With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
WQ3 pre B2.2 archive. Links may not work.

Postby L3th4l » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:25 pm

Like I said, it's nothing i can fix (I tried). I tested it on a few other maps and it does it on all of them. This will have to be a job for Sig or Torhu :wink:
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby hika » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:41 pm

Yeah, I have done the same on other maps, with and without the testpatch01.
Same result : the dynamite disappeared.
Like you said, I guess it is definitely a WQ3 engine bug.
Perhaps it deserves a new bug report topic ...
SG name: Manchot
SG fansite: http://western.bsdmon.com
userbar originally created by Caffeine
hika
SG Team

Postby L3th4l » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:41 am

I think I have found a temporary solution for this, just in that one area for train. More to come...
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby sig11 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:13 am

Very cool map indeed, and also on my server now (as are the new version of backwater and coyotebluff, btw).

About the dynamite throwing bug .... yes, I can confirm that ... so far, I only did some testing
In-game name: =SG= Django (yes, it's cliché :-) )
sig11
SG Team

Postby L3th4l » Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:42 am

Well none of my mapping solutions are working, so we can only hope you can find a solution code side.
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Breli » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:37 pm

Heyho,

Great that this favourite of mine gets a thorough makeover! Despite the crude brushwork train is the best map we have (so far) IMHO. Some thoughts from my side:

1) Doors stay open: I think it is better to close them automatically. It generates more "tension". You never know whose shotgun will blast you to pieces if you open the next door. Now you can practically "look" along the whole train. Additionally, it is a tactical element of the game.

2) Please move this box a just a bit so that I can jump on it from the roof ;)

3) Alignment of coaches: ATM the first the coaches are all aligned to the right meaning the gangway is on the left when viewed from the engine. Probably you can switch the second wagon (mirror it along the train axis)? that would give a bit more variation and also helps to avoid looking along the whole train.

4) Textures: the small wooden pad on the side has a wrong texture I guess. Additionally, I don't really like the track elevation ;)

5) "Wooden windows": Would it be possible to make those breakable or something? At least I would like to shot through the windows.

6) Even better, If I can move through them.
Breli
SG Team

Postby L3th4l » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:34 pm

1) Doors stay open: I think it is better to close them automatically. It generates more "tension". You never know whose shotgun will blast you to pieces if you open the next door. Now you can practically "look" along the whole train. Additionally, it is a tactical element of the game.

Frag had it that way and I didn't chage it. It also helps the bots move smoothly

2) Please move this box a just a bit so that I can jump on it from the roof ;)

I have no prblem jumping on that crate :wink:

3) Alignment of coaches: ATM the first the coaches are all aligned to the right meaning the gangway is on the left when viewed from the engine. Probably you can switch the second wagon (mirror it along the train axis)? that would give a bit more variation and also helps to avoid looking along the whole train.

Have no clue what your talking about here..

4) Textures: the small wooden pad on the side has a wrong texture I guess. Additionally, I don't really like the track elevation ;)

What is wrong with the track elevation. All tracks are evelvated on a gravel bed..

5) "Wooden windows": Would it be possible to make those breakable or something? At least I would like to shot through the windows.

They are in place for FPS reasons :wink:

6) Even better, If I can move through them.

mmmmk
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Breli » Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:04 pm

Have no clue what your talking about here..

I mean this: Image

You can look through three coaches in a row making the rooms inside the coaches dangerous places to stay in since the doors do not close and you can't move outta the windows. In BR this will be a "bottleneck" since these coaches can be defended easily I guess.

Flipping the second wagon along its y-axis (or whatever axis that maybe) would help significantly here, since the coaches are not aligned anymore. The doors would be on the right side of the coach (from the engines perspective) making this part more interesting (artistically as well as gameplay wise)

Just a small click in radiant but a giant step for gameplay IMHO ... :mrgreen:

What is wrong with the track elevation. All tracks are evelvated on a gravel bed..

nothing is wrong ;) there is just a sharp contrast between the gravel bed and the normal ground texture ... maybe they can be aligned a bit.

Otherwise: looks great :mrgreen:

Breli
Breli
SG Team

Postby Breli » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:00 pm

A small addition: there is some z-fighting at the outside of the two storey wagon ....
Breli
SG Team

Postby L3th4l » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:33 am

I'm just going to make the doors automaticly close and adjust the windows so you can go through them. I want to avoid having to redo the func_train, it is alot of work to get everything running in sync. Moving or rotating the train would cause me to have to redo all the func_trains..

Gravel texture is just a place holder it will be blended when done..
Last edited by L3th4l on Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby L3th4l » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:34 am

Breli wrote:A small addition: there is some z-fighting at the outside of the two storey wagon ....

Pic please. I don't see it..
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:44 am

EDIT: I wrote the following as Lethal apparantly already addressed some of the things I mentioned. Not gonna rewrite my comments. Just wanted y'all to know. :wink:

First let me say what a great job has been done in the remaking of this map. It is truly worlds above & beyond my simple conversion. :D I do have some comments & suggestions that might help make this THE level that everyone flocks to.

1) I also miss automatically closing doors. There was some debate among testers today as to which approach would be better. At least 2 people liked the fact they stay open. For me, with all of them open, I tend to find a good hiding spot & camp with the sawed-off since wandering around is borderline suicide with more than 3 players in DM/TDM. It's nice that you can see from one end to the other from the roof but now the gameplay is similar for the cars too. Just my opinion. I guess if the doorways were staggered, per Breli's suggestion, I could live with it a little easier & I might even make more of an effort to close doors behind me. As it is now, I usually get shot in the back from 2 or 3 cars down while closing a door.
2) I can't make the jump to the box mentioned by Breli either. Not even close.
3) The broken tunnel ceiling is a known bug. I hope it can be fixed. Stays broken for me more often than not. :| Kills an otherwise gorgeous map.
4) I also know Leeth is aware of the copious amounts of $ pickups. Just thought I'd mention it as a reminder. :wink:
5) The boxes are difficult to climb. By that I mean it's painstaking to jump up from one to the other. Same for the boiler plate pickup. (The old version of train has the same problems for me.) Maybe if they were a little shorter? Perhaps slower machines or a difference in settings explains this phenomenon, as well as not being able to make the afforementioned leap from the caboose.
6) Awesome job overall.....especially with the locomotive. 8) That's a sweet piece of work.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby EvilFutsin » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:36 am

Fantastic map! Seriously fantastic map! 8) I love the flow and pacing, the design is nice, the exterior is very lovely, and it's actually a lot better in terms of balancing than the original, in my opinion.

The main issues are already covered. I like the stayed-open doors since I like the tension of closing them myself, reloading my revolvers, and then going back out again. The thing that Breli pointed out does make things interesting, though, with being able to shoot through three coaches.

Yep, I can't jump to the box either.

One other thing to also point out about the boxes to get to the second floor of the two-story car is that the fact some are at an angle nearly gets me killed - OFTEN. Especially on the br_ edition. The catch is you're not compensating for the fact there's a bit of a slide factor at edges. So yeah, the idea of having them shorter with maybe a ladder near the top (like a 1/3 ladder) might work out.

It's definitely almost there. I think fixing the main glitch and some of the tweaks and you got yourself a winner. :)

Oh and don't ditch the moola! Good stuff! I love that there's a lotta dough. Hell, there's more money on the map than in my first live-action film's budget. But I like you get money since I like being able to buy stuff. A lot.
"I Gotta Believe!"
EvilFutsin
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:31 am

EvilFutsin wrote:Oh and don't ditch the moola! Good stuff! I love that there's a lotta dough.

There could be half the pickups with higher dollar amounts & achieve the same thing. Gathering many gives away your position too frequently imo. You could argue that certain pickups might be ignored as part of your strategy, but who's gonna explain that to new players? You must also consider that killing other players rewards you with a bounty, in certain game modes. :wink:
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby hika » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:38 pm

Here are some of my comments, since most of the points are already discussed :
About closing doors, I like the fact that they stayed opened and the players had to close them by themselves. This is a way to hide from the others and increase the tension before opening a door.

BR mode can be tough for robbers.
About the ladder that lead to the money bank, why not invert it so that we climbed it and became face to the bank ?
Actually, the robber usually loses some precious time reaction, just to turn around.

About the $ pickups, yeah, I agree with upgrading the amounts and reducing the number of pickup points. $ are too noisy ;)

Otherwise, the new train is a real pleasure to play :D. Great job L3th4l !
SG name: Manchot
SG fansite: http://western.bsdmon.com
userbar originally created by Caffeine
hika
SG Team

PreviousNext

Return to WQ3 Beta 2.2 Testing

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel