3 forum - archived. Links may not work.

Postby EvilFutsin » Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:07 am

I personally feel that WQ3 has yet to truly come into its own and find the particular style that it not only needs - but deserves.

To be honest, the slow gameplay I despise. Realism? Why not some fun. Take what you have and run with it. Make things a little exaggerated, a little over-the-top, maybe a little faster. Christ, ya don't bleed when you get shot as is - why the hell should you move so damn slow? Personally whenever I play with bots I change the g_speed value to 220 (a decent speed inbetween the default 300 of Q3 and the 180 of WQ3).

I can understand the slow pace of Western films, but, seriously - the reason they moved slow was because the public back then, had they seen the Michael Bay-style fast-cutting/hyper-stylized/quick-and-deadly style of filmmaking they'd have a fucking panic attack/anuerism/seizure.

Just, as my own opinion - I think WQ3 has problems. In fact, some are crippling my attempt at making a movie in it and I'm actually half-considering quitting because of not only the extremely small amount of resources (only one dedicated server guy, two friends, and two free-lancers whom have a hard time staying still and make things VERY difficult), but also that the damn thing just doesn't look good or feel good. It's clunky, slow, plodding, and as well - just a tad frickin' boring.

I don't think it's an issue of people not playing because of servers or players. I think people just don't like the mod. You guys? You like it. You dig it. Good for you, all the more power to you. Me? Me and some of the other average joes here think WQ3 is okay - it has potentional for sure - but that it needs to grow, and needs to evolve. Badly.

Catch a bit of what I'm sayin' here, guys? I don't mean offense. I'm not saying it sucks or anything. Hell, I love some of the elements in this thing. But, seriously, why don't you wise up and admit the obvious? THIS NEEDS WORK.

Is the mod dead?
I think now, after giving it some thought here....

Yup. It is.

Not because there's hardly anyone playing it. You release something public where people can see it, someone's gonna get it and play it and try it out and such. That's just a given. But I think it's dead because...well, look at this. Sometimes there's not even ONE SINGLE POST in a day here! The team sounds like they've stopped and gotten swifted away by reality and other things (could be wrong - if you guys really have something cooking up, I highly suggest you tell us), so not much or any progress has been made on the mod.

And most of all, there's not a single soul on the servers. In the Reaction Q3 community, at least people play in Europe. Here, I see none of that in this community. We're down to ...what, one server? That's all I get from All Seeing Eye.

Is it up to us to ressurect this mod? Nah. I think it's both the fans and the team making it, really. The team needs to give us something to get excited about, and we need to not so much keep saying, "Good work", we need to start pushing them and saying "give us MORE. We want MORE." The phrase "If you build it, they will come" is absolutely goddamned useless without a need, a craving, and a WANT for something, so why should they bother if we seemed satisfied or uninterested?

What should "We" do to help out? Well, you guys giving me a hand on my movie would surely be appreciated, as it'd turn out to be great advertising. If you take a look at the Planetquake news for yesterday (August 8th), you'll find my first piece has finally been released and because of it, got RQ3 in the news again. So that's one thing. :P Support by making stuff.

Additionally, starting to get little games together, not so much clans as just players agreeing, "hey, I'll show up, let's kick some booty"; would also potentionally work. Logically, what is more productive? Discussing, complaining about, and sitting on the problem - or - thinking about ways to solve the problem, trying to solve the problem, and overall fixing whatever kink we have to fix? Think, guys. Think. ;)

This could all just be some seriously stupid ranting and rambling by a very tired 16 year old isolated reclusive wannabe-filmmaker, but seriously. Is the mod dead? Yeah. It is. Admit it. Should we fix the problem? You fuckin' right. And should we stop saying "What happened" or "what's wrong" or "damn there's no players" and just find a solution and DO IT? YEAH, WE REALLY GODDAMNED OUGHT TO!

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to finish writing a very shitty action scene. *stumbles away bleary-eyed and tired*
EvilFutsin
SG Team

Postby FOS.PHANTOMAS » Sat Aug 09, 2003 2:41 pm

Personally i disagree about speed.
It's ridicolous.
A mod must keep its coherence.
If q3western players run faster than "beep beep",
for sure we'll (my clan) not playing it.

For the rest, yes, is up only to the dev team to
find a sort of solution, if they care a bit, or have
the online-time to do it, without accepting too much compromises.
Making a mod means staying in touch almost everyday
with it and its community.
FOS.PHANTOMAS
Newcomer

Postby EvilFutsin » Sun Aug 10, 2003 7:20 am

Bah, Phantomas - try g_speed at 220. Just try it. It feels a lot more like you're finally sprinting or running, not like you're half-jogging. :P
EvilFutsin
SG Team

Postby Lixus » Sun Aug 10, 2003 1:34 pm

hm i barely ever see someone else of the mod-team in my icq-list being online..
i wonder what spoon does at the moment...
=Lixus=
Lixus
Iron Claw

Postby FOS.PHANTOMAS » Sun Aug 10, 2003 4:38 pm

Eheh, Futsin...
i think i really will not like to see Clint Eastwood sprinting
like Carl Lewis.
Half-jogging? western coherence mentioned above.
Otherwise let's go and ride horses to go fast and furious,
but i think i will call this: "need for speed - western expansion pack" :P
Every mod must keep its own identity.
Of course is my opinion ;)
FOS.PHANTOMAS
Newcomer

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sun Aug 10, 2003 6:25 pm

Well it seems I see one or two new names on the forums every week or so, so new people are still trying the mod.
As far as game speed goes....you can't please everyone. I've said from the beginning that I would prefer the game to be a little faster. This seems to be the opinions of my friends as well. I've seen films where the cowboys can move pretty fast when they're getting shot at. :twisted: If you recall, there were still some people who played version 1.2 all the way up untill the new beta was released. I think that speed and simplicity were factors there. One guy I met playing the first WQ3 hated the buy system in the new version so much that he won't play it now. :? The average player wants FUN not realism. Personally, I like both versions but would like to see some changes to the new beta.
It's true that the fate of this mod rests in the hands of the developers for the most part. If they have indeed stopped working on it, I am still grateful for WQ3 and the good times I've had with it. My LAN parties wouldn't be the same without it. 8) Hopefully, they'll continue to improve their game.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Drakhon » Fri Aug 15, 2003 4:11 pm

I totally agree that it is up to us, to ressurect our mod.
The problem is that I haven't heard a word from our coder for over 2 months. And as you all noticed, a mod without a coder is pretty dead.
Drakhon
Iron Claw

Postby JockyTheStampede » Fri Aug 15, 2003 5:18 pm

I Think you guys can learn to code. :P

But the game is good ATM, let's just get on and bring the mod back to life.
JockyTheStampede
Newcomer

Postby Extra Cheese » Fri Aug 15, 2003 6:25 pm

I really enjoyed playing this mod from the time 2.0 came out until a couple months ago. It's really unfortunate that it seems to be dwindling away.

If the only thing holding you guys back is a coder, I would be interested in helping you fix any bugs you have. I've been coding for about 7 years and have quite a bit of experience with the Quake3 source.
Extra Cheese
Newcomer

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sat Aug 16, 2003 7:00 pm

WHOA! Somebody from ICI needs to contact Keil in a hurry!!! 8O
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Tabasco » Fri Sep 12, 2003 5:58 pm

If the mod is dead, release the source with a gpl style license, leave out your artwork and models if you wish, I'm sure it would be picked up. The theme is original and a lot of fun. I'd hate to see it just die.
Tabasco
Newcomer

Postby MissingWasp » Mon Sep 29, 2003 10:30 pm

If you cant code (update) so what. People shud still play the mod its good and as soon as i get my quake 3 disk back from my m8 and install in on my shiny new pc ill be playing again too.
:evil: BTW Try and get some sponsors or affiliated or soemthing to get more players! I'll become affiliated with you with my site.. (its pretty small but so what) :)

Sam

P.S:
http://www.soultech.2ya.com
MissingWasp
Drifter

Postby Nevada Smith » Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:21 pm

Did Spoon ever use his real name when he replied to e-mails? Was his e-mail hosted by his ISP? (Perhaps they could look up his account details.) If he used ICQ, you might be able to get some more personal information from there.
Nevada Smith
Drifter

Postby sig11 » Tue Nov 25, 2003 2:43 pm

Well, you could start with this info :

http://westernq3.planet-multiplayer.de/ ... t&sub=team

With google I found some interviews but nothing useful.
sig11
SG Team

Postby SwordAxe » Sun Nov 30, 2003 7:01 pm

This mod is so good i just playedi t yesterday for the first time why the hell would it die , lets all stop blabbing on the forums make a server and play! 8O
SwordAxe
Drifter

PreviousNext

Return to Feedback Forum

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel