With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
WQ3 pre B2.1 archive. Links may not work.

[BUG] netchan queue is not properly

Postby Breli » Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:26 am

initialized in sv_netchan_TransmitNextFragment

Hi,

When playing alone with some bots on my machine with the patch, I am getting this error. I could reproduce it on (nearly) every map. It usually occurs when a round is over (gametype round_teamplay). After Lawmen|Outlwas won is displayed the error occurs before the game sets up the new round. Since this never happend before I guess it is related to the patch. However, it does not happen always (which is strange) but in the majority of cases. Very rarely the error pops up during a round, too.

cheers

breli
SG name: =SG= BRELI

Harmonica: Did you bring a horse?
Gunmen: Looks like we are short on one horse!
Harmonica: No. You brought two too many.
Breli
SG Team

Postby El vAkonD » Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:38 pm

Yeah, i've got this error too, and i have an idea about when it happens. The bots cause this, sometimes their botskill icon disappears, and they get 999 ping, like they were humans. So that mess up the system somehow. I get the error only in this case. You can check it easily, just play against bots, and press the tab key frequently to see if everything is ok.
Hmm i wish something to know, does this only happen during local gameplay, or also on a server?
Last edited by El vAkonD on Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
El vAkonD
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:40 am

El vAkonD wrote:Hmm i wish something to know, does this only happen during local gameplay, or also on a server?

I haven't seen this error on my server so far. But I only tested it for about 10 minutes.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Breli » Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:54 pm

I guess it only happens in single player mode. I never had this error while playing on a server.

breli
Breli
SG Team

bots-

Postby Aerasol » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:43 am

well- if there is any "coding" i do know about- it would have to be bots- have done lots of work on bots on other mods in the passed- this may be just random info... but related in a way i think- lol- if their skill level is at 0 they appear as human and do not cast any bot icons on the server (usually bots say they have 5 skill levels (being very easy, easy, medium, hard, and very hard (aka nightmare bots)) however most bots only have 3 settings programmed into their various config files, and when a level they don't have is selected, it resorts to the lowest one available...)- and- u can set the bots "msec delay" (aka ping) to w/e u want (i have, however, noticed that the msec delay is non-responsive to adjustments in this mod and however u set it the bot will always appear with 0 ping on the server)- ok- so- that was all just random info- another thing is- i have found this mod to be particularly bot unfriendly, cutting out many bot functions as not even existing at times... so- added with this prob yal r having... maybe a mass search should go down on all the wq3 bot stuff (btw- i have also noticed that the creators of this mod made all their own unique weapon names in the bot configs- usually mods use the original weapon names from the original q3a and just link their weapons to the q3a weapons some where down the road- but- all of the bot files in this mod refer to totally unique wq3 weapons- this may result in loosely communicated weapon structures causing errors somewhere around this topic for bots)
Aerasol
Pistolero

Re: bots-

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:17 am

Aerasol wrote:well- if there is any "coding" i do know about- it would have to be bots- have done lots of work on bots on other mods in the passed-

You do seem to be very knowledgeable in this department! In our small community, you stand alone in that regard. Would you be interested in tackling bot improvement for wq3? 8O
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Re: bots-

Postby El vAkonD » Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:07 pm

Aerasol wrote:(btw- i have also noticed that the creators of this mod made all their own unique weapon names in the bot configs- usually mods use the original weapon names from the original q3a and just link their weapons to the q3a weapons some where down the road- but- all of the bot files in this mod refer to totally unique wq3 weapons- this may result in loosely communicated weapon structures causing errors somewhere around this topic for bots)

No, torhu accidentallly brought this error in the code, when he made his new patch. It can be either his bots_wait_round_starts000 fix or the first_person_spectating000 fix, or botfillserver00X, 'cause he changed here the status of bots(variables, functions, etc)..
If torhu wont have much time for fixing bugs and i'll, then I'd like to help. It's not so difficult, just very time consuming.
El vAkonD
SG Team

well-

Postby Aerasol » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:02 pm

well- El vAkonD seems to be on the ball more than i when it comes to that bot error- as for imping the w3q bots- q3a bots can only do so much- the way points r put in by the mappers (many times i have thought of imping that... but... lol- i can't get close to anything envolving mapping...)- i could maybe go thru and make a few bots which seem more effective then the rest (lol- i go more into dialogue then imping the bots scripts- bots stripts r limited- i could imp them all i wanted- but they can only go so far-)- i made a "[bot]aerasol" for tc and was accused by many of using hacks in my bot scripts- and others said that they were the most realistic bots they had ever seen (only realising them as bots after i told them... lol- a good number of ppl left my serv after feling like a jack ass for realising they had just been chating with a bot the passed half hour)- well- i did of course put the scripts up to have as good a bot as i could think of- but a lot of my bot stuff envolved dialogue- that is what makes these online games enjoyable- the stupid annoying bot chat that all these mods come up with r a dead ringer for a bot... so- most of my work went into the dialogue- lol- not spouting every 2 seconds, but sayng maybe a word here and there where any normal player would be pissed, obnocsious, or in a position to want to antimidate the other players- but- seeing as how all the wq3 servs have bot chat disabled... not sure if my psychological approach would work here-
Aerasol
Pistolero

Postby torhu » Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:06 am

I'm having a hard time pinning down this bug, because it happens maybe one out of ten rounds for me. Sometimes it seems to never happen. Breli, does it really happen everytime for you?

In that case, could you see if it happens with this patch too? It's testpatch 10 without the first person spectating (first_person_spectating000.diff). I was unable to reproduce the bug with this patch, so if you can't either, maybe I'm onto something. Other people can try too, but make sure you can easily reproduce the bug with testpatch 10 first.

This patch overwrites wq3_pak2.pk3, so you'll have to reinstall testpatch 10 when you're done. wq3_version has the name of the patch added at the end, so you can verify that you're running the patch.

http://folk.uio.no/torhu/wq3/netchan_bug_test000.zip

In case the bug's still there, you can try this patch instead:
http://folk.uio.no/torhu/wq3/netchan_bug_test001.zip
It's testpatch 10 with bots_wait_round_starts000.diff and botsfillserver002.diff removed.

This is based on el_Vakond's suggestions. If it doesn't help, I might have to look at the quake3.exe source to try to figure out what triggers the error message.
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Breli » Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:01 pm

Hi torhu,

Unfortunately, I don't have much time now. Got to get one of my friends into this cage thing with a ring ;). I can reproduce the error (testpatch10) with >90% accuracy as follows:

- Start a BR with 5 bots on each team, skill hard (doesn't matter I guess)
- get yourself killed quickly, so that you don't influence the outcome of a round
- After the bots finally managed to kill themselves, the error pops up

It seems to me, that each time the "last bot standing" invokes the "end" of a round something screws up.

I can't test your new patches right now. I'll test them ASAP on sunday. Probably this procedure will help you to reproduce the bug. Your problem is: You're too good :D. Let the bots win the round ...

cheers

breli
Breli
SG Team

Postby Breli » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:38 pm

Hi torhu,

I tested the "netchan_bug_test000.zip" patch and wasn't able to reproduce the bug with this patch. Apparently, you got it fixed (or localized) in this version of the patch.

cheers

breli
Breli
SG Team

Postby torhu » Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:08 pm

Thanks, Breli. Since we both get the same results, I can start looking at the code now.
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby torhu » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:59 am

Now I've done a small change, which may or may not help. I'm not able to reproduce the bug with this patch. Breli, would you like to try?

http://folk.uio.no/torhu/wq3/netchan_bug_test002.zip

It includes first person spectating, so it's the complete testpatch 10.
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Breli » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:39 pm

Hi torhu,

I played 10 rounds and wasn't able to reproduce the error. Since I was so good at it :D I guess/hope you got it fixed.

breli
Breli
SG Team

Postby torhu » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:36 pm

Thanks for helping me, Breli. Then I guess we can consider this bug squashed. :mrgreen:
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Return to WQ3 Beta 2.1 Testing

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel