With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...

Moderator: Pardner

Our IRC Channel has moved

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sun May 18, 2008 4:11 am

We are moving our irc channel to #smokinguns @ irc.freenode.net
It's already set up & administrated by one of our loyal fans, DMP. I hope all of our irc users will see this & make the switch right away. If you are unfamiliar with irc, it's a chat program that enables you to talk with developers & fans of the game. There's a nice tutorial here by Pardner if you want to try it. You can check the status of our game servers there, challenge other irc users to a game, and get answers to questions pretty quickly. Big thanks to DMP for setting this up & patrolling the channel. 8)

By the way, as the stand alone draws closer I notice that a lot of people are calling the current version of the game "Smokin' Guns" on several websites. Our website url & irc channel have changed in preparation for the transition & I suppose it's not really a big deal if people jump the gun a bit about this. But the truth is, the game that's available right now is Western Quake 3 untill the stand alone is released. Then & only then will it be known as Smokin' Guns. I say this out of respect for the original team who created this outstanding mod for Q3 & gave us permission to improve it. Iron Claw Interactive.
Last edited by ReD NeCKersoN on Sun May 18, 2008 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby stuffStohl » Sun May 18, 2008 12:05 pm

it is irc.freenode.net :-)
stuffStohl
Pistolero

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sun May 18, 2008 5:23 pm

Danke stuffStohl. I fixed my post. :)
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Sun May 18, 2008 10:17 pm

Cool! Gotta love that "new channel" smell!! Not a big fan of freenode.net, but hey, I'm sure it will grow on me! Freenode does not allow PMs without prior registration; the good news though, I think its a very common (even default) server so maybe we will see more traffic. I will be updating my tutorial for the new server/channel!
-Pard
Pardner
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Mon May 19, 2008 12:10 am

Pardner wrote:Cool! Gotta love that "new channel" smell!! Not a big fan of freenode.net, but hey, I'm sure it will grow on me! Freenode does not allow PMs without prior registration; the good news though, I think its a very common (even default) server so maybe we will see more traffic.
-Pard
Pardner
SG Team

Postby Turtleman » Sat May 31, 2008 12:40 pm

Who is supposed to be using IRC channel? If this is for Smokin' Guns core community it can serve well. But it is too complicated for players with limited computer knowledge. Even with detailed guide from Pardner (big thanks for it!) it is far too complicated for most 'ordinary' people. Between friends I play S.G. most of them probably can't make installation even with Pardner's guide, and for many it is much too unfriendly to use even if I install this on their PC myself.

I definitely don't want to start lame flame war, I am not saying IRC is bad because it does not have smileys and big colourful buttons. Just - it is not for ordinary people (contrary to Smokin' Guns). Maybe this IRC channel is not meant to be for them. But then I think it would be great to have some simple chat (at best something that can be used also from web based client without installation or in future incorporated into "join server" interface) where people can easily find players to set up games or ask for help - but it can't work if core of SG community would be using IRC.
Turtleman
Drifter

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sat May 31, 2008 4:26 pm

Turtleman wrote:Who is supposed to be using IRC channel?

Anyone who wants to use it.

Turtleman wrote:But then I think it would be great to have some simple chat (at best something that can be used also from web based client without installation or in future incorporated into "join server" interface) where people can easily find players to set up games or ask for help - but it can't work if core of SG community would be using IRC.

There is at least one chat client that can be set up to connect to irc. I believe EvilFutsin connects to our channel with his Trillian program, which is free.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby torhu » Sat May 31, 2008 4:41 pm

Web-based IRC:
http://embed.mibbit.com/?server=irc.fre ... smokinguns

Doesn't get much simpler than that. Maybe we should put that link up somewhere. :)

For Firefox users, using Chatzilla as an extension is also fairly easy, but requires some knowledge for finding the right server and channel, etc.
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Sat May 31, 2008 5:05 pm

There is no reason why users have to use mIRC, its just the one I use and prefer to use. Its not the most complicated (hika wrote is own!) but it still allows for some cool stuff/scripts.
If another member wants to add an "alternate client" tutorial to the mIRC tutorial thats would be fine with me. I think last time some member posted alternate clients. It would be nice to have a consolidated list of clients to choose from.

Have to say, torhu's link to the web app its by far the easiest! :wink:
Pardner
SG Team

Postby Turtleman » Sat May 31, 2008 6:37 pm

Thanks a lot torhu, the link is really easy-to-use-no-installation-needed solution for everybody.

What about put this magic link somewhere visible at SG home web page?
Turtleman
Drifter

Postby Dadamungo » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:39 am

I use Pidgin for IRC since I need it for my personal IM and work Jabber client (and to work with Windows and Linux). It doesn't have all the features of mIRC, but I don't utilize most of them anyhow :D.
Dadamungo
Shootist

Postby Bart202 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:34 pm

Hello guys :)
Red maybe correct it to:webchat.freenode.net
It's easier to find :)
thanks and greetings
Bart202
Gunslinger

Postby Pardner » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:50 pm

Its still #smokinguns @ irc.freenode.net

But since the this news post, yes freenode has created their own web based chat that connects to the irc.freenode.net.

http://webchat.freenode.net/
Pardner
SG Team

Return to SG News

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel