With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Old WQ3 forum - archived. Links may not work.

hello new here have a few questions

Postby rev_blueduck » Sat May 06, 2006 3:50 am

hello all greedings from the other old west game wild west rtcw
i have been playin ww with red a bit and thought id give u guys game a try
what do i need to play it and where do i find all the files
any help would be great
:D :D
quack
quack
rev_blueduck
Pistolero

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sat May 06, 2006 7:31 am

Howdy! (Of course you'll need Q3 Arena and the pointrelease 1.32 patch for it.) Go back to the main page and look at the latest news post. Links to WQ3 downloads are there. You'll also see a link to the "Manual" under the "About" button on the main page. You might want to check that out to explain a few things before you play. Let us know if you have any trouble. :)
Last edited by ReD NeCKersoN on Fri May 19, 2006 1:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby torhu » Sat May 06, 2006 1:29 pm

And to answer the most FAQ of them all, before you ask: To reload when using akimbos, hold the reload key (default R), and press the right or left mouse button. That should cover it. :mrgreen:
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby rev_blueduck » Tue May 09, 2006 3:38 pm

i know to play ww rtcw u need the rtcw cd key
is that the same for urs
if so where would i find q3 its older then dirt and hard to find still for sale
is there any files i can download from the internet so i can play
i know with ww rtcw u can get away with not having ur own cd key but u can only play on a couple of server s that have the cd key turned off
can this be done with this 1
i had q3 a long time ago borrowed it top a buddy that had a slower machine windows 98 and dont think i ever got the game back hate to have to go bye a new 1
well hope to be able to play ur game soon
quack
quack
rev_blueduck
Pistolero

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Tue May 09, 2006 5:01 pm

Most (if not all) of the wq3 servers do not check for a valid cd key. So, if you can beg, borrow or steal a copy of Q3 you won't need a good cd key to play. The alternative would be to get a standalone Q3 like sourceforge or openarena or icculus and just install wq3 with one of those. You'll be missing a few textures and whatnot, but you should be able to play until our official WQ3 standalone is released later this year. Let us know if you have any further questions. :)

(Someone correct me if I'm wrong about the above please.)
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby sig11 » Tue May 09, 2006 8:56 pm

hmm, you should know your way around in getting Q3 based game and mods running to use the projects Red linked to. Also, single Player is easier to get going than joining a public server. The biggest problem really are the missing textures.

The wq3 standalone, of course, will have non of these restrictions :D
In-game name: =SG= Django (yes, it's cliché :-) )
sig11
SG Team

Postby rev_blueduck » Thu May 11, 2006 4:50 pm

i just wanted to say ty to every 1 that helped me out
i can get in and play a bit
not having the game and useing standalone thing ant much fun i cant chat or see what any 1 says and the bullets suck i see a big square everytime i or someone shoots
id say them are both big drawbacks to playin but i played it was pretty cool
alot different then the old west game i play as for the way u walk and move
few quick questions
how do u load the first gun when u have 2
or the shot guns i killed a gun took his ammo and gun shot gun once and couldnt reload it
i like the game its cool now i just need to figure a way to get the game or if any body has any more ideas now that i can play how to fix or change the textures to help atleast alittle more my system info is
pentuim 4 3.4 processer
256mb nivida 5700
1 gig ram
cable internet 4500 down 241 up
my email is rev_blueduck@yahoo.com for ideas and what nots
hope to plug somemore of u guys tonight
quack
quack
rev_blueduck
Pistolero

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Thu May 11, 2006 5:25 pm

Questions concerning reloading, buying items/ammo, etc are answered in the Manual.
As for missing textures, I'll have to do some checking and get back to you to see if there's something you can do. I agree, it's rough to play when you can't see chat & you get black boxes popping up in front of your face. :(

I wish we could release our standalone already, but it just isn't possible until all copyrighted materials are replaced & proper credits are in place. Unfortunately this takes time, especially for a small team.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby rev_blueduck » Thu May 11, 2006 6:15 pm

no problem buddy
quack
quack
rev_blueduck
Pistolero

Postby English Rose » Thu May 18, 2006 8:45 pm

Hey Duck :D
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein
English Rose
Drifter

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Thu May 18, 2006 10:32 pm

I haven't forgotten about this. :wink: I'll be sending you some ideas very soon.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Caffeine » Fri May 19, 2006 3:33 am

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:Most (if not all) of the wq3 servers do not check for a valid cd key. So, if you can beg, borrow or steal a copy of Q3 you won't need a good cd key to play.

Er, I really don't recommend that. Even with strictauth turned off, pirates using invalid keys are still advertising that fact to Id whenever they connect to an unmodified Q3 server. From the 1.32b source code:

quake3-1.32b/code/client/cl_main.c: CL_RequestAuthorization()
/*
===================
CL_RequestAuthorization

Authorization server protocol
[snip]
Whenever the client tries to get a challenge from the server it wants to
connect to, it also blindly fires off a packet to the authorize server:
[snip]
[Regardless of the value of sv_strictauth,] The server sends a:

getIpAuthorize <challenge> <ip>

The authorize server returns a:

ipAuthorize <challenge> <accept | deny | demo | unknown >

[If the server has sv_strictauth enabled,] A client will be accepted if a valid cdkey was sent by that ip (only) in the last 15 minutes.

[See quake3-1.32b/code/server/sv_client.c: SV_GetChallenge() for more details on the server authorization code.]

The alternative would be to get a standalone Q3 like sourceforge or openarena or icculus and just install wq3 with one of those.

Two things:
  • It's "Standalone Q3" or saQ3, not "sourceforge." :p I don't think people can use saQ3 clients to play on idQ3-compatible servers; saQ3 most likely lacks the client-side CD auth code, and the server will be expecting an auth response from Id's auth server.
  • icculus.org/quake3/ (or ioQ3 for short) is not standalone, and behaves exactly like idQ3 as far as cd-key authorization goes. The project maintainer refuses to remove the auth code.

(Someone correct me if I'm wrong about the above please.)

Don't recommend piracy. Q3 Gold (BaseQ3 and Team Arena) should be available for $10 at Wal-Marts across the U.S. At least, it was a few weeks ago when I purchased it for the TA content and key.

Q3 pirates who play on unmodified Q3 servers with unmodified Q3 clients are only giving Id more reason to make things more difficult for legitimate customers (see the quote from Id's Tim Willits).
Caffeine
Pistolero

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Fri May 19, 2006 5:13 am

Personally, I own a valid version of Q3 & TA. Whenever we finish & release the WQ3 standalone, people won't need the former if all they want to do is try this mod. But I understand where you're coming from. Naturally, I'd prefer prospective players do the right thing in the meantime. Btw, I haven't seen Q3 in my local Walmart for several years & the last time I googled the internet for it, for curiosity's sake, I came up empty other than ebay. And you never know how many trips around the world the cd key has taken with those. (Well, I did find one place that was selling it for $45 US. Like people are going to pay that for a 7 yr old game.) If you can drum up some links to new Q3 cd's, I'm sure it would be appreciated by those who need it.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Caffeine » Fri May 19, 2006 6:00 am

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:Whenever we finish & release the WQ3 standalone, people won't need the former if all they want to do is try this mod.

Aye, that's what I expected, and that's the case with Tremulous standalone as well.

But I understand where you're coming from. Naturally, I'd prefer prospective players do the right thing in the meantime. Btw, I haven't seen Q3 in my local Walmart for several years & the last time I googled the internet for it, for curiosity's sake, I came up empty other than ebay. ... If you can drum up some links to new Q3 cd's, I'm sure it would be appreciated by those who need it.

Well, it's definitely showing up in various Wal-Marts, and was about a year ago too:
http://www.quake3world.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19787 (May 2006)
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=75242 (June 2005)

I don't particularly like China-Mart, but there you go. ;)

Also found these: $10 @ Target and Google's Froogle.

BTW, I have no affiliation with Id whatsoever. Just too much time on my hands. >_>
Caffeine
Pistolero

Postby torhu » Fri May 19, 2006 11:27 am

It's still available in Scandinavia and the UK, too. Even if most of the shops don't seem to have it in stock. The game is just too great for anyone not to buy it. Especially now that Q4 might be going the way of the dodo. Check out some InstaUnlagged CTF, or q3dm17 or something, it used to really put me on the edge of my seat. Maybe the only computer game that can give you an adrenaline rush. Just stay away from the bastards that have been playing it since 1999, they're no fun. Still 2000 servers around. ;)

http://spillpriser.no/nn/ItemDetails.as ... 6&IID=5540
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Next

Return to Help Forum

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel