With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Pre SG 1.0 archive

Linux and the graphics.

Postby Dexx » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:33 pm

Hello, here are my problems after i quickly tested the SA under Linux (version 0.4 of Apr. 8, 2007). It worked quite well under Windows XP on the same computers. It didn't work at all with "Wine" because of a config file if i remember well. Hope this is going to help you solve some problems for Linux or whatever...anyway :

First computer:
ASUS A6rp laptop, under Linux Ubuntu 7.10, Celeron M420, 1 GB RAM memory, with an Ati Xpress 200M (mobility), proprietary driver, graphic acceleration activated. (running with something like 1240*xxx as a desktop resolution or smth like that, don't remember exactly, it's over 1024 anyway... smth like 1240...hehe)

-The game launches in windowed mode, even if the Full screen mode is activated. Deactivating and reactivating doesn't work...
-Graphics are very bad, i forgot taking a screenshot but i can do so if you need one. Here is a link to a pic i found on the internet, this is approximately what it looked like : http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/5221 ... 308rr6.jpg

The second computer which has the same operating system, is an AMD Athlon xp 2600+ with a Geforce FX 5200 graphic card (with 1024 x 768 resolution). The game runs well but the only problem is that the desktop keeps the game's resolution. Well, this can be fixed easily by putting the same resolution in the game but I wanted you to know this problem exists.

Hope I helped !

Sylvain
searching for a poncho...
Dexx
Pistolero

Postby L3th4l » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:29 am

Your first problem is caused by the drivers your using, you need updated drivers.
Windows XP provides generic updated drivers for that card hence why you don't have that problem under XP.
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Dexx » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:13 am

Thanks for replying. I'll try to update them, even if i rarely use the laptop to play, i just wanted to test the game. I'm glad you knew the problem. Anyway, it's always good to know that the drivers need to be updated so thanks again :)
Dexx
Pistolero

Postby Joe Kari » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:12 am

Hi !

The game runs well but the only problem is that the desktop keeps the game's resolution.

I think Q3 / Smokin' Guns isn't to blame, most probably an Xorg bug (I have got this little bug with lot of game)...
Anyway, many linux desktop provide the "Ctrl Alt +" and "Ctrl Alt -" shortcut in order to adjust quickly your screen size.

And... why are you using WINE ?
You should be able to launch :
./wquake3
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby Dexx » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:43 am

J'utilise pas Wine je disais juste que ?a ne marche pas au cas ou ?a les int?r?ssait de le savoir ;)

I'm not using Wine anyway... thanks for the tip !
Dexx
Pistolero

Return to Stand-alone Testing

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel