With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
WQ3 pre B2.1 archive. Links may not work.

[Proposal] Quickscores

Postby torhu » Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:21 am

I don't know what a good name for this feature would be, so I've called it quickscores for now. In deathmatch, I'm constantly checking the scoreboard to see how I'm doing. Am I at the top? If not, how many frags do I need, and should I bother trying? Questions that need answers right now.

In vanilla q3, you can see three numbers on the lower right of the screen. The best guy's score, your score, and the fraglimit. Since I think I'll be able to remember the fraglimit after checking it on the scoreboard, I've put in just the two other numbers in my little mock-up.

The number on the left (14) could always be you own score, and on the right the highest score currently. When your score is the highest, the second best would be shown on the left. Then you'd always know how you were doing.

In team games, it could show your team's score on the left, and the other team's on the right.

We could use the money font for this purpose, to keep consistency. Allowing for two digit numbers should be sufficient. Another possibility is to just make the 'money tab' as wide as the whole center hud piece, that would give the quickscores more room. Or just make it a little bit longer, and steal some space from the money. Money is limited to $200, so we could shorten that field a bit.

Anyone like this idea? And care to do some photoshop work on it? All the wood textures needed are probably in the wq3 pk3 files. wq3_pak0/hud/main.tga is the center hud piece.
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:39 am

I usually only check the score when I have just died and am waiting to respawn so this wouldn't be a big deal for me. However, any ideas to improve the experience of the game is welcomed. I've said it before, feel free to experiment with anything you want......after the 1.2 release! It's not a bad idea though and I realize you are just looking for opinions atm.

Ok, this is the part where you say "Well I meant after the 1.2 release naturally." :lol:
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby torhu » Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:55 am

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:I usually only check the score when I have just died and am waiting to respawn so this wouldn't be a big deal for me.

Well, I guess I don't die as often as you do. :P

after the 1.2 release! It's not a bad idea though and I realize you are just looking for opinions atm. Ok, this is the part where you say "Well I meant after the 1.2 release naturally." :lol:

?'m sure you mean the 2.1 release, not 1.2. 1.2 was the bad old days. I guess it's a bit too late to put this in b2.1. But maybe there'll be a b2.2 later this year? And don't mention the standalone 1.0, cause that's not likely to show up until spring. We all know that, right?
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:57 am

torhu wrote:Well, I guess I don't die as often as you do. :P

Not exactly. When you're winning, you don't need to check the score. 8O

Eh, my bad on the version number. I was having flashbacks to the 1.2 days. :roll:
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby torhu » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:15 pm

Well, here's an actual in-game shot of this feature, and it's working. Since vanilla q3 has this feature, adding it to wq3 was pretty easy. In FFA it shows your score to the left, and the top score to the right. If you're score is the top, it shows number two's score. Same goes for duels. In team games, it shows the team scores, with your team's score always on the left. It's limited to two digits, which should be enough. Negative numbers down to -9 are also shown.

http://folk.uio.no/torhu/wq3/pics/quickscores2.jpg

I could use a hand with the graphics, so if you're good with photoshop, let me know and I'll send you the files. I couldn't get the 'vs' part to match the dollar sign, which looks like it's been burnt into the wood (like with a branding iron). Making it all black wasn't that cool. And I want to put the dollar sign into the actual money field, with no seperator between them. To make it just two fields, money, and scores, instead of the dollar sign having a field of its own, which makes the whole thing look unbalanced. I can do that, it's just the burning that was hard. But I guess I'll end up doing this myself...

Anyway, this feature is ready to go into b2.1. No particular reason it shouldn't because there is very little code change, so no new bugs here. I just need to hear people's opinion on this feature. It can't be turned off, because then we'd need two different hud graphics, and that's a bit pointless.

So who's for and who's against this? If I'm the only one who wants it, then I don't know. It's primarily for FFA, since it's pretty useless in team games. Maybe except for TDM. I guess most of you have seen this feature in other games, so you'll know how useful it is.

One possibility is to put it in the release candidate, and then just remove it for the final b2.1, if too many people think it's one feature too many.
Last edited by torhu on Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Breli » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:33 pm

I like it 8) We should put it in 2.1 IMHO ...

cheers

Breli
Breli
SG Team

Postby torhu » Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:19 am

Ok, I've wrestled with paintshop pro for 3 hours, and almost achieved what I wanted. Some help is still very welcome. It just takes too long to get what you want when you're not used to the app. :?

http://folk.uio.no/torhu/wq3/pics/quickscores3.jpg
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby torhu » Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:52 am

An important reason for adding this feature, is that the scoreboard in wq3 isn't reliable. Too often I press tab, and the scoreboard comes up with no scores on it. I wait for a couple of seconds, but nothing happens. The quickscores will be there all the time.

Can anyone remember if this problem also occurs in vanilla q3, or does the scoreboard work better there? If it's better in q3, then there could be a bug in the wq3 code, which we could fix later. But it's probably the same in q3.
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby L3th4l » Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:26 pm

Nope, vanillia Q3 does not have that problem. I have played Q3 since beta the beta test and the scores have always worked..
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Clink Eastward » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:00 am

I prefer the digit's alone and not XX vs XX , have you thought about just having one score showing the difference as opposed to two lot's of number's.

If you are the leader you see +X between you and second place.

If you are sharing the lead you would see 0

and if you are catching up you see -X
Clink Eastward
Shootist

Postby torhu » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:22 pm

L3th4l wrote:Nope, vanillia Q3 does not have that problem. I have played Q3 since beta the beta test and the scores have always worked..
Hm. Maybe it's a team arena thing? WQ3's scoreboard is based on TA, not q3. But I guess nobody played that one much...
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby torhu » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:36 pm

Clink Eastward wrote:I prefer the digit's alone and not XX vs XX , have you thought about just having one score showing the difference as opposed to two lot's of number's.

Yes, that's a good idea. But I think I'll go for both scores anyway. Because you also need to know how many frags you have left until you reach the fraglimit. So if you have 27 out of 30 frags, and the other guy has 27 too, you will want to know your exact score, not just the difference. You'd probably like to know if the score is 27-28, or 28-29. Just '-1' doesn't tell you that.

But I'm not really sure about this, so I'll think it through and get back to you. Maybe you're right. But then I'd have to do the bloody graphics once more. :)
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby torhu » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:21 am

I made the 'VS' larger, I think it looks ok now. I've kept the system with two numbers.
http://folk.uio.no/torhu/wq3/pics/quickscores4.jpg

If you want to try to improve on the graphics, here are the files you need:
psp 9 file:
http://folk.uio.no/torhu/wq3/pics/main3.pspimage

exported psd:
http://folk.uio.no/torhu/wq3/pics/main3.psd

patch for testing, place your new main.tga file in the 'hud' dir:
http://folk.uio.no/torhu/wq3/quickscores.zip

The alpha channel is needed for the .tga to work, so don't remove that. The placement of the hud and score counts on the screen is set in the ui/hud.menu file, if you need to move anything.

In duels, there are three types of scores: frags, round score, and duel score. The frag count is like in ffa, I think. The duel score is the star count, which you get for each won duel. When you get five stars, you get a round point, shown in square brackets before your name. The round points count against the duellimit cvar. For now, it just shows the fragcounts, because that was the easiest way. Maybe it should show the star count instead.
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Clink Eastward » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:41 pm

I like the version with the 'vs' less prominent.

I honestly thought the '+X' -X' and '0' system would have simplified thing's for you and been flexible with all count's be it round, frag's or whatever, as a quick glance ;)

(being honest with you which is a cool thing I hope)

Look's better anyway :)
Clink Eastward
Shootist

Postby torhu » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:40 am

Clink Eastward wrote:I like the version with the 'vs' less prominent.

Yes, something in between the last two versions would have been better, I guess. I was sort of hoping that some photoshop freak could give me a hand here. But maybe I'll change it a bit before the release. ;)

I honestly thought the '+X' -X' and '0' system would have simplified thing's for you and been flexible with all count's be it round, frag's or whatever, as a quick glance ;)

It wouldn't have simplified the code, because you need two numbers to get a difference anyway. But it could have saved me the trouble of making the 'vs' graphics, which amounted to 4-5 hours. And I think it's ok to have the actual frag count there, since it's very useful info. And the 'vs' should make it pretty self explanatory, I hope. The three-number system in vanilla q3 is more confusing, I think. And the TA system is too much (own score, 1st place, 2nd place). Contrary to TA, the wq3 scoreboard will actually show the correct fraglimit, by the way.

(being honest with you which is a cool thing I hope)

Look's better anyway :)

Of course, that's why I post my suggestions here. It's not my game, it belongs to all the players. And thanks.
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Return to WQ3 Beta 2.1 Testing

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel