With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Old WQ3 forum - archived. Links may not work.

Postby DeUgli » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:39 am

As long as we are discussing sound effects, maybe it would be nice to have the church bell ring less often, the way it does in other maps. Seems more realistic to me.
DeUgli
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:16 am

I've got a Klipsch 4.1 setup but I'm not sure why that would make any difference. (I don't play WQ3 at a high volume.) And yes, I wondered about having the bell ring less often. Unfortunately, the bell itself will continue to swing back and forth all of the time so there goes our realism. (No way to change that afaik) Still, I have no problem with making these adjustments. I appreciate any and all suggestions.

@Torhu or sig11: I'll likely have you guys test newer versions of the map untill the piano sound is suitable, since I can't seem to tell when it's going to be good here. Better yet, I'll resample the wav file at various voulmes and you can just swap these in and out of the pk3. That'll save needless compiles for such a simple thing.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby ScreechingWeasel » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:13 am

Love the new map -- the horses are great! I agree that the bell should ring less often. Any plans to use the space inside the Hotel? Seems like such a large space on such a small map that it'd be a shame to waste it. I also found a very minor artifact. Screenshots are here and here. This is in the building attached to the general store. Seems to just be a hole in the wall. Also, on the wall opposite where that hole is along the top it looks like light is seeping in. Not sure if that's intentional.

--Screech'
ScreechingWeasel
Newcomer

Postby Pardner » Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:49 am

ReD NeCKersoN wrote: Unfortunately, the bell itself will continue to swing back and forth all of the time so there goes our realism. (No way to change that afaik)

is the bell just a pendulum? in vq3 you can change the speed of the pendulum functions, although this does change the amplitude of the swing.

i havent had a chance to really play on the new map; but from a quick DM on it, it seem to play farly nice. ill be back with more feedback.

Pardner
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:54 am

ScreechingWeasel wrote:Seems to just be a hole in the wall. Also, on the wall opposite where that hole is along the top it looks like light is seeping in.

Found the problem. It wasn't actually a hole but a small face that was textured with caulk. This can cause "light seepage" along a wall joint. Anyway, I fixed the texture problem but I'll have to recompile before I see if it takes care of the light seeping in.
And yes, I do plan to do something more with the hotel. Also, the two buildings that aren't fully furnished yet need to be decorated. Trying hard to decide what to do with that one empty building. :?
BTW, good to see the "Roundup" is back & hosting the level. You've always been a good supporter of new maps. 8)

Pardner wrote:Is the bell just a pendulum? in vq3 you can change the speed of the pendulum functions, although this does change the amplitude of the swing.

Yes, it is a pendulum and I can change the speed & amplitude. However, as I stated above, afaik I can't make it stop and then start again. Although....hmmmm....I have an idea. It might be possible to set a trigger that when crossed would start the bell swinging, indicating that someone is on that roof. We'll have to see if that works but no promises otherwise.
As a side note, the bell in Sancuchillo swings constantly. The sound for it is set on a timer so that it plays the noise at 2 minute intervals.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby =Chico= » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:29 am

i keep music off too and the piano is low and i have the same surround system as Red- He said he was gonna turn it up though
=Chico=
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Pardner » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:57 am

the piano music is loud for me because i have the game music turned off and i use earphone. it hasnt bothered me yet because i still can hear footsteps above it.

is it possible to put in more spawn points. it seems that every time i kill someone, they spawn right behind me. this happens alot.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:02 am

The spawnpoints are bothering me, and others, as well. But that's why I released this in beta form. I want to make the best game play possible according to feedback before the final version. :) Rest assured, the spawnpoints will be tweaked to the max. And now you are the 2nd person to ask me to NOT increase the piano volume. I'm not sure what to do now?? :(
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby sig11 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:43 pm

About the piano sound. @Pardner, you said, the footsteps are louder than the piano !? ... doesn't that allow for the piano to be louder ;-) ? ... anyways, some resampled wav files may be easiest for torhu and me to play around with.

About the spawn points .... well, in the end ... it's a small map ... it may always feel that you spawn close to somebody else ...
In-game name: =SG= Django (yes, it's cliché :-) )
sig11
SG Team

Postby torhu » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:36 am

Red: You're probably not the first to run into this problem, maybe someone on a mapping forum elsewhere can shed some light on the issue?

I've got some of my sound settings here. Maybe you could check if yours are different.

s_doppler 1
s_distance 100
s_separation 0.5
s_khz 22
s_musicvolume 0
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:10 am

My settings match yours. I see some other settings though.

seta s_occ_eq "0.75"
seta s_occfactor "0.5"
seta s_bloat "2.0"
seta s_numpolys "400"
seta s_polyreflectsize "10000000"
seta s_polysize "10000000"
seta s_polykeep "1000000000"
seta s_refdelay "2.0"
seta s_refgain "0.45"
seta s_leafnum "0"
seta s_max_distance "1000.0"
seta s_min_distance "3.0"
seta s_rolloff "1.0"
seta s_mixPreStep "0.05"
seta s_mixahead "0.2"
seta s_compression "1"
seta s_separation "0.5"
seta s_volume "0.239583"

Not sure what it all means.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:30 am

I just decided to post a louder version of the piano sound here rather than in a private forum. That way everyone who wants to can test the difference. Just put it where it needs to go in the pk3. Don't forget to save the old one first because the new one keeps you from joining servers. Right click and save as.
EDIT: I just tested this with the music enabled and I see what you mean. Seems like music washes out sounds in maps. Unless you have music set to an extremely low level (or off) you are not going to hear the piano very well at all, unless I make it so loud that "non-music" players are driven mad by it. Imo, the louder version I have here is the limit and should not be icreased any further.

The churchbell is going to always swing no matter what. I tried, but that's just the way it is. However, I put in a trigger over the breakable board that connects the rooftops between the church and the general store so that when a player crosses it the bell begins to ring. The sound file is 41 seconds long and cannot be reactivated until the trigger is crossed again once the sound has stopped playing. So, when you hear the bell toll you know someone has crossed that board. :)
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby torhu » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:56 am

I've got all the same sound settings as you, Red. Except for s_volume, but that shouldn't matter. Using the file with the higher volume piano sound was cool, but I suspect it's not that cool if you play with the game music on. Doesn't mix that well. And that's the default, so I guess many people do. Maybe somewhere in between would have been ok? Or you could just keep it the way it is now. That way it won't get too loud for some people, and maybe annoying if they play with the game music on.
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby sig11 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:21 am

The volume should be ok now ... the shooting, walking, reloading etc. were still much louder, but it could get annoying as torhu said. Even with music on, it's audible in between the game music. Interestingly, the piano is loudest not right in front of it but somewhere in a circle round it ... or so I have the feeling.
In-game name: =SG= Django (yes, it's cliché :-) )
sig11
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:37 am

sig11 wrote:Interestingly, the piano is loudest not right in front of it but somewhere in a circle round it ... or so I have the feeling.

I noticed that too. Could be because I placed the speaker directly over the keys. I'll try moving it and see what happens.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

PreviousNext

Return to Feedback Forum

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel