With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
WQ3 pre B2.2 archive. Links may not work.

Bot difficulties

Postby hika » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:23 pm

I don't know if it is a bit late or not, since the next patch will come sooner ar later.
I'm wondering if bot difficulties can be modified, next time, at least the "medium" difficulty.
Currently, medium bot (skill 3) are too weak, in my opinion and hard bot (skill 4) are, well, a bit too difficult for most of the players, and have a tendency to make lots of headshots.
I think there are a lot of different between medium and hard.

Some of my mates suggests me to enhance the medium bot's attack skill, so that the bot behave like hard bot and do some strafing attack, and to keep its accuracy skill.

I remember having done this by modifying the "./botfiles/bots/male1_c.c" file in wq3_pak0.pk3.
SG name: Manchot
SG fansite: http://western.bsdmon.com
userbar originally created by Caffeine
hika
SG Team

Postby sig11 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:26 pm

In general, I also would suggest modifying botfiles/bots/male1_c.c. There's also botfiles/bots/default_c.c which resides in pak0.pk3 or its replacement pk3.

Currently, both only define a level 1,4 and 5 bot. So, level 2 and 3 are identical to 1 (I guess).

Note, however, that the replacement default_c.c file already defines all 5 levels which chamges bot behaviour a little bit already.

Probably, simply explicely defining level 2 and 3 bots in botfiles/bots/male1_c.c may already help.

In the long run, though, it might be worth to look at the bot code.
In-game name: =SG= Django (yes, it's cliché :-) )
sig11
SG Team

Postby torhu » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:56 pm

If we could make the level 3 bots start shooting earlier and maybe crouch a bit less, they would probably be more interesting to play against. But then again, that might make them too good to use as the default skill, so maybe we'd have to go back to level 2 for that.
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby hika » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:23 am

sig11 wrote:In the long run, though, it might be worth to look at the bot code.

Yeah, I was thinking about that.
Maybe we could make them walk and camp more often, instead of running all the way.
About the current medium difficulty, I agree it is probably better to assign this to skill 2 and enhanced skill 3, a bit.
SG name: Manchot
SG fansite: http://western.bsdmon.com
userbar originally created by Caffeine
hika
SG Team

Postby sig11 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:44 pm

I've just tweaked the bot skill file quite a bit (back and forth), and on the way I also learned (which may be common knowledge ...) that the engine only reads skill 1, 4 and 5. It interpolates 2 and 3 in between 1 and 4. Only 5 can be specified independently.

Anyways, my changes make the bots a bit stronger in general, so that the default could indeed be 2. You mean g_spSkill, right ? BTW, why not make g_spSkill=2 in default.cfg, but g_spSkill=3 in server.cfg ?
sig11
SG Team

Postby BNT » Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:57 pm

what about just add a new skill? it would be the best. and the gun cylinder showing the difficulty have 6 holes... so 6 skills would be better. may we can call it like "normal".
ingame name: *frantic romeo* / *BNT* / *Buck Ned Tatscher* and maybe more...
BNT
SG Team

Postby torhu » Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:04 pm

sig11, could you post a link so we can test the new skill levels?
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby sig11 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:41 pm

I've just posted a replacement file in the private section. But I have no problem giving it to beta testers, too.

@BNT: the engine only knows abou skill levels 1.0 to 5.0. The 6 bullet cylinder is a bit unfortunate :-( ... everybody who is interested: it's BotLoadCharacter() in botlib/be_ai_char.c of the engine (e.g. standard Q3A) .... hmmm OTOH, fractional skills seem to work, like skill 2.5 .... hmmm ...
sig11
SG Team

Return to WQ3 Beta 2.2 Testing

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel