With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Pre SG 1.0 archive

Re: New Skins and Team modes

Postby Pardner » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:41 pm

I know that this was discussed in another thread, but I cannot find it. We were discussing that in team game modes players are unable to select skins/models other than the original eight. I think the last thread ended with "worry about it when the time comes".... well the recent news has got me worrying about it :wink:

I ideas are...
1) Disable the selecting of a model in team game-modes and just default to the player's red/blue model. This would be like VQ3.... if i am using
/model anarki/default
then when i join a CTF game it will automatically change to
/model anarki/red

2) Just keep the players model regardless of team. Personally I rely on the red "X" to determine teammates.

I would like to re-open this discussion. I know that new skins/models are not a definite, but would it be possible to fix and include it in the SA?

Pardner
SG Team

Postby EvilFutsin » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:28 pm

The one issues is that in Friendly Fire enabled servers, I believe there's no X. ;)
"I Gotta Believe!"
EvilFutsin
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:51 pm

Something like Dark brown vs Light brown? Or blue vs gray? Or black vs....you get the idea. Wouldn't really even need a red X anymore then, except for confused beginners. I guess a simple photoshop trick could give us team colors, along with a little coding?
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby EvilFutsin » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:47 am

Here's another thing. For Reaction Quake 3, along with pretty much all Action Quake 2-inspired/based mods, they allow the server to choose what each team looks like. For AQ2/RQ3 it's just one model (like reactionmale vs. grunt). In AHL the teams can have seperate models like what Western Q3 has now (like jeffchow/tequila/dukenukem vs. mamimi/azn_raver/hottgrrl).

So the point is that, the server could choose, maybe, what color? Which would then allow the skins to have like, white, black, brown, gray, blue, orange, green varieties. Even multiple ethnic varieties! Like African Slaves vs. Native Americans - or Irish Sheriffs vs. Chinese Railroad Workers.

Juuuuuuust a thought. ;)
"I Gotta Believe!"
EvilFutsin
SG Team

teams

Postby ChainLightnin' » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:04 pm

Futsin said:
Even multiple ethnic varieties! Like African Slaves vs. Native Americans - or Irish Sheriffs vs. Chinese Railroad Workers.

I think that would be very cool. :D

(There is iron in your new avatar, Pardner!)
Well...Mr. Chain Blue Lightnin' hisself..heh, heh!
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby Pardner » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:36 pm

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:Something like Dark brown vs Light brown? Or blue vs gray? Or black vs....you get the idea. Wouldn't really even need a red X anymore then, except for confused beginners. I guess a simple photoshop trick could give us team colors, along with a little coding?

I wasnt really thinking about changing the skins. If we get new skins or models, players will be unable to select them in team gamemodes.
I don't know how difficult it would be for a coder to disable the "choose model" menue when joining a team game. this way it would choose the red/blue version of the player's current model. red/blue refers to the actual name of the model and not the particular color... for instance: male_1/blue is the clint skin.

ChainLightnin' wrote:(There is iron in your new avatar, Pardner!)

I set out to make a new sig pic, but ended up with a new avatar. funny how that works :|
Pardner
SG Team

Postby Chainsaw » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:21 am

Personally, I think the *real* colors ought to be blue vs. gray. There's a bit of history in those colors fighting it out ugly, messy, deadly.
Chainsaw
Quick Draw

Postby L3th4l » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:00 am

The simple solution is to have it so you see an icon over YOUR teammates heads. The other team would only see them over their teammates heads. A lot of games use this method and is not hard to implement.
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby DeUgli » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:20 pm

L3th4l wrote:The simple solution is to have it so you see an icon over YOUR teammates heads.

I would certainly vote for that method. It works great across difference graphics settings, etc.
DeUgli
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby hika » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:39 am

I'm partially in with L3th4l's idea.
But what about the gameplay ? Maybe, it would be too easy to locate your teammates, from a very far place.
And I also think this icon appears even if you don't point your crosshair to your teammate.

It's worth a try, anyway, so let me know guys if you really want it. 8)
SG name: Manchot
SG fansite: http://western.bsdmon.com
userbar originally created by Caffeine
hika
SG Team

Postby Chainsaw » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:21 am

This is just my opinion, but I think friendly fire is part of the risk of battle. I know I've turned around and fired before my crosshairs even landed on the target (shotguns especially) only to wound or kill a comrade before the red X appeared. And had the same happen to me. It sucks, but it's what happens.

I think that by forcing player models and supplying the red X you go far enough in team play. I'd support a server-side force player models option, but perma-icons and/or garishly different (red/blue) skins just takes away from the ambience.

There's my $.02.
Chainsaw
Quick Draw

Postby L3th4l » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:25 am

hika wrote:I'm partially in with L3th4l's idea.
But what about the gameplay ? Maybe, it would be too easy to locate your teammates, from a very far place.
And I also think this icon appears even if you don't point your crosshair to your teammate.

It's worth a try, anyway, so let me know guys if you really want it. 8)

Thats the point, is to be able to see your teammates all the time :wink:

Yes, the icons would be visible all the time by everyone on your team. You could give it a cvar that could be bound to a key in game to turn it on or off..
Last edited by L3th4l on Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:00 am

I'm happy to see so much feeling in this debate. It means people love the game, & it makes me proud to know I will have been a part of its past. However, after careful consideration, I think it's best we not add to the dev teams load. We should try to finish the things we really need to do now, & worry about additional improvements once the source is released. Stuff like this just pushes back the SA. I hope you all understand. But please, feel free to continue discussion here for future reference. 8)
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Chainsaw » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:22 am

it makes me proud to know I will have been a part of its past.

Whoa! I don't like the implications of that statement.

<rant>One of the biggest problems with open source projects is that really good projects fall apart after the original team loses interest. If there were a bunch of capable programmers playing this game, they'd already have joined the dev team. *sigh* What is to be done? How do we assure SG for our children?</rant>
Chainsaw
Quick Draw

Postby L3th4l » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:49 am

Chainsaw wrote:<rant>One of the biggest problems with open source projects is that really good projects fall apart after the original team loses interest. If there were a bunch of capable programmers playing this game, they'd already have joined the dev team. *sigh* What is to be done? How do we assure SG for our children?</rant>

Not sure I understand what your saying.. We are not the original team, so I take from that statement that you think the mod has fallen apart since ICI stopped working on it..
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Next

Return to Stand-alone Testing

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel