With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Old WQ3 forum - archived. Links may not work.

Postby torhu » Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:22 pm

It's a really nice looking map. Maybe I'll have to play some BR again...

This map could have been great for a ctf-like gametype. So both teams have a goal, and it won't just be all hide and seek. But that's for the future.
Last edited by torhu on Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Breli » Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:25 pm

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:The crosshair bug wasn't present for me today. All was correct. Maybe I noticed it while playing bots yesterday?

I never had that bug before ... ??? Something fishy about rawhide or your installation?

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:DO NOT use ambience ... .

Yeah, you're right ;) I'll do that ...

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:I suggest you copy the animated fire textures from my or Lethal's map. You'll need to look at the shader file to get what you need there as well.

That's what I did. The problem is on rawhide, not in the map. Check wq_mine.

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:to be breakable with dyno only.

Already done ;)

Breli
Breli
SG Team

Postby sig11 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:54 pm

What's the problem with the corsshair ? EDIT: forget that ! I figured by now it's the red X Red mentioned :-) ....

About the fire: connect to 80.190.243.49:27960 (my severly undepopulated ;-) team mode server), join and vote for du_showdown, and check out the fire in the indian village setting (is that PC ?). Is it moving ? (that's what I meant with my comment in the map bug reports.). Or, check the lights in wq_town - they should be flickering, too. Also, carefully check the shader: the long term variation may actually be changing !

This behaviour is weird. A preliminary result is that it doesn't happen when I connect to a custom server based on the open source Quake engine (SInce this is a public forum, yes I'm working on this :-) ...), but I haven't changed anything related to that really .... :?:

About the darkness: yes, I find it rather dark in some rooms as well, sorry. I'm using a CRT as well - and vortex (only for performance). If it's supposed to be that way: well ok. Hey, I was just about to mention that the human eye would adjust to dark rooms, but it doesn't in a game since the ambient light is bright - BUT - is _your_ ambient light bright ? That may be a difference ...
In-game name: =SG= Django (yes, it's cliché :-) )
sig11
SG Team

Postby Breli » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:48 pm

sig11 wrote:Is it moving ? This behaviour is weird. A preliminary result is that it doesn't happen when I connect to a custom server based on the open source Quake engine (SInce this is a public forum, yes I'm working on this :-) ...), but I haven't changed anything related to that really .... :?:

That's indeed very weird! Since you haven't touched the server config (backwater is not running on the server right ?), it must be a server side problem, I guess. My best bet are shaders that are overwritten or something ... this "engine loads everything and overwrites everything" is kinda confusing sometimes ... did you notice that before you downloaded backwater as well?

sig11 wrote:About the darkness: yes ...

I'll take care of that ;)

Breli
Breli
SG Team

Postby sig11 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:32 am

Breli wrote:That's indeed very weird! Since you haven't touched the server config (backwater is not running on the server right ?), it must be a server side problem, I guess. My best bet are shaders that are overwritten or something ... this "engine loads everything and overwrites everything" is kinda confusing sometimes ... did you notice that before you downloaded backwater as well?

Correct. backwater is not on my server (only as the zip file you posted, but not as pk3 and not even in the right directory). And yes, I noticed that before backwater.

For what it's worth, I currently have a custom server running on 80.190.243.49:27964 it has the exact same config as 80.190.243.49:27960 it even shows on the server list (but screws the listing due to missing punkbuster settings ;-) ...) and it's using the exact same files as ID's version. You may want to check it out, voting is enabled, but I'll shut it down in a few hours (when I return home later tonight ;-) ...)

My best bet - although a bit far fetched - is that punkbuster is screwing with the shaders. Punkbuster is the major difference between ID's version and what is running on 80.190.243.49:27964
In-game name: =SG= Django (yes, it's cliché :-) )
sig11
SG Team

Postby torhu » Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:33 am

Could it be...no it can't be...the rarely seen German Box Bush!? :lol:

In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Breli » Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:05 pm

torhu wrote:Could it be...no it can't be...the rarely seen German Box Bush!? :lol:

You don't know that one 8O The well known "black forest predator cube bush"? Very, very dangerous but close to extinction. It is usually fed with norwegian virgins which are hard to come by lately ...

:mrgreen:

Breli
Breli
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:18 am

found one!!

ive only played wq_backwater. the gameplay is much different that the rest of the maps, espically the big open areas.

Pardner
SG Team

Postby Breli » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:07 pm

Heyho all,

Unfortunately, this thread drifted a bit in wrong directions: the crosshair stuff, "problems" with loading br_backwater and the frozen animated textures are not at all related to the map.

Does anybody have additional comments on this one? It is one the servers for a while and someone may have found additional things. I am currently planning to give backwater the finishing touch. So please report anything you might find noteworthy.

I have fixed the main issues like the water and the overall lightning and I intend to do some minor changes.

Cheers

Breli
Breli
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:07 am

Glad to hear you are working on this again. :D Sorry for not policing this thread like I should have. In fact, I even actually caused it to drift like it did. Sorry! I'll be more careful in the future.
Nevertheless, Chico and Red told me that they can barely see anything in some places. So I got to increase the ambience a bit making everything ugly.

Glad to see you will not be using ambience to brighten the map. Something else at your disposal in addition to locational lights, should testing suggest you need further brightening, is the shader command q3map_surfacelight X where X is a numerical value. I used this to brighten CB for the br version. The only drawback is that it brightens everything in the outside areas, which won't help caves & such, though I don't think it "uglifies" the map like ambience does. Personally, I think you only need to brighten certain areas and not the whole thing. But surfacelight is so fast and easy it's hard not to be tempted to increase it.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby mczero » Sun May 20, 2007 5:11 pm

First a big hello to the makers of Western Quake 3 and the hole community! I'm new to this forum, but read it for a longer time...
So, here my first post!

I thought I open this thread again... because I haven't found that anyone has written about it, I do it now...

The ladder on the pic is mostly a bit too hard to climb, you must stand correctly in the middle or you are shot down by someone while you are still attempting to climb! :?

And I don't know if the light in some places has been improved in the meantime, but I find it still a bit too dark inside of some houses!

Otherwise, its a nice map!

:D
mczero
Drifter

Postby Breli » Mon May 21, 2007 9:42 pm

Hi mczero and welcome to the forum!

Thanks for your feedback. You're right, for some reason I don't know this ladder is somewhat fishy from time to time ;) ... and the lighting is my nemesis in all maps ;). I'll see whether I can give this one a makeover.

Cheers

Breli
SG name: =SG= BRELI

Harmonica: Did you bring a horse?
Gunmen: Looks like we are short on one horse!
Harmonica: No. You brought two too many.
Breli
SG Team

Postby hika » Tue May 22, 2007 12:16 am

I usually jump to ladders to give me more chance in climbing.
But, there are some times I missed, and the ladder mczero mentioned is one of them.
The hardest ladder to climb I remember is one in wq_nightfort :D

I think the lighting and/or darkness are essentially a matter of screen display.
For example, with equal config (middle brightness in both Q3 and Xorg) between my CRT and my laptop's LCD, there 's a lot of difference.
In my LCD, with default settings, the lighting looks fine ... but on my CRT, I need to adjust the Q3 brightness higher.
... hmm, maybe my Vaio's X-black LCD has something to do with it ? :D

So, mczero, maybe you only have to adjust the brightness, too ?
SG name: Manchot
SG fansite: http://western.bsdmon.com
userbar originally created by Caffeine
hika
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Tue May 22, 2007 1:53 am

mczero wrote:The ladder on the pic is mostly a bit too hard to climb, you must stand correctly in the middle

There are several ladders in BW that give me trouble. But the one mczero mentioned is the toughest. Breli, could you take the time to look at all of your ladders for us please & adjust if needed? Danke! :D
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby EvilFutsin » Tue May 22, 2007 2:11 am

Ladders! Pah! This is why I use the elevator and jump-pads....oh. ;)

Ladders AND lighting are a pain in the butt for us mappers, though. I know this from experience, as the reason my film group is called Dark & Moody Productions has to do with the latter. >_>

Anyway, though, I actually haven't had much if any trouble with the ladders. As for lighting, Breli, have you considered lighting some of the torches in the interiors? Or maybe putting in some soft light entities? Cuz I noticed for the former suggestion I don't remember spotting any. Or if any, not ones that had a good spread out light.
"I Gotta Believe!"
EvilFutsin
SG Team

PreviousNext

Return to Feedback Forum

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel