With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
WQ3 pre B2.1 archive. Links may not work.

first person spectator problems, testpatch11

Postby torhu » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:39 pm

breli wrote:There is only one strange thing if I use the first person spectator mode: it doesn't work at all. If I try to follow players as a spectator the screen is a blurry mess. It seems that "multiple" views are displayed simultenously. It's very strange. I tried to made a screenshot of it but it didn't work. However, this might be problem of our crappy video cards (Matrox G550) respectively their drivers so we shouldn't feel inclined to work on this. Or my installation is screwed which is not too unlikely Wink But probably somebody can try to reproduce it with other hardware.
We don't start a "normal" server. Just main menu -> multiplayer create -> lets go. Follow a player (not a bot!). I don't know whether this is technically different from "normal" server based games.

Has anyone else seen this? It has worked flawlessly in our testing, so if someone other than breli has seen it, I would be very interested in knowing about it. Make sure you're playing on a pure server (sv_pure=1), and that vm_game>0. If vm_game=0, the server will load the qagamex86.dll instead of qagame.qvm. In case you have that file. And you can type /wq3_version on the server console to verify you're running testpatch11.
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Breli » Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:20 pm

I have an addition to make that might help to localize the problem IF it is not restricted to my machine.

When following a player in first person spectator mode, I can acutally shoot. I hear the bang and can see the animation of the gun. Thus, the engine apparently handles input from my machine. Rather than switchting to the next player LMB results in a shoot. Everything is blurry, since two "pictures" are displayed simultenously (like the old interlaced video modes on the AMIGA if you are old enough to remember that ;)). The screen switches from the player's perspective to "my" own several times within a second.

cheers

breli
Breli
SG Team

Postby torhu » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:16 pm

That helps a lot, thank you.
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby torhu » Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:47 am

Could you make a screenshot and post it? :mrgreen:
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Breli » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:32 am

Hi torhu,

I tested this again with my laptop and got the same result. Thus, the effect is not restricted to my "special" installation. I made some screens but they are normal and show only the player's perspective. AFAIK this bug cannot be reproduced on a "normal" server. I can see this only if I start a multi player game. It works fine on a "normal", dedicated server. As I already wrote, I can shoot and look around while following a (human) player in first person spectator mode.

Hopefully this description will help you. Anyway, its not a big deal since it works fine on "normal" servers. I think we can release the patch with this bug, if you want to.

cheers

Breli

P.S.: A couple of friends and myself are going to play a private BR session in the evening with testpatch 11. This will be a big test for the patch. If anything happens, I'll let you know ;)
Breli
SG Team

Return to WQ3 Beta 2.1 Testing

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel