With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Old WQ3 forum - archived. Links may not work.

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Fri May 25, 2007 9:42 pm

After a fresh (separate) install for mapping purposes, I got this frequent lag crap too. Not playing online either... just messing around on a test map with no bots. Watching the fps counter showed a horrible, momentary drop to 10 fps. After trying different settings I finally replaced my q3config.cfg with the one I saved before the reinstall. No more lagouts. I immediately noticed that I had the music turned all the way down, which is not the case with the freshly installed cfg. So I played around a bit by turning the music on & running around, then doing the same with it off. I believe the wq3 music is what's causing the annoying lagouts for you guys & not some mysterious wireless thing. With music off it seems to go away & run normally. Can one of you try testing my theory for verification please? (BTW, I notice Lethal suggested turning of music near the start of this thread. Maybe he was on to something!)
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby hika » Fri May 25, 2007 10:52 pm

Strange if the wq3 music could affect FPS and lag ... 'cause I always play with music on, even on my old machine.
No FPS drop from what I noticed ...
SG name: Manchot
SG fansite: http://western.bsdmon.com
userbar originally created by Caffeine
hika
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sat May 26, 2007 5:23 am

I never noticed it either till this fresh install. I tested my theory again tonight. 10 minutes in a test map with no music = no lag. I turned the music on & noticed nothing during the first song. When it was about to change to the next tune, the lag appeared & randomly reappeared. Seems most frequent just before & after the music changes. Turning music volume to zero cleared it up again. I have an Nforce2 motherboard with onboard sound if that makes any difference. :?:
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby hika » Sun May 27, 2007 11:26 am

Ah, I certainly missed something :
How did you turn off the music ? I was thinking it was simply turning the music volume to 0.
Is there a dedicated cvar for it ?
SG name: Manchot
SG fansite: http://western.bsdmon.com
userbar originally created by Caffeine
hika
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sun May 27, 2007 4:42 pm

All I did was turn the volume to zero.

Strange though. I tried the same test with my older, gaming installation. With music on or off I get no lag. :?:
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby DeUgli » Mon May 28, 2007 2:26 am

I wrote about the sound problem on Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:12 am Post subject: Re: Beta 2.2 Release Candidate 2 Changelog. At that time I thought it was my machine config, but now I see that it isn't that.

I have the SA installed on the C: drive, and also the older 2.2 in my Q3 directory. The SA has the sound lag problem, but the version in Q3 doesn't, even though (I think) that was the version I wrote about in November. My idea is that because I now start the older version by selecting the Mods menu in vanilla Q3 startup, having deleted the desktop shortcut to that version, that keeps the music from loading twice. Is it possible the SA is loading the music two times?
DeUgli
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Dadamungo » Mon May 28, 2007 3:54 pm

If anybody is curious, I originally fixed my problem by copying the entire WQ3 directory from the other computer on my network to my computer. I'm not sure if the music on that computer was on or off though, although now I play with the music off. So I would think mine was not a hardware problem but something in the software.

If the music is the problem would making either a music-less version or an option to turn the music 'off' be that difficult? I don't know if turning the volume to 0 (silent) would be the same as not having it there to start with? In the code it has to be a loop running and running, correct? I'm sure there are much more knowledgeable people about this with an actually knowledge of the games code but thought I'd raise the concern.
Dadamungo
Shootist

Previous

Return to Help Forum

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel