With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Pre SG 1.0 archive

Postby EvilFutsin » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:06 am

My God, Smokin' Guns having an issue of censorship?

What is this world coming to. :cry:

Oh, and looking forward to trying out the map, fellas, with a buncha players 'n' such. :)
"I Gotta Believe!"
EvilFutsin
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:56 am

EvilFutsin wrote:My God, Smokin' Guns having an issue of censorship?

Yes & no. If you recall, we posted news & download links of the map as it was orginally. Just makes sense to replace the image if we are to remain a "kid friendly" game & appeal to a broader fan base. Don't we want the most players we can get??
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Joe Kari » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:49 pm

@ Chainlightnin' : I like Van Gogh, and some others (but I don't remember their name, I don't know as many painter as my brother :)).

About the crash on RAWHIDE, I have compiled a new version without "nobots=1" and tested it with ReD last night, and it works well ;)
I have just tested it again this afternoon for around half a hours, and no problem.

General public should be able to download it soon (maybe this evening), of course tester can download it right now (by clicking the link at the beginning of this thread).
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby EvilFutsin » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:15 pm

Statements like "getting the most players we can" is the exact kind of lingo that the MPAA and studios use to justify taking out some so-called "inappropriate" content. The fact is, an original version was put up, another is being put up that does not include its original intent and the original choices of the author. Sounds like censorship to me.

Look, I'm not meaning to start an argument about this. I do understand the reason for this decision and yes, given the circumstances of the current SG community it's necessary. I just find it interesting that of all places for projects I've worked on, this is the one that actually has had something censored to fit a certain demographic.

Also, being an artist's son (my mother does fine art, or hopes to anyway), I was raised on artistic nudes for a real long time and it was made clear its meaning was meant to be beauty of the human body. But, that's not the case with many people or many kids.

It's unfortunate, since if Joe and/or George chose it, I trust theirdecision. He spent so much time on Alamo that it seems like every single texture and bit of lighting was used to an autuer-like degree of detail and vision. For them to lose even a fragment of that sense of choice bothers me.

I dunno. Just speaking my opinion on the matter. Filmmakers have a real issue with censoring or removing anything after so many damned MPAA debacles. :roll:

Oh yes, will be trying the map today, Joe! Good to hear about the bots thing being fixed.
"I Gotta Believe!"
EvilFutsin
SG Team

Postby ChainLightnin' » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:07 pm

Maybe if we keep your copy of the "uncensored" version, it will become famous! :)
Well...Mr. Chain Blue Lightnin' hisself..heh, heh!
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:33 pm

EvilFutsin wrote:The fact is, an original version was put up, another is being put up that does not include its original intent and the original choices of the author.

True, but ultimately the decision to change the image was made by the authors. It's not like this website can keep them from releasing it elsewhere.

Joe Kari's own words:
If they don't agree, they should remove Alamo from the map cycle of their server and everyone will be happy. This is a server admin matter, not a level designer matter.

In the interest of having as many players on my server as possible, I was one of 2 server admins contemplating not hosting it. So you see, it really does boil down to the consumers in this case. Make all the R rated films you want, but you exclude a large portion of your potential audience from viewing it. If you're happy with less box office success, then maximum exposure of your work evidently isn't a priority for you. But the producers & theatres might not agree with your vision based on consumer demand. :wink:

Look... Joe, George & I have discussed this at length already in recent weeks. Their decision has been made & they have replaced the painting with one that I think is just as beautiful & causes no controversy. Can we please explore other areas of Alamo feedback now? :)
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby EvilFutsin » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:33 pm

30 years from now it'll be on a special release of whatever the hell they have, media-wise, labeling it, "SMOKIN GUNS - THE UNCUT EDITION."

Actually by that time there'll probably have been more things excised for content reasons.
"I Gotta Believe!"
EvilFutsin
SG Team

Postby Clintstone » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:20 am

Hi Joe Kari,

again: Fine map! However, I found out two things, which are not so problematic, but I don't want them to get lost:

Back there:
you can jump through the ceiling...
Well, at least with your head :wink: Just a small thing.

Something else: The dishes are bullet-proof ;-) Any chance to make them breakable?

However: Thanks for the map!

All the best,

Clintstone
Clintstone
Quick Draw

Postby Joe Kari » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:13 pm

Hi Clintstone, thanks for feedback !

For the first thing, it is known as "light leak", unfortunately it is sometime impossible to fix... It is a bug of q3map2, the program that compile map. I have already though of manually editing lightmap (yes I'm mad), but it is difficult to find the right lightmap.

For the second thing, well, I haven't investigate too much, but if I'm not wrong we can't make an MD3 breakable.

Thanks for feedback !
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby L3th4l » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:47 pm

@JOE

Did you read what clint said.. lol. When you jump, your head goes through the ceiling in that spot.. :D That is caused by the ceiling being to low, I had the same problem on train in the bank car. Adding a player clip brush will fix it or raising the ceiling..

No MD3's cannot be breakable..

Also, getting rid of the light bleeding is possible, but it takes some work..
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby DeUgli » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:19 am

L3th4l wrote:Also, getting rid of the light bleeding is possible, but it takes some work..
Considering how many maps have light leaks, and how much work it would take to fix, I suggest everyone pretend it is an attempt to show how makeshift the construction work was in the Old West. "Dude, it's authentic!"
DeUgli
Smokin' Amigo!

Previous

Return to Stand-alone Testing

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel