With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
WQ3 pre B2.2 archive. Links may not work.

Postby torhu » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:29 pm

Here's what I'm thinking for the next test patch. Comments are very welcome.

The ladder autoswitch gets dumped, as expected.

Then there are the reload slowdown, the ammo belt's reduced capacity, and the altfire changes left. If noone disagrees, I'll keep them like they are for now.

I haven't really gotten the feel for these changes myself, so it would be nice to get some more playtesting.
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Breli » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:41 pm

I have one idea about the reducing the speed while reloading: it feels a little bit strange during the game. So I was thinking whether we can do it the other way round: make players with the knife faster and keep the speed while reloading the way it is now. Then you won't have this "slow down" <-> "Accelerate" pattern which disturbes the "flow" ;) (except you change from pistol to knife what, however, doesn't happen that often) ..
SG name: =SG= BRELI

Harmonica: Did you bring a horse?
Gunmen: Looks like we are short on one horse!
Harmonica: No. You brought two too many.
Breli
SG Team

Postby hika » Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:46 pm

Breli wrote:make players with the knife faster

In that case, I would expect some "dumb" players that will run the knife in hand, just to escape faster.
I don't think it will be interesting.
Anyway, I have to experience a case when a player keeps reloading while being stabbed by another one.
It was quite frustrating when I run into a player, trying to knife him while he was able to reload and shoot me.
SG name: Manchot
SG fansite: http://western.bsdmon.com
userbar originally created by Caffeine
hika
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:54 pm

Breli wrote:make players with the knife faster and keep the speed while reloading the way it is now.

I like this idea. They do this in CS, Farcry, and other games. But hika is right, not only would it be a means of escaping faster, but it would be a way of moving about the map faster (BR mode). People do this in CS...they yeild their knife just to move faster, but then quick switch to their weapon when the action starts. This might not be a bad thing but it deffiniatally would affect gameplay. I dont mind the way it is now, because I usually am ducking behind something when Im reloading. But even when Im up and moving, the slow down really isnt bad.

Pardner
SG Team

Postby Breli » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:25 pm

Hmmm. Maybe its the beer but I guess I noticed something strange:

I played on SitW:Testing, latest Backwater. Apparently the latest testpatch got loaded as well. I was slowed down while reloading.

However, while reloading the PM in akimbo mode I WASN'T slowed down ... Only PM. Other pistols in akimbo reloaded normal (with slow down) ...

Strange!

Breli
SG name: =SG= BRELI

Harmonica: Did you bring a horse?
Gunmen: Looks like we are short on one horse!
Harmonica: No. You brought two too many.
Breli
SG Team

Postby Hellrider » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:09 am

Breli wrote:However, while reloading the PM in akimbo mode I WASN'T slowed down ... Only PM. Other pistols in akimbo reloaded normal (with slow down) ...

Yes, breli is right. I tried it for myself a few minutes ago --> i wasn't slowed down when i reloaded the peacemaker in akimbo mode. But if you reload the PM in "one pistol mode" ,i got slowed down.
Hellrider
Gunslinger

Postby hika » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:12 am

I guess it is something about having two same pistols in hands, since it is handled in a weird way (code speaking).
I will have a look at this.
SG name: Manchot
SG fansite: http://western.bsdmon.com
userbar originally created by Caffeine
hika
SG Team

Postby torhu » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:29 am

Reload slowdown works for both guns now. It only checked for reloading of the left hand gun, not the right hand one. Just a little oversight there. :mrgreen:
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby sig11 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:08 pm

On the topic of slowing down while relaoding vs. accelerating with knife only: I think the current solution is better. Accelerating with knife does not really make sense, since you still carry the same amount of stuff with you, why would you run faster then ? Running slower when reloading makes sort of sense: you have to focus on what you do. That all besides the conseuquences described above.
In-game name: =SG= Django (yes, it's cliché :-) )
sig11
SG Team

Postby torhu » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:52 am

The reload slowdown is still in, as of b2.2 RC1. Give it another run of testing, to see that it does what it's supposed to do. Namely make it easier to knife you while you are reloading.

And keep in mind that the slowdown also makes your jumps a bit shorter.
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Previous

Return to WQ3 Beta 2.2 Testing

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel