With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
WQ3 pre B2.2 archive. Links may not work.

Pricing changes

Postby torhu » Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:59 am

Here's what I've got so far, based on other people's suggestions, and some ideas of my own. '->' marks prices that are new, the old prices are included for comparison.

Code: Select all
PISTOLS:
Remington 15
Schofield: 18
Peacemaker: 22

RIFLES:
Winchester 66: 25
Colt Lightning: 30
Sharp's Rifle: 40 -> 37

SHOTGUNS:
Remington 12 Gauge: 24 -> 27
Sawed-Off Shotgun: 27 -> 24
Winchester 97: 35 -> 33

MACHINEGUN
Gatling Gun: 53

ITEMS AND AMMO:
Boiler plate: 15
Scope: 15 -> 8
Ammo belt: 10
Dynamite: 5 for $20 -> $10
Molotov Cocktail: 5 for $20 -> $10
Knives: 5 for $15 -> $8
Primary Ammo: 12 for $ 5
Secondary Ammo: 12 for $ 5

I'm a bit reluctant to change prices for pistols and rifles (except Sharps) yet. Would be weird if the peacemaker and the Winchester 66 cost more or less the same, wouldn't it?

And I don't see the peacemaker as that powerful, considering how much time you waste reloading it. And how everyone can pinpoint your location because of the exaggarated 'pling' sound. But we'll see.

In reality, the sawed-off would probably be more expensive than the Remington, because of the more advanced mechanism that allows it to be reloaded and fired again faster. But who cares.

I think that the usefulness of rifles in this game is limited because most firefights happens at too short range and with too much running around for the extra accuracy of the rifles to be of much help. So compensating for that by somehow trying to make the rifles more useful again, wouldn't make my heart bleed.

This is hardly a 'realistic' fps anyway. You value gettings frags and having fun more than saving your 'life'. ;)

EDIT: corrected the prices of knives.
Last edited by torhu on Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Hellrider » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:25 am

Hmm, interesting changes:

What i like : i like that you can buy dyna, molo's and knives for less money. ok you get only the half than before, but who can use 10 dyna's without getting killed finally :D

However, i doubt if it's good to change the prices for the sawedoff and the remington12. Of course, the remington is a very strong weapon, but only if you can handle it. I've been killed many times while reloading that gun (and this takes very looooonnng......... ). So if you're in a gunfight it's better to change back to the pistols than reloading the remington. On the other hand, i use the sawedoff nearly as often as the remington12gauge, so maybe nothing would change my gameplay... :lol:

About the other changes: I don't care. :)

I'm looking forward to test this and maybe i chnage my opinion concerning the shotguns. :wink:
Hellrider
Gunslinger

Re: Pricing changes

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:40 am

torhu wrote:I think that the usefulness of rifles in this game is limited because most firefights happens at too short range and with too much running around for the extra accuracy of the rifles to be of much help. So compensating for that by somehow trying to make the rifles more useful again, wouldn't make my heart bleed.

Depends on the level & the situation. Most maps, new & old, have great opportunities for riflemen. Seems you just have a preference for close encounters. Personally, I don't think rifles need changing. Although... something about the Henry (1866) makes me never buy it.
Last edited by ReD NeCKersoN on Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby torhu » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:40 am

Eh..I got the amounts of knives and explosives all wrong. You actually get 5 currently, not ten. So then I've just cut the prices in half instead for changing the amount. Maybe the knives are too cheap now.
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Breli » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:53 pm

All your changes are just fine for me :)

However, I am still all for making the PM more expensive. Dunno. ATM the PM is definately a bargain. OTOH if we make it more expensive, weaker players may never get their hands on stronger weapons and the gap between the newbies and the ol' school boys may even increase ... and the least we want is to discourage new players.

Red is right about the Golden Boy. I am a big fan of it since it looks and sounds SOOOO cool. But the return on investment ;) is generally bad. Quite hard to get kills with it (at least for me). The Lightning is much better.

Just think of it: how much regulars acutally use rifles? None.

Finally, I don't think that we really have rifle maps (el paso is the exception to the rule). You are almost always equally well equipped with pistols, even on backwater.

I am torn here. WQ isn't a tactical shooter. It's the fun that makes us play it and not the graphics or the realism (waiting for Crysis hehehe ;)). Sometimes, however, I've wondered whether it will be cool if a wise weapon choice will make more of a difference. Reckless players like me go for the shotguns while the campers go for rifles ...

I guess the best thing we can do is forget about all this philosophy here shot it out already :mrgreen:
SG name: =SG= BRELI

Harmonica: Did you bring a horse?
Gunmen: Looks like we are short on one horse!
Harmonica: No. You brought two too many.
Breli
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:20 pm

I think the general price of the shotgun, rifles (-sharps), and the 2xPM should be about the same. Of course they will have to be different prices, but having the same general price will keep gameplay fair. if 2 PMs are cheaper than the colt rifle, then more people will go for the PMs.

my thoughts...
PMx2 ~= colt rifle ~= remington12
therefore the most expensive pistol setup is about equal to the best/common shotgun setup is equal to the most expensive rifle setup (-sharps)

I aslo like the old price of sharps+scope = gatling. this way a sniper can take out a gatling for the same price. maybe increase the sharps price, becasue it is a affective wepon w/o a scope.

Pardner
SG Team

Postby hika » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:42 pm

I'm fine with the new prices, in general.
Breli wrote:Red is right about the Golden Boy. I am a big fan of it since it looks and sounds SOOOO cool. But the return on investment ;) is generally bad. Quite hard to get kills with it (at least for me). The Lightning is much better.

But, yeah, I don't see lots of people playing with rifles, especially the Winchester 1866.
Each time I buy one, it is not a real efficient investment, generally a waste of money but it is true that I'm no expert in rifles ... probably because I generally prefer Peacemaker for its efficiency.
In BR mode, it was quite fun that some people buy it (mimic me), just after I buy one ... for fun (and perhaps suicide but that is too excessive ;)) ... yeah fun because this weapon is such a masterpiece and the sound is too cool.
Hmm, maybe we can lowered its price ? say 23 ? 24 ?
SG name: Manchot
SG fansite: http://western.bsdmon.com
userbar originally created by Caffeine
hika
SG Team

Postby sig11 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:50 pm

OK, I'll add some noise here ;-) ...

I usually buy the Winchester66, too. For rifles, I think, it's the best value. It's almost the same capabilities as the Colt Lightning, but cheaper. Hmmm maybe this should be changed ?

The only advantage for rifles is the long range ... which, of course, is not always necessary ... but then again, at game play I usually suck anyways :lol: maybe I should reconsider my weapons ;-) ....
In-game name: =SG= Django (yes, it's cliché :-) )
sig11
SG Team

Postby torhu » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:14 pm

Ok, the next testpatch is getting very close. Today or tomorrow, I hope.

I'll change the prices a bit. Here's a suggestion you can comment on. I've tried to incorporate some of the feedback, but it's a bit random too. ;)

PISTOLS:
Remington 15
Peacemaker: 22 -> 23

RIFLES:
Winchester 66: 25 -> 26
Sharp's Rifle: 40

SHOTGUNS:
Remington 12 Gauge: 24 -> 26
Sawed-Off Shotgun: 27
Winchester 97: 35 -> 33

MACHINEGUN
Gatling Gun: 53

ITEMS AND AMMO:
Boiler plate: 15
Scope: 15 -> 10
Ammo belt: 10
Dynamite: 5 for $20 -> $10
Molotov Cocktail: 5 for $20 -> $10
Knives: 5 for $15 -> $8
Primary Ammo: 12 for $5
Secondary Ammo: 12 for $5

I've kept the price of the unscoped Sharps, since it's really a badass weapon. We don't want too many players running around with it. And I figure it's better not to make the Remington more expensive than the sawed-off, since we probably should switch the order of them in the buy menu if we do that. Too much confusion for not that much gain.

Doing something about the usefulness of the rifles probably will have to wait for a later patch, since it might have to involve more than just pricing changes.
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Breli » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:33 pm

Ok. Fine with me with one exception: Please keep the price of the Winchester66 ... it is indeed an efficient weapon if handled well but it is not "good enough" to justify price increase IMHO ...
SG name: =SG= BRELI

Harmonica: Did you bring a horse?
Gunmen: Looks like we are short on one horse!
Harmonica: No. You brought two too many.
Breli
SG Team

Postby hika » Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:28 pm

It's fine with me about increasing the Remington 12 gauge 's price.
It's OK for me too, if the Winchester 66 's price is increased (a bit) to keep the price's balance, since some work is in mind about the rifle's efficiency.
SG name: Manchot
SG fansite: http://western.bsdmon.com
userbar originally created by Caffeine
hika
SG Team

Postby Hellrider » Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:34 pm

Sounds good to me. Only one thing: Please keep the price of the remington12gauge.
I think it's a good weapon for the beginners. On the one hand this weapon is very strong ,if you get a good hit at your enemy but on the other hand you only got two shells and it takes very long until this shotgun gets reloaded. (I`ve been killed many times while reloading that weapon, so i decided for myself in gunfights to change back to the pistols, when the remington is out of ammo :D )
Hellrider
Gunslinger

Postby torhu » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:47 pm

Since there seems to be differing opinions about the prices, I'll just keep most of them like in b2.1.

PISTOLS:
Remington 15
Peacemaker: 22

RIFLES:
Winchester 66: 25
Sharp's Rifle: 40

SHOTGUNS:
Remington 12 Gauge: 24
Sawed-Off Shotgun: 27