With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Pre SG 1.0 archive

Map not listed (nonamecity.pk3)

Postby Chainsaw » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:34 am

I've got the pk3 file in WesternQuake3/westernquake3, but it does not appear in my single-player list. When I try to join an online game I get the error that the map can't be found and I need to download it (Rawhide doesn't have auto download on).

Any ideas what might be going on? I've deleted, re-downloaded, re-extracted it and the problem didn't go away. For the record, I'm using the fanmaps zip file for my source.

Appreciate the help.
Chainsaw
Quick Draw

Postby Nyarlathotep » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:05 am

Have you closed WesternQuake since you redownloaded it? (dumb question, but hey - simple first)
Nyarlathotep
Drifter

Postby Pardner » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:14 am

there has been 2 beta releases of the map...so just to be sure, download the "fan-map pack" from here http://bootblock.de/wq3/download.html
it might be that you are getting an old version of the map. sorry about the confusion

Pardner
SG Team

Postby Chainsaw » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:02 am

It just keeps getting weirder. Now when I try to connect to *any* game I get one of two errors: Can't find nonamecity or can't find train. It was working fine last night. Train is in my list and I can single-player play it. nonamecity is not.

The only update I've made to my system since then was to install expat 2.0 so I could get xchat working. I highly doubt that could have affected the system. I didn't remove the old libexpat (they install side-by-side no problem)

I basically started with a new install and I'm still having the problem.

I have done the following:
1) created a new directory call WQ3
2) I unzipped, or copied the following into that directory in the order listed. All the pk3s ended up where they were supposed to (i.e. WQ3/Westernquake3/westernquake3).

wq3_b22_sa_engine03_game01.zip
wq3_pakZ_current.pk3
wq3_maps02_r.zip
wq3_maps03_r.zip
wq3brelimaps001.pk3
fan_maps.zip
wq3_sa_engine04.zip

I then attempted to play and was able to access every map but nonamecity which doesn't appear.

I then attempted to connect to multiple servers and got the errors I listed above. I'm stymied. I just didn't do anything I can think of that would have caused this in a brand new installation. *sigh* I guess I won't be playing tonight. : {

What's worse is that I can see you guys out at the lake shooting away at each other.
Chainsaw
Quick Draw

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:18 am

You've done what I would have suggested. I have no clue why Train would give you trouble. But did you redownload the fan_maps.zip? Or are you still using the one you had previously?
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Chainsaw » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:40 am

I re-downloaded every single file except the big SA full package. All the rest were downloaded after Pardner's post. Just so strange.

Heck, I even rebooted my linux box. How desparate is that? Well, I was putting in 2GB more RAM too. ; )
Chainsaw
Quick Draw

Postby hika » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:51 pm

Chainsaw wrote:All the pk3s ended up where they were supposed to (i.e. WQ3/Westernquake3/westernquake3)

Did you mispell the path or something ?
You should have WQ3/Westernquake3/westernq3 and have the binary file engine (wquake or wquake-smp) lying in WQ3/Westernquake3.
I guess this is why no third party maps could be found ...
SG name: Manchot
SG fansite: http://western.bsdmon.com
userbar originally created by Caffeine
hika
SG Team

Postby Chainsaw » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:29 am

Did you mispell the path or something ?
You should have WQ3/Westernquake3/westernq3 and have the binary file engine (wquake or wquake-smp) lying in WQ3/Westernquake3.
I guess this is why no third party maps could be found ...

Sorry, I mistyped the path in my post, not in my installation. It is westernq3 where the maps ended up. My binary file engine is wquake3 in Westernquake3 directory.

I don't have a wquake3-smp, but would like to know where to get one.

I can see and play third-party maps except NoName City. That doesn't appear at all. I do get the error about not finding train, but only when I log on to certain servers. Locally it plays just fine.
Chainsaw
Quick Draw

Postby hika » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:21 pm

Can you show us you westernq3 folder content ?
From what I understand, you seem to play on *NIX system, so you can "ls -l WQ3/Westernquake3/westernq3".
You can also provide us your standard output.
This will certainly help us helping you :D
SG name: Manchot
SG fansite: http://western.bsdmon.com
userbar originally created by Caffeine
hika
SG Team

Success!!!

Postby Chainsaw » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:53 am

OK, I got it working. I don't know exactly what happened, but something certainly did. It's OK now though. Thanks to all who helped. For those curious (there are still mysteries to me) I include what I did to resolve it and what I don't get. Sorry if this is a long post, but I needed to stretch myself a bit, so I pursued this a little longer than necessary.

Hika wrote: You can also provide us your standard output.

As Hika suggested, I ran the game with ./wquake3 > output.log 2>&1
Before uploading it I decided to check it out and I noticed that the "current search path" for pk3 files was /usr/local/games/Westernquake3/. Here's a snippet of the output.

Current search path:
/home/eric/.wq3/westernq3
/usr/local/games/Westernquake3/westernq3/wq_town.pk3 (8 files)
[lines cut for brevity]
/usr/local/games/Westernquake3/westernq3
/home/eric/.q3a/westernq3
/home/eric/.wq3/baseq3
/usr/local/games/Westernquake3/baseq3/pak0.pk3 (102 files)
/usr/local/games/Westernquake3/baseq3

The problem is that I hadn't (to my recollection) installed it there, but there was an installation there. Maybe I installed it there before installing it totally locally (i.e. in /home/eric/Games/). I certainly was not running it from there. I was running it from /home/eric/Games/Quake/WQ3/Westernquake3/. I would cd into this directory and play the game with ./wquake3. I've been doing this since I joined the SA Testers group and had always had success. And no there were no links symbolic or hard between the directories. I also couldn't find the string /usr/local/games/ in my ~/.wq3/westernq3/* files. So I didn't know why it was doing this.

So, I decided to check out the /usr/local/games/Westernquake3/westernq3 and sure enough it didn't have nonamecity.pk3. I copied it over and voila! it worked.

I even played Pardner and Emiru in NoNameCity tonight (did OK, but dang! Emiru and his knives! He gives Dadamungo a serious challenge for knife fighting (Rules? In a Knife Fight? No rules.))

Could this be related to my upgrading to the wq3_sa_engine04? I think this is the first time that the game supported playing from an executable that was not in the directory with the rest of the app files. Is it possible that it *just* looked in that directory and ignored the current working directory?

I checked it out by opening wquake3 in a hex editor and found some strings that sure look like search paths. After running `strings | grep Westernquake3` I got the following strings (all next to each other according to the hexeditor)

/usr/local/Westernquake3
/opt/Westernquake3
/opt/games/Westernquake3
/usr/games/Westernquake3
/usr/local/games/Westernquake3

I opened wquake3 from the older wq3_b22_sa_engine03_game01.zip file (in a hex editor) and it did not have any such directories listed. So I can only assume that the engine04 file introduced this behavior, and it was my bad luck that I had some old, forgotten installation in the search path.

Maybe you could add something to search the current working directory first, before going on to the other search paths. I can foresee testers who want their more stable games to be left alone and to install the test (newest) version in some other directory.

Anyway, I guess you can consider this closed. I'll probably play around as I try to clean up my directory structure, but no worries!

Sorry that this is so long. Not being used to bug-testing/troubleshooting, I'm not sure what information is relevant and what is not, so I've erred on the side of verbosity.
Chainsaw
Quick Draw

Re: Success!!!

Postby sig11 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:37 pm

Chainsaw wrote:Could this be related to my upgrading to the wq3_sa_engine04?

Yes!
I think this is the first time that the game supported playing from an executable that was not in the directory with the rest of the app files. Is it possible that it *just* looked in that directory and ignored the current working directory?

Yes. I "taught" the engine some basic smarts. And as you found out, it does look through certain places. On the plus side, you can create a symbolic link into your $PATH. Or you can start the game with /full/path/to/wquake. Both of this did not work with Id's Q3A. And just for completeness: you can explicetly tell the game the location either with "+set fs_basepath /full/path" or by setting the enviroment variable WQ3_BASEPATH. This will be documented and is partly documented in the README.

Maybe you could add something to search the current working directory first, before going on to the other search paths. I can foresee testers who want their more stable games to be left alone and to install the test (newest) version in some other directory.

I will give this some thought and see if it does not conflict with other scenarios.

And don't worry! This is what testers are there for :-) to find the problematic corner cases. Thanks!
In-game name: =SG= Django (yes, it's cliché :-) )
sig11
SG Team

Return to Stand-alone Testing

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel