With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...

Moderator: Pardner

Postby Joe Kari » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:47 pm

(damn, can't edit there, sorry for double post)
I forget to mention that the name of the map are :
br_alamo_tiny
wq_alamo_tiny

'tiny' because I plan making the outside of the fort someday.

Another question : can you join the smokinguns.fr server ? If I'm not wrong, you must have Alamo correctly installed to join it, so if it end with an error, it should mean that the checksum of your pk3 are bad, meaning your files are corrupted.
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby haraldx » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:12 pm

oh maaan. i only now downloaded the map. and guess what? joe kari and coup george made the map so good that my computer starts to lag whenever i run it. :(

but there are also good news :) . soon i will get a new computer and i will be able to join the fun also in this map :) . but for now happy fragging without me in this map until i get a new computer.
In Game Name: Harald
Favourite Weapon: Colt Peacmaker
My Favourite Char: TheMexican

Im Amigo With Sombrero On Head And Peacmaker In Hand !
haraldx
Gunslinger

Postby Joe Kari » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:39 pm

Hi haraldX,
Alamo has much more hi res texture than other smokin' guns map, so maybe you just don't have enough video ram on your video card.
If you run out of VRAM, it causes dramatic loss of fps (it typically falls under 10 or even 5 fps), cause extra texture are stored in your mother board RAM.
Try to activate 'compress texture', then if it still unplayable, try to play with 'medium' texture quality. When all texture will be back again in the VRAM, you should play it at more or less the framerate of some of lastest smokin' guns map.
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby haraldx » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:28 pm

yeah im already playing on medium quality settings so it all looks kinda weird and.... i dont know. the smaller maps runs great. my computer is just very old. it has 256 RAM and my video card is NVIDIA RIVA TNT2/TNT2 Pro.
other species i even dont want to know. i hope i will get a new computer before SA comes out. btw i also have pentium 3.
In Game Name: Harald
Favourite Weapon: Colt Peacmaker
My Favourite Char: TheMexican

Im Amigo With Sombrero On Head And Peacmaker In Hand !
haraldx
Gunslinger

Postby pansho » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:58 pm

When i try to connect smokinguns.fr it comes up an autodownload :) Im going to try download that now and see if it works. Excuse me for my bad english guys :wink:
pansho
Drifter

Postby Pardner » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:28 pm

ah! you should turn auto downloading off:
/cl_allowdownload 0
Your directories look correct, so I would turn off the auto downloading and give it another try. It might be that the server has some extra files. Also, smokinguns.fr is running IoQ3 as its engine, not VQ3, therefore you need to be running IoQ3 or our SA beta to connect. If you have VQ3, you will not be able to connect.

Pardner
SG Team

Postby Breli » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:30 pm

Just as a side note: it is very difficult (if possible at all) to improve the visual quality of new maps while keeping the overall performance. Quite a few folks, some of them die hard SG fans, out there have fairly old computers (including myself BTW).

It is just a very, very difficult trade off between reaching almost if not all fans and being easy on the eyes at the same time. Joe decided to go the latter route. There is only this much we can do. Thats about it. It will not get better by any miracle or something. These are the limits.
SG name: =SG= BRELI

Harmonica: Did you bring a horse?
Gunmen: Looks like we are short on one horse!
Harmonica: No. You brought two too many.
Breli
SG Team

Postby pansho » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:36 pm

Well i can join smokinguns.fr now when i turned off auto download. But i can't still find the map :|... Where can i get IoQ3 or SA beta then?
pansho
Drifter

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:08 pm

pansho wrote:Where can i get IoQ3?

viewtopic.php?t=1263
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Joe Kari » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:10 pm

I'm really sorry, I don't know why you can't see it... :/
We have tested it with Q3 retail, with IoQ3 and with the beta of the SA, it works well on all three, on both windows and linux...
What happend if you type on the console :
/map wq_alamo_tiny
?

@ Pardner :
Smokinguns.fr run with IoQ3, but is a regular wq3 2.2, everyone can join it (unlike the second test server running the SA), as you can see at http://www.bootblock.de/wq3/.
There is no risk to connect it with autodownload enabled ;)
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby pansho » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:33 pm

when i write /map wq_alamo_tiny in console it just comes up: unknown command.. Well well i think i just going to wait to the SA realese. But thank you for all the help guys :D , if this was counter strike everyone would just call me noob or something 8O
pansho
Drifter

Postby Joe Kari » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:07 pm

Wow... Unknown command for "/map" ? O_o
Maybe you should reinstall completely Q3...
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby Coup'George » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:35 pm

Hello,

On your screenshot, i see : "western quaken beta 2.1"

Are you sure you have "western quake beta 2.2" installed on your computer ?
Coup'George
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Joe Kari » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:44 pm

Yes, and you don't have wq3_pak3.pk3 on your folder.
For the /map command, we have tested it : you have inserted a space before the "/".
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby pansho » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:40 pm

When i tried to write /map wq_alamo_tiny in console it said: cant find map. something like that..

I can try to remove westernquake and download beta 2.2 just in case becouse im not sure if i have westernquake 2.1 :?
pansho
Drifter

PreviousNext

Return to SG News

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel