With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Pre SG 1.0 archive

Water & bodies

Postby Fred187 » Wed May 23, 2007 5:23 pm

A couple of suggestions, one simple and one not so simple. Firstly, d'you think it'd be possibly in the round-based games to have dead bodies stay until the end of the round, rather than just for a short period of time?

Secondly, is there any way fully reflective water could be implemented in time for the standalone? Paintball2 (http://digitalpaint.planetquake.gamespy.com/news.php) managed it pretty effectively, however, it was done on the Q2 engine, so the Q3 engine may be more difficult.
Fred187
Drifter

Re: Water & bodies

Postby sig11 » Wed May 23, 2007 10:19 pm

Fred187 wrote:Firstly, d'you think it'd be possibly in the round-based games to have dead bodies stay until the end of the round, rather than just for a short period of time?

I think, this should be doable. IIRC there was a suggestion like this floating around before. Very generally speaking, the bodies disappear for performance/FPS reasons. But for round based games, it might be ok, since only one body per player will be added.

Fred187 wrote:Secondly, is there any way fully reflective water could be implemented in time for the standalone? Paintball2 (http://digitalpaint.planetquake.gamespy.com/news.php) managed it pretty effectively, however, it was done on the Q2 engine, so the Q3 engine may be more difficult.

From a technical point of view: if it's doable in Q2, it's very very likely doable in Q3. However, there is the manpower aspect.
It's essentially like with all voluntary/hobbyiest projects: it will be done if and when it is done ;-) ... Alternatively, as soon as it will be released and the engine will be open sourced: if you really want it, you can always code it yourself ;-) ...
In-game name: =SG= Django (yes, it's cliché :-) )
sig11
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Thu May 24, 2007 12:03 am

Reflective water would likely add a performance hit. Especially for older computers. :|
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby hika » Thu May 24, 2007 10:12 pm

About the "dead body stay", maybe the same could be done on weapons ?
By the way, I'm really thinking of implementing a round basis gametype for wq3, and keeping the dead body sounds good :D.

About reflective water, is it really useful for wq3 ?
I only see backwater to be the best candidate :wink:
SG name: Manchot
SG fansite: http://western.bsdmon.com
userbar originally created by Caffeine
hika
SG Team

Postby Fred187 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:38 pm

As far as performance goes, neither of these things should be a hassle; they could be done client-side, meaning they could be switched off, so people with older computers wouldn't suffer. Also, I think reflective water doesn't actually eat up too much CPU; I enabled it on Paintball2 on my old win98, and it ran perfectly.

As far as effort goes, why not just use the code from Paintball2 for reflective water for the time being (with permission and credit to jitspoe) and maybe write you're own code later. That's the joy of open-source.
Fred187
Drifter

Postby L3th4l » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:12 am

Backwater and Lake are the only 2 maps that have enough water for it to even matter.. As of now we have higher priority things to get done for the SA and some of us are on hiatus for the summer (I have a New York state tour with my band starting the middle of july). This is something for someone to do after the source is released...
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Return to Stand-alone Testing

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel