With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...

Moderator: Pardner

Testing after the Big Ol' UH OH!!!

Postby L3th4l » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:08 am

We had a slight (well major) problem here and lost 6 months worth of posts due to 6 months worth of corrupted database backups. I was able to save everything else though (registered users, profiles ect...). The only difference you will see is the lack of everything posted in the last 6 months... ouch! :x :cry:

I'm sure Red will make a formal news post as soon as he sees the site is back up.. Now get postin :P
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby haraldx » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:42 pm

OMG... looks like realy something went wrong. i dont care old posts
In Game Name: Harald
Favourite Weapon: Colt Peacmaker
My Favourite Char: TheMexican

Im Amigo With Sombrero On Head And Peacmaker In Hand !
haraldx
Gunslinger

Postby BITE_ME!! » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:19 pm

Wow that really sucks! I had a similar thing hapen to my old hang em high forum. Which is why I started the new one.

Hope you can figure some way to recover old posts...
For another great WildWest game in addition to this visit us at:
http://wildwest-game.com or http://forums.filefront.com/wildwest-250/
BITE_ME!!
Pistolero

Postby L3th4l » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:08 am

BITE_ME!! wrote:Wow that really sucks! I had a similar thing hapen to my old hang em high forum. Which is why I started the new one.

Hope you can figure some way to recover old posts...

Yeah it sucks, this whole site is database driven.

I think to stop this from happening in the future I'm going to split the database up so all the forum posts are in their own own database. The last 6 months of sql backups were corrupted because they were so big and phpmyadmin was dropping half of the post entries. Of course I didn't know this (I do now) when I went to reinstall the DB.. Lesson learned.. lol
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:48 am

Well this is certainly unfortunate, but at least we didn't lose everything. Good job Lethal to get us back online.
I figure we should start a brand new forum once the standalone is out anyway, so not really a huge loss here. The only lost posts that truly hurt are Futsin's Movie of the Month series, Joe Kari's new map thread & the News posts. :cry: I'm out of town today, but I'll make a news post tomorrow that attempts to sum up the news of the last 6 months.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Dadamungo » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:41 am

Glad you got things back up. If you have shell access you might want to use a shell script to do a mysqldump to avoid php or whatever timing out.

I like that black powder pic for POTW, I use to have one similar. Fun guns.
Dadamungo
Shootist

Postby L3th4l » Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:22 am

Dadamungo wrote:Glad you got things back up. If you have shell access you might want to use a shell script to do a mysqldump to avoid php or whatever timing out.

Yes I have shell access but I would have to manually do the back ups (I'm forgetful).. Through phpmyadmin for mysql I had it automated. So I think I'm just going to divide the data into 3 databases and see if that cures it. The real problem lies with our host having a low time out for php and a low query limit (50,000 an hour and our database has 230,000) for the database..
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby L3th4l » Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:25 am

I hope futsin had a back up copy of his recent review. I'm bummed the most about losing some of those reviews..
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Pardner » Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:35 am

Ouch!! Well we lost the MOTM, bug reports, and the recent tutorials. Glad to see the site back up and running.

Pardner
SG Team

Postby EvilFutsin » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:45 am

I unfortunately have no backups of my reviews, which has been stupid of me. I apologize for that. But I will gladly start doing new reviews immediately...also cuz I still have around 12 westerns laying around waiting for me to watch them. :lol:
"I Gotta Believe!"
EvilFutsin
SG Team

Postby L3th4l » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:15 am

EvilFutsin wrote:I unfortunately have no backups of my reviews, which has been stupid of me. I apologize for that. But I will gladly start doing new reviews immediately...also cuz I still have around 12 westerns laying around waiting for me to watch them. :lol:

No need to apologize. I'm the one who should be apologizing to everyone :cry:
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby hika » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:12 pm

I have no backup for the "bleeding edge" version ... sorry :cry:
I understand what L3th4l feels about that ... it already happened for me, at work :oops: .

No need to blame you, since you work on the website, in your free time.
SG name: Manchot
SG fansite: http://western.bsdmon.com
userbar originally created by Caffeine
hika
SG Team

Postby L3th4l » Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:14 pm

hika wrote:I have no backup for the "bleeding edge" version ... sorry :cry:

We didn't lose any files, just forum posts. Unless your referring to the bleeding edge thread.. Which I'm sure we can rebuild that thread... Ed is also going to do a news post today with a summery of everything for the last 6 months..
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Breli » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:48 pm

If things can't get any worse they will ... whetever the curse that has befallen this little project might be: we will get it done

cheers

Breli
SG name: =SG= BRELI

Harmonica: Did you bring a horse?
Gunmen: Looks like we are short on one horse!
Harmonica: No. You brought two too many.
Breli
SG Team

Postby Dadamungo » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:37 am

L3th4l wrote:
Dadamungo wrote:Glad you got things back up. If you have shell access you might want to use a shell script to do a mysqldump to avoid php or whatever timing out.

Yes I have shell access but I would have to manually do the back ups (I'm forgetful).. Through phpmyadmin for mysql I had it automated. So I think I'm just going to divide the data into 3 databases and see if that cures it. The real problem lies with our host having a low time out for php and a low query limit (50,000 an hour and our database has 230,000) for the database..

My memory aint what it once was either. I would put a small script in crontab to back up sites and databases. For the database I would use incremental backups (putting the date in the filename) and tar.gz it.
I just used what I thought was easiest and would cause the least fuss in the future.
Dadamungo
Shootist

Next

Return to SG News

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel