With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
WQ3 pre B2.2 archive. Links may not work.

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:55 pm

Thanks for your high praise Breli. :)
The general consensus seems to be that the money is too easy to get but that it's offset by an easily defended escape point. Sig11's idea is still on my brain for some reason. 8O But I have another idea today as well that involves moving the escape point to another area of the map. Maybe I could stick a small cave in the corner behind the cabin without too much work? Or like you said, we could have 2 escape points if that will work. Chico already suggested escaping down the path by the overturned carriage but I dismissed it since I know how much caulk is around the corner....would mean a tremendous amount of work to make it look like you are really escaping. Hmmmm. I think I'll get to work and just see what happens. :twisted:
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:54 am

Forget I mentioned starting a new thread. The naming convention will remain the same untill the final version. :roll: After some 2 vs 2 today I realized a few things. An aggressive defender can get to the breakable boulder at the same time as a fast robber with a lit fuse. I've been reading the ideas in this thread over again and decided on a 2nd safe to start with. The chosen spot is a little further trip for the robbers than the area near the rope. However, with 3 or 4 potential routes to get gold now the defenders had better watch for a topside approach. Escape point remains the same. I forsee players splitting up much more on both teams for this version.
I have not dismissed a 2nd rope idea for the short bridge nor a 2nd entrance to the escape point. (Although the latter involves real work.) I just think we should make one change at a time and test the gameplay. The following screenshots show the 2nd money location and a bonus for DeUgli. I think I have fixed all of the strafing clip issues but I'm counting on Hika to let me know. :wink: The overall outdoor lighting has more blue tint now, per Chico's request on TS, and is a little brighter. Bots shouldn't get stuck on the bridges now. I'm working on matching details for both maps so it'll be later this week when I upload. I did a fast compile for these shots so please excuse the poor lighting.

Image Image Image

PS. @ Breli: Just to let you know, the bridges are covered with playerclip. Botclips on ground are nearly nonexistant. You've seen bot skating on CB?
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Breli » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:54 pm

Hi,

Great ideas and new stuff, Red! Most likely I will steal some stuff (with your permission of course) to polish poor Backwater a little with the shiny beauty of CoyoteBluff ;)

Concerning skating: Yes, I have seen that in CB and checked the map file lateron. It happens in your clusterportal areas in which you have to "flatten" the ground. It's the same in Backwater. I wouldn't worry about that. It might even spice up boring bot fights ;)

Breli (writing from some place that is actually more deserted than CoyoteBluff ...)
Breli
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:49 pm

Breli wrote:Most likely I will steal some stuff (with your permission of course) to polish poor Backwater a little with the shiny beauty of CoyoteBluff ;)

Help yourself. :D My stuff is your stuff around here.

Concerning the map file. I'll try to upload my .ase models this weekend. Since they are "baked" into the bsp they don't have to be included in the pk3. Saves space on the download.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby DeUgli » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:45 pm

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:a bonus for DeUgli.

Thankee kindly, Red. Think I'll just set a spell. :)
DeUgli
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:55 pm

*Link removed. -ReD-
Seems I didn't correct the "screaming" bot at the small bridge problem after all. :roll: Not enough time to do anything about it now though so it'll have to wait. I also forgot to playerclip at least one spot that I can think of. Other than these 2 things (and horrible bots) I hope the map is pretty much bug free now. The main thing I want to know is how a 2nd money area affects gameplay for br.
Last edited by ReD NeCKersoN on Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby sig11 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:21 pm

It's on my test server already 8) ....
In-game name: =SG= Django (yes, it's cliché :-) )
sig11
SG Team

Postby hika » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:43 pm

It's now on my test server too.
I was playing a bit, just to check the stuck points in bot DM and BR, and to see they are fixed \o/
See ya later ! 8)
SG name: Manchot
SG fansite: http://western.bsdmon.com
userbar originally created by Caffeine
hika
SG Team

Postby Hellrider » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:31 pm

Got a suggestion for br-coyotebluff :

Its concerning the safe in the caves near the rope. If you go up the rope, there are some wood plates obstructing the exit. Maybe you could remove them, so you would be able to cross the area without making any noise.
Perhaps this would make it a bit easier to escape with the money...
Hellrider
Gunslinger

Postby Hellrider » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:39 pm

Oh, and don't forget about this :

8)
Hellrider
Gunslinger

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:41 pm

Hellrider wrote:If you go up the rope, there are some wood plates obstructing the exit. Maybe you could remove them, so you would be able to cross the area without making any noise. Perhaps this would make it a bit easier to escape with the money...

I'll just shift the bottom board up enough so that you can crouch to get under it. It was like that before but I changed it. Eh, I'll change it back.
And thanks for the reminder about the playerclip at the escape.

I think I'll try making another entrance to the escape point and some way of getting from the small bridge to the level above it. This might help the robbers a little more but I think no more changes after this. This map just wasn't made for br. I'll try to have it ready for next weekend.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:10 pm

*Link removed. -ReD-
Here is a new version for BR mode only. No need to change the deathmatch version just yet. I am aware of a bug concerning a boulder at the new entrance to the escape point. I'll fix it later. I decided not to add a way to get from the short bridge to the ledge above at this time. The new entrance opens up a very quick route to escape with the gold from the 2nd safe. The escape point will still be easy for defenders to camp, unfortunately.

So, getting the money from safe1 is relatively easy but escaping is difficult although there are several different routes to consider. Getting the money from safe2 might be difficult, but escaping should be easy if nobody is camping the new escape entrance. Seems like a decent compromise.
Last edited by ReD NeCKersoN on Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby hika » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:33 am

It's already on my test server 8)
SG name: Manchot
SG fansite: http://western.bsdmon.com
userbar originally created by Caffeine
hika
SG Team

Postby Breli » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:00 am

Hi,

I just played a bit against bots: they get oftern stuck at your clusterportals in the tunnels. Looks strange when they are walking against an invisible wall. Probably you can try to make the clusterportal larger and less tricky for the bots to pass through.

Other than that: Great 8)

Breli
Breli
SG Team

Postby DeUgli » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:21 pm

Breli wrote:Other than that: Great 8)

I agree. These improvements will make gameplay much more fun. BR doesn't work well with bots, IMHO, so their getting stuck is just humorous.
Like playing against the Three Stooges.
DeUgli
Smokin' Amigo!

PreviousNext

Return to WQ3 Beta 2.2 Testing

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel