With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Anything not SG related goes here. Just keep it clean!

Moderator: Pardner

ioquake3 team is working on a launcher

Postby Barto » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:43 pm

As the title says, the ioquake3 buddies started a new project: a launcher for their engine!

I have heard a little of this (from TimeDoctor on irc) and I like the idea.
They even think - but on last place - to port some of the most famous game based on their engine, ours beloved SG is in the list!

You can find the project there on github: https://github.com/ioquake/launch and they even put a roadmap into the readme file

On my big surprise, even an article appeared in Phoronix. You can read it there http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n ... px=MTUzNzc

On Linux, just `git clone`, run `qmake` and then `make` and you'll have a lovely binary to test ;-)

--EDIT--
TimeDoctor on #ioquake3@freenode.org isn't our friend TheDoctor for those who are susceptible to make a confusion.
Last edited by Barto on Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Chuck Norris had to shorten his beard in the presence of Richard Stallman because two beards that awesome, so close would segfault the universe (again)."
Barto
Jeuxlinux Admin

Re: ioquake3 team is working on a launcher

Postby Tequila » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:30 pm

Thank you Barto to point us to this important project !
I'll take a look on it, hoping this is the time to synchronize again Smokin'Guns engine with ioQuake3 works. I saw some interesting fixes recently on Github and I really would like to see them in SG.
:twisted:

Join Smokin'Guns Return room on Discord
Tequila
SG Team

Postby Barto » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:09 pm

Hehe, nice to see you around Tequila! It's a pleasure to know you are still creeping around us silently. :-)

I don't see exactly what kind of interesting commits they made, but they started a port to SDL2 (Is this enough good yet? idk) or I heard on IRC about some changes in the spectator system. It's quite blurry in my brain about the exact details but it's good to know it's going forward for them :-)
"Chuck Norris had to shorten his beard in the presence of Richard Stallman because two beards that awesome, so close would segfault the universe (again)."
Barto
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby Tequila » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:30 pm

I saw some fixes around the new rendering engine and as that was a big issue on the last synchro I made months ago, this is what I tought about.

And yes, I'm still not so far as I'm the f* guy hosting site, wiki and forum. Indeed, I did some important stuffs for SG lately, but nothing really visible... For example, I updated Drupal and forum to the lastest versions... I'm like an angel here :mrgreen:

Looking forward ;)

Join Smokin'Guns Return room on Discord
Tequila
SG Team

Return to Hitchin' Post

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel