With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Old WQ3 forum - archived. Links may not work.

black screen

Postby Mazter » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:17 am

Hi,

I'm using Quake 3 1.32 on linux, it runs fine. Now I've downloaded WQ3 and copied it to the quake3 dir, but when I launch it using the line quake3-smp +set fs_game westernq3, quake starts but the screen stays black, I can hear the sounds or when the mouse passes over the menu but no graphics.

Any ideas?
Mazter
Mazter
Drifter

Postby torhu » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:21 am

Does vanilla q3 work like it should? Or is wq3 the only mod you get this problem with?
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Mazter » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:28 am

torhu wrote:Does vanilla q3 work like it should? Or is wq3 the only mod you get this problem with?

Vanilla q3 works fine, the problem is with wq3, oh and I've just found that world of padman doesn't work either, happens the same thing.
Mazter
Mazter
Drifter

Postby DeUgli » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:27 pm

I had that same black screen problem with an older version of WQ3.
(I suspect it was caused by having a lot of custom vanilla Q3 maps with weird shaders but I didn't want to get rid of those maps.) Anyway, my workaround was to set the monitor to its brightest and least contrasting setting, which enabled me to see the Western Quake screen enough to go into "Settings" and set the brightness very high (light). Then I turned back down my monitor and could play WQ3.
DeUgli
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Mazter » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:05 pm

DeUgli wrote:I had that same black screen problem with an older version of WQ3.
(I suspect it was caused by having a lot of custom vanilla Q3 maps with weird shaders but I didn't want to get rid of those maps.) Anyway, my workaround was to set the monitor to its brightest and least contrasting setting, which enabled me to see the Western Quake screen enough to go into "Settings" and set the brightness very high (light). Then I turned back down my monitor and could play WQ3.

I can't absolutely see nothing, setting the brithess at it's maximum does nothing, but thanks for the suggestion.
Mazter
Mazter
Drifter

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:31 pm

I don't know anything about Linux, but maybe you might try a different set of drivers for your video card? It may not help but it's worth a shot.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:48 pm

going from DeUgli's idea: try adding this to your westernq3 shortcut...
+set r_gamma 3

i think this is close to the max r_gamma. it will make wq3 as bright as possible.

Pardner
SG Team

Postby sig11 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:41 am

Here's yet another suggestion : what happens when you start a map directly ? eg.. quake +set fs_game westernq3 +map wq_dry or, what happens if you use the non-smp version ?
In-game name: =SG= Django (yes, it's cliché :-) )
sig11
SG Team

Postby Mazter » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:29 pm

Pardner wrote:going from DeUgli's idea: try adding this to your westernq3 shortcut...
+set r_gamma 3

i think this is close to the max r_gamma. it will make wq3 as bright as possible.

Nope, no change, I can't see anything. The only thing I've noticed is that if I move the mouse to the upper left corner, I can see a little white point, I suppose it's the mouse cursor behind the black screen that is blocking everything.
Mazter
Mazter
Drifter

Postby torhu » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:03 pm

In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Return to Help Forum

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel