With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Old WQ3 forum - archived. Links may not work.

Possible hope for Mac gamers...

Postby Ashner the Lynx » Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:03 am

...or at least how I got it to work for me.

I have been trying to get Western Quake3 (WQ3) running on my Mac Powerbook for a couple of weeks now. Ever time I would try it would crash.

I tried running it from the command line to see what the error was. It is what other on this forum has reported:

$ ./Quake3.app/Contents/MacOS/Quake3 +set fs_game westernq3
command line: +set fs_game westernq3
Q3 1.32b MacOSX-ppc 06/16/03
----- FS_Startup -----
Current search path:
<snip>
../qcommon/vm_ppc_new.c:1736: failed assertion `opStackDepth < OP_STACK_MAX_DEPTH'

However, tonight I decided to start from scratch and do a fresh install. I downloaded the 1.30 release, then the 1.31 and 1.32 point releases and installed them. I then tried t run WQ3 and behold it worked. Bots, online multiplayer. It was all good.

Next I downloaded the Jaguar altivec beta update hoping that I had fixed my problem. But it had the same opStackDepth error.

So, it looks like you can use the last Quake3 1.32 point release before the Altivec betas. I found a full installer for it on planetquake3, below is the URL. The file you want is Quake3-132.pkg.sit.

http://www.planetquake3.net/download.ph ... d&lid=1213

This will install Quake3 in the /Applications directory and populate the base3 and missionpack directories with the necessary .pak files.

FYI, I found two different installers for the G4 Altivec update, Quake3-132-Jaguar.pkg.sit and Quake3-132-AltivecTest2.pkg.sit. The jaguar package is dated June 6, 2003 and the AltivecTest2 packages is dated June 19th 2003.

If you install the Jaguar package It will rename the original Quake3.app to Quake3 10.1.app. This is the one that will work for WQ3. The update also adds Quake3 10.2 G4.app and Quake3 10.2.app. Both of these fail to load WQ3.

If you then install the AltivecTest2 package it will add Quake3 G4.app and Quake3.app. Still, the only one that will work for WQ3 is Quake3 10.1.app.

Good luck, hope to see you online.

-Ashner
Ashner the Lynx
Newcomer

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:50 am

Great post! 8O I hope this helps more Mac users join the ranks. Think I'll "sticky" this one. Thanx for the info Ashner the Lynx!
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Deadeye » Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:46 am

Hey. Noobish Mac user here. How do I even get to the place to enter something into the target line? I tried entering set fs_game westernq3 in the console, but it said fs_game was protected. Also, could you dumb the steps down a bit? :D
Deadeye
Newcomer

Postby BITE_ME!! » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:07 pm

Ian is that you???? Hello!!
BITE_ME!!
Pistolero

Postby pionata » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:42 pm

Installation instruction for mac (again) Using osx tiger

1) drag the westernq3 folder into the quake3 folder.
2) Make sure you have the patch mentioned above:
Quake III Arena 1.32 (MAC) 27.82 MB 02-Nov-2002
http://www.planetquake3.net/download.ph ... load&cid=3

Then launch the game using the Quake3.app and not the Quake3 G4.app.

Choosing mod in the menu works for me, but if it doesnt try this:

Open the terminal - Show the package of quake3.app and browse to contents/Macos/ - Drag the quake3.app to the terminal window - paste this after : +set fs_game westernq3 - Press enter

Hope this helps out someone, now if people were playing the mod it would be cool... :) Maybe the ingame browser is broken? it only shows like 5-7 empty servers...
pionata
Newcomer

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:45 am

pionata wrote:now if people were playing the mod it would be cool... :) Maybe the ingame browser is broken? it only shows like 5-7 empty servers...

It's true there aren't a lot of players but you can find some if you look at the right time. Check out http://www.bootblock.de/wq3 to quickly see if someone is on a server. You can also view each server's stats to see which are the most popular and at what time people are there. Thanks for your Mac knowledge and welcome to the forum. :D
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby pionata » Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:56 am

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:
pionata wrote:now if people were playing the mod it would be cool... :) Maybe the ingame browser is broken? it only shows like 5-7 empty servers...

It's true there aren't a lot of players but you can find some if you look at the right time. Check out http://www.bootblock.de/wq3 to quickly see if someone is on a server. You can also view each server's stats to see which are the most popular and at what time people are there. Thanks for your Mac knowledge and welcome to the forum. :D

Its wierd there is like 10 000 downloads, its in the top 2 or 3 most popular quake 3 mod on fileplanet... why would they all play with bots?! I guess people must just be download addicts.

I rescently downloaded the highly popular alien swarm mod and a few other popular mods (including the new map pack) for ut2004 and same thing, 5 servers, only like 3-4 players online - no one playing the new maps.

People are lame... (only spacectf servers are still quite popular) lol

But congratulation for your mod, I cant wait to try something else than deathmatch it with real people. I know how hard it is to finish something and actualy release it, Im the leader of the Wizards' Islands mod for Morrowind released last year (due to lack of money and time, our website has been down for a few months). When you get close to releasing something, and realise there is always more work to do, you feel like your going to die. :) (takes such a rush at the end...)
pionata
Newcomer

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:17 am

Amen to that! :lol: At any rate, we are hopeful that our free, stand-alone release of WQ3 (sometime in 2006) will drastically improve online activity. If you're in North America's timezone, I'd be happy to try and meet you on a server sometime. You might be surprized at how more players can show up once a server has someone in it. :wink:
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby bennyp » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:07 pm

Yeah so I tried the simple steps (didn't bother reinstalling everything)
and I still get the error. Yes, I'm using the quake3.app, not Quake3 G4.app
bennyp
Newcomer

Western Quake 3 on Mac without Quake3

Postby Puddytang » Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:16 am

This is how I got it to work on my intel iMac.
1. Download OpenArena and get it running (you need the linux tar file and a little ioquake launcher.
2. Put the western quake files in the same folder (for some reason it is called 5dLoFa.
3. Start OpenArena and choose mods -- Western quake 3 (read FAQ)

It works! Once I figured out I had to set my own controls I was able to mow down a bunch of clint eastwoods with dynamite. And I can see that the game is complete awseomeness! but it is not free of bugs and there are no servers, which I didn't expect since theres very few open arena servers and typing in the IP address also seems to be broken.
--Cheers--!![/b]
Puddytang
Drifter

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:12 am

Always nice to see MAC users here. 8)
it is not free of bugs and there are no servers

True that wq3 is not bug free, but it certainly has far fewer bugs than it did since version 2.0 :wink:
And there are servers! Look HERE for the list.
I know basically know nothing about openarena, but maybe someone else can help you here. Keep checking back & welcome to the forum!
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby sig11 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:36 pm

It seems, OpenArena has issues with servers. See here.

Either way, it'll be interesting how the SA works out for you - cause I have relatively little experience with Intel Macs.
In-game name: =SG= Django (yes, it's cliché :-) )
sig11
SG Team

More tips on open arena

Postby Puddytang » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:02 am

The servers dont show up in the browser but you can connect using the IP by clicking specify. The only trick is you have to use the numbers at the top of the keyboard, If you use the number pad you will have problems. :|
Puddytang
Drifter

Postby torhu » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:27 am

You can use ctrl+v to paste the address into the console, it's a lot quicker than typing it in.

Pull down the console, type '/connect ', press ctrl+v, press enter. Of course, you have to have the address in the clipboard before doing this. ;)
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Re: More tips on open arena

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:39 am

Puddytang wrote:The only trick is you have to use the numbers at the top of the keyboard, If you use the number pad you will have problems. :|

It's the same for any Q3 engine game. At least, it is for me on a Windows XP system. (I remember it being that way on Win98 too.)
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Return to Help Forum

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel