With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Old WQ3 forum - archived. Links may not work.

Help Creating Lan Server with Ubuntu

Postby eekie » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:45 am

I can create my lan server but when I try to connect I get the clien_unkown_to_auth error I have port forwarding for quake 3 27900-28000, I am running ubuntu linux 8.04 Hard LTS. Also when I hover over the start server button I lose sound? Any ideas?

Thanks
Last edited by eekie on Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
eekie
Newcomer

Postby eekie » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:06 am

***Update***

If I try reconnecting it connects okay for some reason... Just the initial connection attempt gives me the client_unknown_to_auth error... However it appears to disable all sound when I hover over the start server button... Even in other applications...

Any ideas?
eekie
Newcomer

Postby Tequila » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:15 am

Which client are you using ?
How did you install the game ?

Always give us all informations that can help us to imagine how you are trying to run the game, please
;)
Tequila
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:01 pm

eekie wrote:However it appears to disable all sound when I hover over the start server button...

How are you launching WQ3? You will have bad luck if you launch WQ3 through the Q3 main menu. You should launch WQ3 via a shortcut. Create a new shortcut to "quake3.exe" and add the following to the end of the target path: "+set fs_game westernq3" I have never been able to launch WQ3 through the Q3 main menu.

I don't know if this is your problem or not. You didn't give much information.
How did you install Q3/WQ3?
Are you using VQ3, IoQ3, or OpenArena?
Do you have Pr1.32?
Is the LAN server on your same LAN?
Can you play a single player match against bots?
Can you join a public dedicated server such as one of these

I found this site that explained a little bit about "client_unknown_to_auth". I'll repost it here:
5.16 I have a router or are using NAT and noone can connect inside the firewall to it. Why's that? Some are getting 'client unknown to auth'!

NAT is tricky. The documentation for the reverse-NAT should be given to you with the equipment. Things like MSP, LynkSys, and others are very different and detailed when specifying which ports to bind to an address. Good place to start is to see how to bind a webserver first, then adapt that to Quake3. Remember that quake3 first sees the client's connection on the 'listen' port, then tries to connect the client on a subsequent 'qport', a UDP dynamically-assigned port that can be, well, anything within range. IF you are getting 'Client Unknown to AUTH' errors, this is probably why; the server can't get the client on an open 'qport'.

So it seemes it is a port issue, but this site adds a little more information:
CLIENT_UNKNOWN_TO_AUTH

Graeme Devine recently updated his .plan with very complete information about CLIENT_UNKNOWN_TO_AUTH errors.
See some additional information from the gameadmins.com mailing list:
If the server you are playing on and the auth server don't see you as the
same IP (for instance you are trying to play on a public internet server
that's on your LAN, and your internet access is using NAT), then it won't
work.
It used to work in 1.31, and it doesn't in 1.32. PunkBuster requires
reliable auth of the players. What you can do:
- run a server with sv_strictauth 0 and you'll be able to join your
server. This will be the same behaviour as 1.31
- connect to a server on the internet before you connect to your local
server (this will trigger your IP into the cache of the auth server for
15mn and let you in to your local server).
- setup two NATs, one for your client one for your server and make sure
your server and Id's auth see the same IP. (this one ain't for network
setup newbies)

If I were you I would give the following a try:
  • With your current set-up, try setting "sv_strictauth 0"
  • Check how you installed Q3, Pr1.32, and WQ3
  • Check how you are launching WQ3. Make sure its through a shortcut.
  • Make sure that the server is actually running a port thats between 27900-28000. I think the default is 27960, but I would set it in the config just in case.
  • Give playing a single play match against bots a try. Then try to connect to a public server. If this doesn't work then you know you have a bad install.
  • Make sure PunkBuster is not interfering. You might want to try uninstalling it just to make sure it is not affecting anything. I dont have it installed.

I hope this helps, and welcome to the forums eekie. Please let us know how you make out.
-Pard
Pardner
SG Team

More Info

Postby eekie » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:37 pm

Sorry for the lack of info guys, I should know better...

I am running ubuntu hardy, I installed Q3 through the pointrelease version 1.32b (linux had mouse issues with 1.32) and copied my base3 folder over from cd. Then I had installed wq3 through the zip file for linux users (wq3_b22_full.zip) and copied everything to /usr/local/games/quake3. When I run wq3 I run it through the terminal with "quake3 +set fs_game westernq3". I can play single player fine and play fine through the mentioned servers. I can even connect to my created lan server if I wait a bit longer or try reconnecting a few times... My biggest issue appears to be either a bug in the create server screen or an issue with ubuntu.

In the create server screen whenever I hover my mouse over the start server button, it kills all sound. Even in other apps while the server is running. Possible disabling alsa or oss not sure which quake3 uses... When I kill the created server it restores my sound.

Thanks for you help in advance. I'm also going to start a thread on the ubuntu forums incase its a ubuntu issue.
eekie
Newcomer

Postby Tequila » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:43 pm

Hi,

Your installation looks good but you should try other engine than official point release.

I'm only running WQ3 with linux and I'm using ioQ3 engine 'cause it has OpenAL support and then better sound support. Check the sticky post from this forum to try it: viewtopic.php?t=1263

Or you can try the official site for installation wizard. From the command line you will only have to change "quake3" by "ioquake3"...

Maybe you will have to install openal package if Ubuntu has it.

In fact you may have few conflict between sound software wanting to share sound devices... and that's not working well with point release.

Good luck
:wink:
Tequila
SG Team

Postby hika » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:03 pm

Pardner wrote:With your current set-up, try setting "sv_strictauth 0"

I'm pretty sure you did not set "+set sv_strictAuth 0" in the command line.
As far as I remember, it has a relation with the client CD Key authentication.
By setting sv_strictAuth to "0", the server will not ask a valid CD Key, and then it will not try to connect to the master server (which means the LAN server needs to have an Internet connection).
SG name: Manchot
SG fansite: http://western.bsdmon.com
userbar originally created by Caffeine
hika
SG Team

Return to Help Forum

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel