With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...

Moderator: Pardner

New Dirt

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:24 am

If this is your first time here & yer itching to try the game then READ THIS!
For those who are already participating, I'd just like to say thanks for the great shoot-outs on the servers & the increase of activity in our forum. 8) I've got a few bits of worthy news this week, but first let's have a look at one of our regular outlaws (stuffStohl) crankin' the handle on his favorite weapon.

A SUPER-HUGE shoutout to our northern bud Pappy-R over atPlanet Quake for pimpin' our game & making Smokin' Guns the FIRST EVER PQ Featured File right on the main page! (Did I mention that these same folks graciously host our website?) Hey Pappy-R, if the Canadian winter has you shiverin', I've got a molotov handy with yer name all over it! We'll get ya warmed up one way or another. :wink: Many thanks for sending so many people our way friend.

The good folks at MODDB also advertised for us which was really cool & sent many potential players to our site. Seems SG was discussed on a recent MODCAST that you can stream, direct download or grab from iTunes. The review for SG starts at about the 5:55 mark & goes for nearly 10 minutes. The obvious graphical short comings are mentioned (but not in a bad way) & it's a rather glowing review overall in terms of gameplay & fun factor. A true testament to the awesome work by the original dev team for Western Quake3, Iron Claw Interactive, followed by several years of hard work by Smokin' Guns Productions.

Here's a few quotes from the audio review:
"This is a whole, whole load of fun."
"There's so many good independant games coming out on the Q3 engine lately... & this is one of them."
"I whole-heartedly recommend everyone get this."
"It's definitely going to be easy for you guys to pick it up (& learn) , so do it. DO IT!"

Heh... makes this old cowboy tear up just a bit. As long as yer clicking around, be sure to check out the newSG MODDB page that Pardner started up for us.

I've noticed several other advertisements of our release on various gaming websites, and we'll get to those in our next news post, but one in particular that's special to us is the honorable mention by our good friends at World of Padman. They even made a special WoP flavored icon to honor our WQ3 history! Folks, if you've never tried WoP then you don't know what you are missing. Very, very polished game. Like Smokin' Guns, it's free! So you should definately treat yourself & check it out.

Last but not least, thanks to the game server admins & all of the good folks who provided mirrors for the download.
If you have artistic or coding skills to offer & like SG as much as we do, please register in our forum & help us take this game to new heights.
FYI, Pardner will be helping out with future news posts soon & I'd like to welcome him to the PR side of things in advance.
Last edited by ReD NeCKersoN on Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:57 am, edited 6 times in total.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby yap » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:17 am

Congratulations guys! Nice to see that SG finally gets the attention it deserves (and more servers for us to play of course :D)

And I have even more good news : SG is now part of the phoronix test suite (look here)!
yap
Pistolero

Postby Hideous » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:47 pm

It's spelled "Definitely" ;)

EDIT: Thanks for the correction! -ReD-
Hideous
Drifter

Postby Steely Gaze » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:07 pm

During a small match last night, I was informed that SG got a mention on The Independent Game Source a few days back. It was just another one of those moments when I realized that this release hadn't gone unnoticed. Really cool indeed. :D

http://tigsource.com/articles/2009/01/10/smokin-guns
Steely Gaze
Drifter

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:21 pm

Thanks for that link. I'll mention any good reviews you guys can find in the next news post. Please just add them to this thread.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Hideous » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:46 pm

Actually, the TIGsource forums is what lead me here.
Hideous
Drifter

Postby zeVlad » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:02 pm

Congratulations to SG prod !
I'm the n00b... No mercy !
zeVlad
Pistolero

Postby CoolHand » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:09 pm

Slashdot.org had an article today on free FPS'es. I through out a mention of this in the discussion. I haven't gotten any comments on it yet, so don't know if anyone read it, but hopefully :)

Go SG!
:D
CoolHand
Pistolero

Postby =Chico= » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:24 am

Very nice news post Red. It's good to see the Mod get some of the exposure it deserves. :D
=Chico=
Smokin' Amigo!

newsfeed

Postby mattie » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:03 am

please provide an rss feed to make it easier to follow-up this great project, thanks!
mattie
Newcomer

Re: newsfeed

Postby mattie » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:05 am

mattie wrote:please provide an rss feed to make it easier to follow-up this great project, thanks!

unless I am missing it somehow, of course :)
(no way to edit posts?)
mattie
Newcomer

Re: newsfeed

Postby L3th4l » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:58 am

mattie wrote:please provide an rss feed to make it easier to follow-up this great project, thanks!

RSS feed icon should show up in your browsers URL bar. If not, there is a RSS feed link right next to the SG News title on the main page.
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby stuffStohl » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:00 pm

LOL! Thx Red, for the picture. Now i know the cause of my back pain! Excessive use of Gatlin Power :-)

Greetz,

--stuffStohl--
stuffStohl
Pistolero

Postby Pardner » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:59 pm

Next time you plan on using the Gatling for any extended period of time, I suggest bringing a chair.

Thanks for the RSS Lethal, thats a great idea!
Pardner
SG Team

Postby DeUgli » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:46 am

Pardner wrote:Thanks for the RSS Lethal, thats a great idea!
I second the motion. We're getting so much activity that it's a real help. :)
Irgendeiner wartet immer.
DeUgli
Smokin' Amigo!

Next

Return to SG News

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel