With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Anything not SG related goes here. Just keep it clean!

Moderator: Pardner

The All-Seeing Eye is dying

Postby torhu » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:34 pm

I've just had a look at the ASE forums. There is a forum admin (Sapiens) and an ASE coder (Ecks) that post there. They are the only people doing any work related to ASE.

But in one of the posts they actually state that they are NOT PAID EMPLOYEES OF YAHOO! I suppose Ecks was paid to put the Yahoo banner and logo into ASE, and then they continued to let him have access to the source code and the scanner servers. Anyway, now they're both just working on it in their (seemingly very limited) spare time.

So the whole thing is just make-believe. What is really going on is probably that Yahoo is preparing their own Gamespy Arcade clone. Which is probably going to be as unusable as GSA if you don't pay for it.

So in effect, Yahoo has bought ASE just to kill off the competition, so they can sell their own craptastic replacement. Or maybe it's somehow related to the whole Xfire issue, since those guys were working for Yahoo originally. Maybe they were the ones suppposed to improve ASE, or make its replacement. We'll probably never know.

I've tried kquery, qtracker, hlla, hlsw etc. but none of them can match the usability of ASE. I don't have Q4 or BF2 yet, but for those who do, there are instructions on the ASE forum how to get them working. For Q4, it involves downloading the server list from a web page, since the scanner servers don't work. But you don't have to fix the filters.txt file, since that is fixed in the latest version.

UP YOURS, YAHOO! :evil:
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:54 pm

This sucks. :(
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby torhu » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:06 pm

The ASE coder has now posted to explain the situation. Basically, he's been "out of order" for the last couple of months. Seems like noone else has been hired to replace him, and he's not quite sure yet whether he's still got the job. Turns out it might not be quite true that he isn't a paid employee of Yahoo. He is, or at least was, contracted. But what a mess anyway.

Stay tuned. :lol:
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Return to Hitchin' Post

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel