With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Anything not SG related goes here. Just keep it clean!

Moderator: Pardner

German campaign for NSA-Whistleblower Edward Snowden

Postby TheDoctor » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:28 pm

Hi,

probably you've read about Edward Snowden, who uncovered the truth on how certain countries such as the US or GB spy on ordinary users in most, if not all countries on this earth.

To me, Edward Snowden is a hero, risking his life as it was. If you want to support him, check for online petitions in your country. For the German users among you, let me point to this German petition, which goal is to plead for Mr. Snowden's asylum in Germany. While I seriously doubt it will ever come to this, I believe a widespread support is a way to express our concern about how our privacy is more and more mistreated by private and governmental organizations alike.

If you live in the U.S. and if you value your rights, you may want to check http://www.restorethefourth.net/.

Best regards,

TheDoctor
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Re: German campaign for NSA-Whistleblower Edward Snowden

Postby Barto » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:14 pm

TheDoctor wrote:To me, Edward Snowden is a hero, risking his life as it was.

Same thinking here, he is took some serious risks to reveal what the NSA was really doing. I am seeing him as a martyr, getting the consequences of what he did for people's best (kinda like a David vs Goliath).

What is really shocking me is that he is actually accused of spying by the USA and surprisingly, Sir Snowden proved the opposite. We are sadly now living in a world composed of lies-only, just see how the USA answered the reason of the PRISM program before it was proved they spied the UE in Bruxelles...
To be honest, only 2 countries are estimated to be attacked all the time: USA and Israel... (I don't blame the people there, but the government) Politicians should 1) understand free speech 2) understand the Internet 3) don't act like dicks and stop acting like in a "Kindergarten". Isn't the job of a government made to take the right decision for us after all?

I hope Sir Snowden will get the asylum in one of the country he asked for it. Sadly, I'm not living in Germany and neither in USA, there are - to be honest - some low chances that my country will accept him for an obvious reason: I am living in Switzerland and as you know, Snowden worked in Geneva. Plus Switzerland are dicks for the immigration...
Anyway, we still did not get something official...

I'll add Julian Assange and Bradley Manning on the well known list of people that are right but against the USA.

We are living a war between the human rights and the government. We don't want to get spied all the time with any of the PRISM/ACTA/SOPA/PIPA/HADOPI/DPI technologies/DMCA takedown. Allies and Enemy shouldn't get confused normally, but they did confuse it...

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Gandhi

I should get my anonymous mask out of my cupboard one of these days...
"Chuck Norris had to shorten his beard in the presence of Richard Stallman because two beards that awesome, so close would segfault the universe (again)."
Barto
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby Biondo » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:43 pm

We are living in a reversed world, but after all the world had always been reversed. Secret services always did their dirty job (legally or illegally) taking advantage of top-notch technologies.

Personally I don't feel any sympathy for Snowden because I can't understand what is driving him, and what drove him to join the CIA in first place. Now he is riding the tiger, OK.

What is paradoxical is that German petition, collecting signatures for the right to a privacy and linking back to Facebook, Twitter, and Google. This is super gummy-face! :)
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Postby Barto » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:42 am

Biondo wrote:Personally I don't feel any sympathy for Snowden because I can't understand what is driving him, and what drove him to join the CIA in first place.

He did some computer science studies, then wanted to go to the US army and got injured there, instead they gave him an office job at the NSA, this is how he came here.
One more thing that shouldn't get forgotten: he was a security expert and not someone who was spying people. This is why he was able to steal so much informations because he had some direct access of the files for some system administration reasons.
Then - like us - Sir Snowden is clearly defending the freedom of the Internet, this was what made the spark.
"Chuck Norris had to shorten his beard in the presence of Richard Stallman because two beards that awesome, so close would segfault the universe (again)."
Barto
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby Biondo » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:47 am

Biondo
SG Website Designer

Postby TheDoctor » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:39 pm

Biondo wrote:Secret services always did their dirty job (legally or illegally) taking advantage of top-notch technologies.
True. But similar to the military, which always liked to use the newest and deadly weaponry available - until the discovery of the a-bomb - maybe democratic governments could agree that some technologies are better left unused.

Biondo wrote:Personally I don't feel any sympathy for Snowden because I can't understand what is driving him, and what drove him to join the CIA in first place.
That is sad. He worked for Booz Allen Hamilton, an American technology consulting firm in the business of providing IT-services primarily to civilian government agencies, to defense and intelligence agencies, as well as to civil and commercial organizations. I doubt he had any influence on the decision, for which customer he worked.

Anyway, he became aware of, what I see as both a breach of the American constitution as well my fundamental human right not be spied upon. Then he had the choice to remain silent, ignore what he learned, earn good money and live his life. Instead he sacrificed his previous life and informed the public about what he believed was fundamentally wrong. Now, the U.S. and their European protectorates are hell-bent on serving Snowden their form of "justice".

Biondo wrote:What is paradoxical is that German petition, collecting signatures for the right to a privacy and linking back to Facebook, Twitter, and Google. This is super gummy-face! :)
True, but no doubt "they" have my basic data anyway, so I better use it for some good.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Barto » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:00 pm

TheDoctor wrote:He worked for Booz Allen Hamilton, an American technology consulting firm in the business of providing IT-services primarily to civilian government agencies, to defense and intelligence agencies, as well as to civil and commercial organizations.

Yes, and he joined them for the only reason to steal them their datas.

TheDoctor wrote:Now, the U.S. and their European protectorates are hell-bent on serving Snowden their form of "justice".

This is where a government should support him for a simple reason: he's right and he actually proved they were spied. How odd our countries are still on the US side even they are the victims.

TheDoctor wrote:True, but no doubt "they" have my basic data anyway, so I better use it for some good.

Just for fun: Was it written in the terms of use - which we always do not read - that they were spying us? :P (or at least allowed to give such informations to a third without asking the initial owner)
Barto
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby GWashington » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:55 pm

GWashington
Newcomer

Postby Barto » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:52 pm

@GWashington: Your script does not detect if you use a proxy with the X-Forwarded-For http header. Oh, by the way check if the hostname contains *vpn* ;-)

Okay, I just put the news here:
1) Sir Snowden got a one year asylum in Russia, he is now free to leave out the airport and even get a job there.
2) Venezuela, Nicaragua and Bolivia gave him asylum... Where the f*ck is the Europe in this? Anyway, thank them!
2) He also revealed XKeyscore, a program to massively scan email (or any other communication) of non-US internet users...
3) This is what happens when you search for pressure cookers and backpacks on google...
4) FBI can activate your android microphone. Seem they can do the same with a computer, I'm waiting for it with my Arch linux machine ;-)
Barto
Jeuxlinux Admin

Return to Hitchin' Post

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel