With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Old WQ3 forum - archived. Links may not work.

Crazy lag after Quake 3 reinstall :(

Postby Dadamungo » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:41 am

Hi All,

I re-intstalled Quake 3 and now I have this crazy lag playing WesternQuake :x
Quake 3 plays just fine, so does Quake 4 and other games but WQ3 will (at worst) lag every few seconds. When it does the sound will actually repeat like the needle is stuck (errr, theres my age). Then after a few seconds it comes back to life, but repeats again and again. It sort of seems like when I had a really slow computer and would try to play an advanced graphics type of game, but my computer is new, and I play Quake4 on the highest settings with outstanding results. I have tried to play with different compatibility modes and none matter (same result). Also tried adjusting the graphics settings, not that it should matter, but of course that didn't work either.
I also reinstalled WQ3, I even made sure that I deleted all the files and STILL its freaking out. Man, if anyone has any thoughts, let me know. I'm a die hard WQ3 fan and don't want to quit on it but I'm about out of ideas on why it's not working right when everything else is.
Also, I ran it in window mode so I could spy my memory and cpu and it doesn't go above 50% for the cpu and much less for memory :? so I can't see what is making the lag/stutter/freeze junk

Rob
Dadamungo
Shootist

Postby hika » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:12 am

I'm no expert in doing some diag, but I think it could help if you can provide us a dxdiag's results.
Assuming you are running a Windows machine, please :
- Run C:\Program Files\DirectX\Setup\dxdiag.exe
- Click on the "Save All Information" button.
- Select where you want to save the Dxdiag.txt file in your hard drive.

Maybe, anybody will have more clues, then.
SG name: Manchot
SG fansite: http://western.bsdmon.com
userbar originally created by Caffeine
hika
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:02 pm

PunkBuster will make WQ3 momentarily "hang" for me when it's enabled. Happens whenever PB does an automatic update. Since you just did a fresh reinstall, my guess is you have it enabled. Disable it for Q3 & WQ3 and see if your trouble goes away. Hope this helps.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby L3th4l » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:02 pm

The fact that Quake 4, quake 3 and other games run fine points to it being a problem just with westernquake. Meaning, dxdiag wll have no answers.

Try what Red said.. Make sure you have the latest Quake 3 Point relaease installed. Try turning off the music and see if that helps. Look at the console output when ingame and see if it says anything or post the output of the console here.. Totally uninstall and reinstall quake 3 and WQ3..
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Dadamungo » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:51 am

Well, I played today and it was not quite as bad as the last time, but still had some of the same issues. I have punkbuster off. I'll try the other suggestions. Thanks.
Dadamungo
Shootist

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:22 am

Dadamungo wrote:I have punkbuster off.

Not to sound like a broken record, but make darn sure it's off in regular Q3 too.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Clintstone » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:42 am

Hi everyone!

Any news upon this subject? We're having an interesting problem here for a recent period of time concerning lags - no idea what could be wrong.

Symptoms are the same as described above: Sound (like the bang of a shot, the reload sound, whatever) keeps repeating several seconds (3-4), in which time you don't have the possibility to move - enough to make you wake up dead. It seems to have started after changing the hardware, maybe someone else has this problem, too.

I'm using an Intel Core 2 2,13GHz with 1GB of RAM. Video is a Radeon X1650, driver is Version 8.301.0.0 of september '06. Friend of mine has the same problem with exactly the same hardware. Network problem can be excluded as reason, first of all because a ping to the other clients / to the server is perfect - we're playing with LAN, second because with the old hardware (P4 2.6 GHz with Matrox Millennium G550 (!)) - and reasonable low graphic detail - everything worked very smooth. Actually, even turning detail down to lowest doesn't help. Others on the same maps and weaker hardware do not have the problems.

Other ideas were increasing the amount of Megs for sound to something like 32 or 64, increasing the Hunk-Megs etc.pp. Switching off Punkbuster has no effect.

Q3 runs smooth - definitly no problems at all.

Maybe someone has an idea? TIA,

Clintstone
Clintstone
Quick Draw

Postby Breli » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:42 pm

The symptoms sound similar to what was reported here.

Which version (2.1 or 2.2) of WQ do you use?

Clintstone wrote: .... we're playing with LAN, second because with the old hardware (P4 2.6 GHz with Matrox Millennium G550 (!)) - and reasonable low graphic detail - everything worked very smooth.

P4? Matrox Cards? That sounds very familar to me :D ... maybe thats just coincidence. Anyway, welcome to the forum ;) In case you know what I am talking about Good to know that the legacy lives on ... :twisted:
SG name: =SG= BRELI

Harmonica: Did you bring a horse?
Gunmen: Looks like we are short on one horse!
Harmonica: No. You brought two too many.
Breli
SG Team

Postby Clintstone » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:37 pm

Hi Breli,

for sure, TeaTime is alive :D

But, to be honest, it kinda sucks having these lags. As I read the other thread, it occured to me that there might be a connection between the change to 2.2 and the lags. But again - all of us updated... The players with the old machines (eg. [Don Juan] :wink: ) don't have any problems. COULD it be that it has something to do with the Dual Core??? Anyway. Maybe I should connect one of the old ones and try it again with that one. If you get any updates on this matter, I'd really be happy to hear about it. Otherwise - bad luck.

So far from here, if I should experience anything more, I'll tell ya.

Clintstone
Clintstone
Quick Draw

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:19 am

Clintstone wrote:COULD it be that it has something to do with the Dual Core???

That's the first question I asked myself when I read your post. But I don't think anyone in the other thread is running dual core procs. The only thing they seem to have in common is a wireless network. Could be the lag you're experiencing is a different situation & unrelated. Hard to say. Please let us know if you discover anything else. :)
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby hika » Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:43 am

Clintstone wrote:Network problem can be excluded as reason, first of all because a ping to the other clients / to the server is perfect - we're playing with LAN

What about playing in a Single Player game or a created Multi Player game ?
If you still have a problem, it will definitely not be a network problem (unless you shape your loopback interface bandwidth, which I doubt ;)).
What about your FPS when you play ?
I hope these questions will help you point to the real problem, and maybe solve it.
SG name: Manchot
SG fansite: http://western.bsdmon.com
userbar originally created by Caffeine
hika
SG Team

Postby L3th4l » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:20 am

I'm running a dual core and I have a wireless network.. Runs smooth as butter for me...
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Breli » Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:47 am

Clintstone wrote:for sure, TeaTime is alive :D

Good News, good news :D I'll be back every now and then. Make sure Susanne's machine always runs the latest version so that ol' Breli can you show you noobs how to handle that peacemaker :lol: ... and btw, there are servers out there you know ;) ... would be cool to see the diggers show up there as well!

Concerning this bug: Don't worry. Our masters Torhu, Hika and Sig11 will weave their magic sooner than later and hunt down this nasty little bug.

For Red & Hika: Clintstone and the other boys are playing in a LAN so their problem is not related to the wireless stuff. Additionally, what hika said is true: WQ shouldn't be affected by the network infrastructure. I just figured that wireless connections might have propoerties (higher packet loss, different package sizes) that the new unlagged code tries to compensate somehow.

However, this is really a nasty thing :( ... hopefully we can fix that quickly.
SG name: =SG= BRELI

Harmonica: Did you bring a horse?
Gunmen: Looks like we are short on one horse!
Harmonica: No. You brought two too many.
Breli
SG Team

Postby Clintstone » Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:55 pm

Breli wrote:Good News, good news :D I'll be back every now and then. Make sure Susanne's machine always runs the latest version so that ol' Breli can you show you noobs how to handle that peacemaker :lol:
Whenever you want, sir, whenever you want. Just ask the legacies about us noobs... No question you're going to feel sorry to stand against us... But everyone has to learn his lesson :wink: Whenever you draw your Peacemaker... Be sure it's loaded. I hate collecting empty weapons. :twisted:
Breli wrote:I just figured that wireless connections might have propoerties (higher packet loss, different package sizes) that the new unlagged code tries to compensate somehow.
Independent from wireless - we actually do have the feeling that unlagging might have something to do with it... Again, I'll keep an eye on it and try to switch it of, as mentioned on the other post (http://www.westernquake3.net/viewtopic.php?t=972)

But thanks all for your support - and you're doing a great job! :D
Clintstone
Quick Draw

lag

Postby ChainLightnin' » Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:27 am

I figured it out! It usually freezes whenever I "get to face one of these big pistol fighters they raise all the fuss about!" Then I get shot. Now, if it worked the other way....Seriously, bots or live players, tried a bunch of the suggestions, no change. But.. only on line. Single player offline doesn't do it. I'm ordering a remote antenna for my linksys card to get a better line from the router. I tried Wildwest for a bit. Once or twice I saw a "disconnect" notice or similar flash in the background, but the players didn't stop. Shouldn't be breaking connection, I don't think? Oh, and sometimes I shoot the Yellow Boy (Winchester) once, and it fires off the whole clip! Might make me look gunhappy in a game! For what its's worth,
Chain
Well...Mr. Chain Blue Lightnin' hisself..heh, heh!
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Next

Return to Help Forum

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel