With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
WQ3 pre B2.2 archive. Links may not work.

Maprevision:

Postby Breli » Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:20 pm

Heyho fellas,

We have something special for you guys today: revised versions of Canyon, Dry, Fort, Mine and San Cuchillo! It is some kind of special map pack for our most devoted fans to enjoy ...

As some of you may know, we planned to revise the stock maps in order to fix bugs, get rid of copyrighted stuff and to improve performance. Most changes are rather subtle or even invisible: a crate here, a new ladder there, some bot optimizations ? Nevertheless, some of these changes may change gameplay ? However, we tried to pimp the maps visually by implementing phong shading, enabling dust clouds etc. etc. Obviously, we are not able to improve the maps significantly with terrain blending or major structural changes. We don?t have enough time for that.

Please note, that this is stuff in progress! There are still some "silly" bugs and obvious shortcomings. These maps will NOT be released with the beta2.2 update. Probably, they will not be released at all :roll:

As always, we appreciate any feedback or fresh ideas you may want to give us ?

After downloading and copying the file below to your WQ directory, you will find new entries in your maps list. All revised version have a ?_r? suffix for now. That makes them usable in parallel to the official versions.

*Link removed. -ReD-

Please do not leak this maps to the public!

You may even want to test the new versions on the test servers (sig11, hika?) which is likely going to happen without me, since I am off to my adventure trip through Vietnam on Wednesday morning :mrgreen:

Have fun!

Breli
Breli
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:57 pm

Breli wrote:These maps will NOT be released with the beta2.2 update. Probably, they will not be released at all

Such negativism! If suitable changes are made then map revisions of the stock levels will most certainly be released at the same time as the standalone. In fact, they will simply replace the stock maps at that time. Why offer this to testers if it's for nothing? :wink:
Have fun in Vietnam & please share some photos of your trip!
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby hika » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:17 pm

Revised maps are on my test server 8)
I was wandering a bit on all those new maps.
My first impression was the warm atmosphere we have between afternoon and evening.
It is like the known maps, but at end of the afternoon.

Moreover, I notice some good gameplay improvements.

Breli wrote:we are not able to improve the maps significantly with terrain blending or major structural changes

Did you say not major structural changes ? There are quite some in wq_mine ;) : Two new entrances to the mine and a house near have the stairs inverted.

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:In fact, they will simply replace the stock maps at that time
Perhaps, we can have a poll for that.
For my part, I would like to keep the old ones, just because of the different atmosphere. Perhaps it is only a shader matter ?

Anyway, it is good to rediscover the known maps ;)
SG name: Manchot
SG fansite: http://western.bsdmon.com
userbar originally created by Caffeine
hika
SG Team

Postby Breli » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:49 pm

Hi,

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:Such negativism! Why offer this to testers if it's for nothing?

Nobody is negative here ;) but mapping involves a lot of trial and error, at least from my point of view ...

The main reason I wanted to make these maps public was that I wanted the testers to know what we are up to and, more importantly, what can actually be done about the maps. I guess most people are in the dark what "major structural changes" are and how much work that is. We have now some pieces that give you an idea of feasible changes. Changes like in mine are quite time consuming whereas "dry" was a piece of cake *cough* ;) ... keep in mind that this stuff is in early stages and, hrrm, rather sloppy sometimes ;)

hika wrote:Did you say not major structural changes ? There are quite some in wq_mine ;) : Two new entrances to the mine and a house near have the stairs inverted.

That's the exception to the rule. The reason was to make it more bot friendly. the bots weren't able to exit the mine in the old version (only ladder exits). Now the mine is more closely "attached" to the town. Personally, I like the new layout a lot ;)

hika wrote:Perhaps it is only a shader matter ?

Acutally it is just the color of the sun. I changed it to be slightly yellow rather than white ... it makes a HUGE difference ...

Probably you guys come up with great ideas now ;)?

Breli
Breli
SG Team

Postby DeUgli » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:57 pm

I love the exploding outhouse!
DeUgli
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Pardner » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:06 pm

AAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

you guys are killin me. new backwater, new CB, Lake, and now new map versions. I'm going to be locked up in the loony bin before this month is through. Im going to try to get the new map versions today (10mb isnt too bad) :roll:

Pardner
SG Team

Postby hika » Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:58 am

After wandering around the revised maps, here are some strange pics I took, thanks to Caffeine.
In wq_mine_r

In wq_sancuchillo_r

Image Image

I guess Caffeine will add more pics to show that.
Hope this helps.
hika
SG Team

Postby Caffeine » Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:19 am

More pics of the HOM (Hall of Mirrors) effect on the revised wq_mine:

Image Image

I was standing near where the crosshair is (maybe a bit closer to the door):

Also visible from the middle of the road and the balcony:
Image Image

Here are some from the revised wq_sancuchillo, too:
Image Image

Not visible in this pic, but I think it's originating from the spot where the sandy and rocky textures meet, right above the HUD by the door:

I'll keep an eye out for more of these on other revised maps. The new wq_train looks good. :)
Caffeine
Pistolero

Postby hika » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:53 pm

I have noticed another problem in wq_mine_r.
This time, it is a minor one, but it deserves a report, anyway.
Here are the pics :

Image Image

Just open the door and walk back and forth to trigger the clipping problem.
In the first pic, we see the door.
In the second when walking forward, it disappears.

I have not tried on the old wq_mine.
hika
SG Team

Postby Breli » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:20 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys!

HOM effect: most likely caused by duplicate brushes. Unfortunately, we found the stock maps in a rather bad condition and have to "clean" them up first ... There is also a HOM effect in the current version of fort at the tower. In that cause it is caused by the metashader from easygen.

Clipping: hika reported a similar clipping problem in backwater (in the horseshoemaker's cabin). Although we can clip more space we won't get rid of all potential clipping problems. It is an engine bug. It is even worse if patches are used.
Breli
SG Team

Postby hika » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:34 am

Another report, (a bug report unfortunately ...).
This time, it is in wq_canyon_r.

See the screenshot.
The doors disappeared when we opened them, and I slightly saw them rotate before disappearing. It happened to me in testpatch03 (but I don't think it is related).
I don't remember if these doors can be wide opened in the current version, but for a small fix, perhaps they can remain "not openable" ?
hika
SG Team

Postby Breli » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:15 pm

looks like a missing origin brush. The doors rotate around the center of the map then.

Thx for letting us know!

:)
SG name: =SG= BRELI

Harmonica: Did you bring a horse?
Gunmen: Looks like we are short on one horse!
Harmonica: No. You brought two too many.
Breli
SG Team

Return to WQ3 Beta 2.2 Testing

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel