With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Old WQ3 forum - archived. Links may not work.

Invalid pk3 files

Postby =Chico= » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:24 am

Help Chico!!- I recently reinstalled Windows and have also had to reinstall Q3 and WQ3. I can now create my own server but when I try to join a server online I get the Invalid pk3 files error. I completely removed WQ3 and reinstalled the full 2.2 Windows self install but no luck... i get the same error. I am thinking of maybe reinstalling Quake3 all over again tonight to see if that helps. I have not added any custom maps or files to Q3 or WQ3 since I reinstalled.

Red recommended trying to install a pre-stand alone but I don't think I should have to do that..

:evil:
=Chico=
Smokin' Amigo!

Re: Invalid pk3 files

Postby hika » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:21 am

Since most of the servers have fan maps in their westernq3 folder, maybe you should install them too.
It the problem persists, can you provide us the complete error message ?
Thanks.
SG name: Manchot
SG fansite: http://western.bsdmon.com
userbar originally created by Caffeine
hika
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:36 pm

you didnt say what PR of Q3 you are using. You said that you recently reinstalled, just checking to make sure you are using 1.32.

I saw you were trying to connect to RAWHIDE, but can you connect to other servers as well?

Lastly make sure you are getting wq3 files from here and not the 2.2 Beata testing forum.

(They may be simple/stupid questions, but they are ones that I have personly had wrong)
Pardner
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:36 pm

Chico. post a screenshot of what's in your westernq3 folder so we can take a look.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby hika » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:21 pm

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:Chico. post a screenshot of what's in your westernq3 folder so we can take a look.

... and checksum files, as well, if you can. Either crc32, md5 or sha1 ;)
hika
SG Team

Postby =Chico= » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:16 am

Here's what I have. I tunistalled WQ3 again last night and did a fresh download of all the stuff and reinstalled it. Now I get a white screen that hangs my computer up when i try to run it. I'm thinking I'm going to have to reinstall everything tommorrow. Odd thing is, I can still play Quake3 and even join servers online.

=Chico=
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Dadamungo » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:16 pm

I was having that same problem a while back. I ended up copying everything for WQ3 from the other computer on my network, not the best solution since I did not learn what was causing it, but it fixed it. Since they I have not had any trouble.

=Chico= wrote:Here's what I have. I tunistalled WQ3 again last night and did a fresh download of all the stuff and reinstalled it. Now I get a white screen that hangs my computer up when i try to run it. I'm thinking I'm going to have to reinstall everything tommorrow. Odd thing is, I can still play Quake3 and even join servers online.

Dadamungo
Shootist

Postby =Chico= » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:41 pm

spuds like good advice but I can't copy from another computer as I only have one. Will keep trying..
=Chico=
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:51 pm

From your screenshot, the first thing I notice is that you are missing the following (highlighted) files.

If you are using the exe install, then something may have become corrupted? If you're using the zip install then you must be doing something wrong. Might not be a bad idea to just redownload the full mod from HERE. Good luck & let us know what happens. :)
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby =Chico= » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:40 pm

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice. I have it working again. I think what happened is that the self installer package I was downloading was getting cut short or corrupted somehow but I was still able to run it so it appeared like I had the full download.

How I fixed this..

I just downloaded the zip package and used the western q3 folder from that and it had all of the pk3 files it was supposed to have. Sooo.. I was definitely missing some pk3 files.
=Chico=
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby torhu » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:20 pm

Hey, Chico! Based on which files you were missing, it think you've simply installed wq3_b22_update.exe instead of wq3_b22_full.exe. ;)

But I'm glad you got it sorted. :D
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Gentleman » Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:52 pm

Hello, cowboys. I have similar problem right now. I've had Windows reinstalled recently and today I was trying to install wq3. I'm pretty sure I made everything right: I installed q3, then the pointrelease132 and then wq3 b2.2 full (with self-install) I downloaded from one of the mirrors. When I tried to join it said I didn't have some maps (to be precise wq_town and wq_nightfort) so I had to download them too. Ok, that's routine. But now it asked for... wq3_pak3.pk3 which exists in my wq3 directory as you can see on the screenshot. It seems that fan maps aren't an issue here. There's more: my brother and one of my friends had experienced the same problem after installing wq3 from wq3_b22_full.exe. For my brother it helped to install b2.2 update (on already installed b2.2 full - weird idea but it worked). Still he sometimes (well, hardly ever) gets invalid pk3 files error when connecting to servers.
Something IS wrong. Sorry to worry you guys.

PS. I do not have version 2.1 but when installing 2.2 full I don't need 2.1 any more, am I right?
Last edited by Gentleman on Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roger me!
Gentleman
Drifter

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:18 pm

No, you do not need version 2.1 of wq3. What servers are you guys trying to connect to? Sometimes, we run 2 test servers that have pk3 files that you will not have. (The public is not meant to play there anyway.) Try connecting to RAWHIDE II since I know that server is completely stock. If that gives you trouble then you definately have a problem, though your screenshot looks normal to me.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Gentleman » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:35 pm

Unfortunately, it happens on every server I'm trying to connect to, even on Rawhide II. I'm downloading zip update right now, hoping that replacing some files will help. I'll be in touch ;)

edit:
OK. Replacing wq_pak3.pk3 worked just fine. Maybe this file is somehow corrupt in the executable version of b22 full? You know, it's like at least the third time it happened. Please check.
Roger me!
Gentleman
Drifter

Postby hika » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:08 am

Gentleman wrote:wq3_pak3.pk3 which exists in my wq3 directory as you can see on the screenshot. It seems that fan maps aren't an issue here.

Hello cowboy !
I don't know where you get the fan_maps.zip file, but from your screenshot, I can say that your map list is wrong.
Where did you get "wq_nonamecity.pk3" ? It should not be here.
Instead, you should have a nonamecity.pk3, which is not in your list, too. It comes from the fan maps pack.

And if you have had to replace a "wq_pak3.pk3", can you tell us from what installer/zip you get a wrong one, and from what installer/zip you get the good one.
Then, I will check if you are right about a corrupted file or the likes ...

Thanks.
hika
SG Team

Next

Return to Help Forum

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel