With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Old WQ3 forum - archived. Links may not work.

Router won't allow server update

Postby DeUgli » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:36 pm

I have an XP machine and a Ubuntu machine connected by a router. The old router died, and I bought an identical D-Link EBR2310 replacement. Everything works fine, except that if I use either Monster Browser or the ingame server update, that app freezes after one server is found. Then, until I reboot (XP) or restart Gnome (Ubuntu), my entire Internet connection is lost. This must be a router config problem, but I don't know what to change. The firmware is up-to-date.

I can join a server and play on either machine, if I specify the server ip.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks.
DeUgli
Smokin' Amigo!

Re: Router won't allow server update

Postby hika » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:57 pm

DeUgli wrote:Then, until I reboot (XP) or restart Gnome (Ubuntu), my entire Internet connection is lost. This must be a router config problem

As your desktop machine (XP or Linux) is not dependant of your router's WAN connection, I doubt it is a router problem if rebooting your desktop solves the problem.
But, first, after you launch a server list update (Monster browser or Ingame browser), it might be interesting to check if you can still reach the Internet with another desktop machine ...
If the Internet connection is OK, then it might be a problem with your desktop.
If the Internet connection is lost, then it might be a router.

After that, we can pass the first step and go further in the investigation :D
Let us know of the results ;)
SG name: Manchot
SG fansite: http://western.bsdmon.com
userbar originally created by Caffeine
hika
SG Team

Re: Router won't allow server update

Postby DeUgli » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:22 am

hika wrote:But, first, after you launch a server list update (Monster browser or Ingame browser), it might be interesting to check if you can still reach the Internet with another desktop machine ...
If the Internet connection is OK, then it might be a problem with your desktop. If the Internet connection is lost, then it might be a router.

Very good suggestion. I tried it, and both machines kept their connections!
First, I ran Monster Browser on XP, and it claimed to have pinged all 1600 something servers, but didn't find one. Then I used the standalone search on Ubuntu, and that found one server, one in California that is probably the lowest ping.

I can enter a list manually in Monster Browser, so I guess I won't worry about it unless something other bad thing happens.

Thanks for your help.
DeUgli
Smokin' Amigo!

Return to Help Forum

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel