With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Pre SG 1.0 archive

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:21 am

Bah. Found a minor bug already. I think this was mentioned before in another thread. I just forgot about it & haven't noticed it since. :oops:

ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Chainsaw » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:08 am

Today, while playing on the new HeH on the test server I spawned without any weapons. My whole inventory was empty. I bought a pistol and it appeared in my hand. I bought knives, and they appeared too.

Truly weird. Then Red shot me...

I spawned outside the barn, near the lawyer's office.
Chainsaw
Quick Draw

Postby hika » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:58 am

By any chance, do you remember any particular circumstances of your death, before you spawned ?

In any case, it is a mod code bug, not a map bug.
I do have the same problem, during the test :
no weapon, and nothing appeared when trying to change weapon.
Picking up a shofield, for example, lets the menu change appeared again with only the shofield in the menu.
(So, I really do have no weapon, mod code speaking)

In my case, I was killed by Red, just before the next round started.
In b2.1, if you remember, you respawned in the next round with all your items, even though you were killed.
In b2.2 or after (the "bleeding edge" version), I remember I have changed something about resetting weapon equipment (mod code speaking) when killed.
(to SG members : http://www.westernquake3.net/viewtopic.php?t=967 : "Double drop bug")
So, it may be the reason why you respawned in the next round without any items.

Of course, you can count on me to try to fix it 8)
SG name: Manchot
SG fansite: http://western.bsdmon.com
userbar originally created by Caffeine
hika
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:50 am

I'm really wondering if having only one safe might be better (or worse) for such a small map. Say, in the hotel or saloon? Or am I thinking about this too much? Changing things around won't be a problem for me. Opinions please! :)
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Dadamungo » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:10 am

I like two safes. Having one means people just hunker down and blast you when you come for the one cause there's no mystery where you're going.
I also think you should make the roof top box open like a door.

I had the same bug with no weapons. Well I bought a pistol first without looking at my inventory so can't say for sure, but I had no knife or Remington pistol afterward. I spawned over by that rope you can climb.
Dadamungo
Shootist

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:14 am

Dadamungo wrote:I like two safes.

Just a note here, I can easily relocate either of the safes if we want to keep two of them. I want the very best gameplay we can come up with for this small level. :wink:
Dadamungo wrote:I also think you should make the roof top box open like a door.

If we keep a safe in that location, no problem. I could also do away with that door altogether as an option. EVERYTHING is open for discussion (barring major structural changes) right down to the spawnpoints.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby hika » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:20 pm

I would rather like two safes than one, to follow what Dadamungo said.
Removing the roof top box is a nice solution too, since any players could be easily detected.
It lets the robbers go away without any additional noises.

I was thinking of another place to one safe :
in the hotel, first room of the ground floor, on your right from the main entrance.
SG name: Manchot
SG fansite: http://western.bsdmon.com
userbar originally created by Caffeine
hika
SG Team

Postby Chainsaw » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:46 pm

I like two safes also, for the reasons others have listed.

Hika's got a good idea. From an historical standpoint, Hotels usually had safes for guests to store valuables. Still do. And that room (I think he means the room with the shotgun shells when playing in DM) would normally be the managers office, so that works.

It just makes storytelling sense. Not that the game needs to make storytelling sense to be fun, but the realistic touches are a hallmark of this game.
Chainsaw
Quick Draw

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:12 am

Kind of seems a waste for players to have no reason to use the upper levels of the hotel though. Maybe I could make a vault or something in this depression? Possibly a "fake looking" safe that appears to be furniture? Like the one in br_ElPaso? Or I could make it look like a teller's office (with barred window) for the private use of hotel guests? But maybe that wouldn't make sense up there. Something really makes me want to use the top floor of that hotel. :| Maybe it's the idea of fighting your way to the top that intrigues me. I dunno. Anyway, if we put a safe in the hotel we'll need to move the spawnpoints around to find a good balance. AND one of the other safes must go. My opinion would be to lose the one in the Lawyer's office. Concentrate the action to one corner of the map?

HMMM. Maybe we can have the safe where you guys suggest & still make use of the upper floors. I'll stop rambling now & think about this a bit more. :wink:
And that room (I think he means the room with the shotgun shells when playing in DM) would normally be the managers office

It is intended to be a managers room & MY room at the same time. Those paintings there are images from some hanging in my home. Stay out of there or I'll put you under! 8)
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

top floor

Postby ChainLightnin' » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:33 am

I just thought of something that often used to be at the top floor of the hotels that guys lined up to get to, but naw, that would be inappropriate. :roll: 8O :lol:
Well...Mr. Chain Blue Lightnin' hisself..heh, heh!
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Re: top floor

Postby DeUgli » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:43 pm

ChainLightnin' wrote:I just thought of something that often used to be at the top floor of the hotels that guys lined up to get to, but naw, that would be inappropriate.

You are, of course, talking about the bathroom, right? 8O
DeUgli
Smokin' Amigo!

top floor

Postby ChainLightnin' » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:43 pm

Well, OK, uh, I guess they'd want ya to get rid of the trail dust first, ya reckon?
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

top floor

Postby ChainLightnin' » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:25 pm

I guess I must like the idea of having to use the whole hotel, too. So wondering if the dynamite to open the safe could be on the top floor? Or a stash of cool weapons. Or a neat escape route! (Of course no parachutes, bat capes, etc.) Just some thoughts. :)
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby Breli » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:04 pm

Ok, here are my thoughts:

- I like the new look of the map 8)
- Two safes are better than one
- I sort of like the idea of having the second safe not too close to the other one which is out of question (in the bank). However, the safe in the lawyers office looks weird there (dunno why).
- Using the top floor as an escape route by blasting the wall that leads to the construction site might be a good idea (will hurt performance though)
- I actually liked the roof exit from the bank ..

Cheers

Breli
SG name: =SG= BRELI

Harmonica: Did you bring a horse?
Gunmen: Looks like we are short on one horse!
Harmonica: No. You brought two too many.
Breli
SG Team

Postby Breli » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:07 pm

Chainsaw wrote:On a side note, I *really* like wq_mine_r. Is there any chance that a finished version will be in the final SA release?

Hi Chainsaw,

I really like this revision, too. Partly because I made it :D, of course. As L3th4l said we are somewhat lost concerning this weird error ... we might give it a new try later on but for now we won't find time to do anything about it :?

Breli
SG name: =SG= BRELI

Harmonica: Did you bring a horse?
Gunmen: Looks like we are short on one horse!
Harmonica: No. You brought two too many.
Breli
SG Team

Previous

Return to Stand-alone Testing

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel