With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Old WQ3 forum - archived. Links may not work.

Need help keep crashing to desktop.

Postby Zippy » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:05 am

I did a search for this problem and it seems everyone gets the same reply "download the bugfix" where can I find this "bugfix"? I crash to desktop every couple of minutes its really annoying
Zippy
Drifter

Postby torhu » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:12 pm

What happens when it crashes? Does quake3 give you a message, or does it just drop you to the desktop? Does it happen in other q3 mods too, or in vanilla q3? Does the game actually run for a while before it crashes, or does it crash before you can start playing?

If there's no message then you might have a problem with your graphics driver. If you can play other OpenGL games ok, then your quake 3 installation might me screwed up. But I'm guessing you have a driver problem, or possibly a hardware conflict/instability.

If the 'bugfix' is the wq3 b2.1 patch, it's available here. But not having it won't cause a crash, you just won't be able to join a server.
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Re: Need help keep crashing to desktop.

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:46 pm

Zippy wrote:I did a search for this problem and it seems everyone gets the same reply "download the bugfix"

That was for version 1.2 which nobody plays anymore. So, if you are trying to play version 2.1, you don't need a bugfix. As mentioned above, sounds like a graphics issue or your q3 installation is borked. Some more information from you might be helpful. :)
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Zippy » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:02 am

Hmm ok well thanks for the replys. Here is some more info on my problem. Its not a ingame error like I dont geta hunk meg or anything like that the game crashes to desktop and I get a windows error message. Sometimes I can play for 5 minutes before crashing sometimes 20... I only really play western quake3 though I did try another mod last night and it happened in that to so I guess it would happen in any mod. I play half life 2 and americas army just fine infact I have played quake3 with this same hardware setup just a long time ago. What might be some things to try here? Im going to download new video drivers now though I doubt thatll do much.
Zippy
Drifter

Postby torhu » Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:19 pm

You probably don't need to download new drivers, reinstalling the old ones should do. And if that doesn't help, reinstalling q3, then q3 1.32, then wq3. I suppose you don't have an overclocked video card or something?

If it still doesn't help, you could post the error message here. You can take a screenshot of the message box by pressing alt+printscreen, then pasting it into Paint or Photoshop.
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Zippy » Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:11 am

Well I downloaded new drivers went for a few hours without crashing.. Then it started again with the crashing last night =\. I suppose ill try to reinstall quake3 and what not when I get off work. I dont overclock anything so thats out of the question =\
Zippy
Drifter

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:41 am

Something could be overheating. Check to make sure your fans are working and that your components aren't caked with dust. Also, do a search on google for memtest. It's a free program that'll test your ram. You could have a failing stick of memory.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby L3th4l » Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:07 pm

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:Something could be overheating. Check to make sure your fans are working and that your components aren't caked with dust. Also, do a search on google for memtest. It's a free program that'll test your ram. You could have a failing stick of memory.

His other games (HL2 and Americas Army) play fine so that rules out overheating and memory problems.

uninstall quake 3 via add/remove programs
Goto where quake 3 was installed and delete the whole quake3 folder
Re-install quake 3, then the 1.32 point release, then install WQ3.
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Zippy » Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:32 am

Well I installed new video drivers, reinstalled quake3, 1.32 patch, and wq3 twice and I still crash like crazy =\. Anyone have any ideas what it could be? I really like to play but not when I crash every 5 minutes
Zippy
Drifter

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:47 am

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:Check to make sure your fans are working and that your components aren't caked with dust. Also, do a search on google for memtest. It's a free program that'll test your ram. You could have a failing stick of memory.

It still wouldn't hurt to check this.
LINK TO MEMTEST
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Zippy » Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:22 am

well I downloaded it but I have no idea how to use it =\. I doubt its a heat issue more if I can run americas army and hl2 just fine. Dont know what the hell it could be I played quake3 with this same rig several months ago. Id really hate to have to format just for quake3 =\
Zippy
Drifter

Postby Pardner » Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:54 pm

do you have anything running in the back ground? This weekend, a norton subscription notice poped up and crashed WQ3. Try closing everything thats doesnt need to be running and disable you anti virus.

also after it crashes to the desktop, does it go back to your windows color and size settings or does it stay in the quake3 color and size settings?
Pardner
SG Team

Postby Zippy » Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:52 pm

Ill try playing with everything closed now. When it crashes I get the windows message that quake3 isnt working properly please send a copy of this error to microsoft blah blah and my colors are all fucked up. I have to open quake3 again and close it to return to normal/
Zippy
Drifter

Postby Zippy » Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:14 am

well I closed all the backround applications turned off anti virus and all that stuff. Still crashing =\ im running a geforce 4 ti 4800 128mb, gig of ddr ram, and a amd 2100 xp.
Zippy
Drifter

Postby Zippy » Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:07 am

well I turned off gl extensions and It seems to have worked.
Zippy
Drifter

Next

Return to Help Forum

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel