With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Pre SG 1.0 archive

Stand Alone Bug Reports Go Here

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:08 am

Like the title says, post your thoughts & bug reports in this thread please. ENJOY! 8)
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Linux no-worky (seg fault)

Postby Chainsaw » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:54 am

When I run the wquake3 executable I just get a segmentation fault. I've been out of the loop for a while, so I'll just put up more info than you probably want.

I just downloaded the SA zip file posted on the main SA Tester page. (Yes, I am very special!) I unzipped it to my ~/Downloads/ directory and instead of creating a directory "smokinguns" (as Red's post said it would) it created a directory called "Smoking' Guns".

The linux ELF executable wasn't marked as executable, but after I chmod'ed it I get a SegFault. I know that the shell doesn't always like single ticks so I moved the whole directory to ~/Games/smokinguns/. I still got a SegFault.

Anyone got any advice? This is literally the first time I've logged on to the site in 6 months, and I'm doing it on a brand new machine, so I was thrilled to download the latest SA, but it doesn't work.

PS: Cheers to everyone I haven't shot or been shot by in a long time! I can't wait to get slaughtered when I finally get online for a game!

PPS: I'm running LinuxMint 5.0, which is a derivative of Ubuntu (but which I like much better). I just got it running tonight and I went to download some games from their repository and WQ3 was an option! That's awesome! The package they had was based on OpenArena. It had two reviews, both of which were 5 stars. I'll be adding a third 5 star review soon. Still, I opted to download the SA version because I hunger for the bleeding edge (I don't mean at the end of a Bowie either!).
Chainsaw
Quick Draw

Postby ChainLightnin' » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:26 am

Gonna be lot of fun! First off, however, everything is very dark. From the main page on, really dark. Only the first 1/4 of the brightness slide does anything. Seems like I ran into this before, but my other sa test game is set up the same and works fine. Can't figure it out. Otherwise I think it's working well, what I can see. Ideas? :)
Well...Mr. Chain Blue Lightnin' hisself..heh, heh!
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Re: Linux no-worky (seg fault)

Postby Tequila » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:50 am

Chainsaw wrote:When I run the wquake3 executable I just get a segmentation fault.
The linux ELF executable wasn't marked as executable, but after I chmod'ed it I get a SegFault. ... I still got a SegFault.

Hi Chainsaw,

yes I got the same problem while starting the RC1 server. I quickly decided to start QVM based server under ioQ3 dedicated server. So you can try that way to start the game under Linux.

Also, I didn't have time to try the linux installer with the SA RC1 but I think it can work: try it and report any problem with it (check Linux installer thread). The linux installer has only linux binaries for the engine, nothing else. As I'm thinking of it, I don't see why it couldn't work ;)... I'll try to test that later.

Good to see linux tester :D
Tequila
SG Team

Postby DeUgli » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:41 pm

ChainLightnin' wrote:First off, however, everything is very dark. From the main page on, really dark.
This is definitely an old problem. I remember having that problem with the WQ3 mod years ago, and it also happened to a friend of mine with a completely different computer. This may have even been back in the Iron Claw days.

(I'm downloading the RC1 as I write, so I don't know if this will be a problem for me this time.)
Irgendeiner wartet immer.
DeUgli
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Chainsaw » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:06 pm

Not sure if you want this here, or under the Linux Installer thread. The installer worked, and the game looks great, but no sound! I have sound in all other applications including the Western Quake 3 mod with Open Arena. But in the SA, nothing.

It looks great! I can't wait to get into it more.
Chainsaw
Quick Draw

dm_Train doesn't start in single player

Postby Chainsaw » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:15 pm

I haven't tested every map yet, but dm_Train definitely doesn't want to start. I select it, click "Start Server" and it returns me to the main page with the guns, cleaning gear, etc. If I click single player again, it has dm_Train visually highlighted, but it has actually selected br_Alamo.
Chainsaw
Quick Draw

Postby Breli » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:19 pm

@Chainsaw: train and lake are not ready yet and thus can't be started. As for your second bug: thats an old one, always bothered me as well but nobody seems to care :lol:

Thanks for testing!

8)
SG name: =SG= BRELI

Harmonica: Did you bring a horse?
Gunmen: Looks like we are short on one horse!
Harmonica: No. You brought two too many.
Breli
SG Team

Postby Tequila » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:15 pm

Chainsaw wrote:Not sure if you want this here, or under the Linux Installer thread. The installer worked, and the game looks great, but no sound! I have sound in all other applications including the Western Quake 3 mod with Open Arena. But in the SA, nothing.

It looks great! I can't wait to get into it more.

argh, of course sound is not working by itself as it is based on a very old API I guess... That's a point that make me use ioQ3 engine as ioQ3 engine support OpenAL. (OpenArena is also based on ioQ3 engine I guess)

For the sound, check you're console and tell us what it is saying about sound (intialization and/or failure). I will try tomorow... :oops: I hope I will be able to try it in fact...

Not sure, maybe you just have to be sure your unix user has rights to write on /dev/dsp and be sure there's no other application using it... Really have to try it in depth by myself...
Tequila
SG Team

Re: Linux no-worky (seg fault)

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:28 pm

Chainsaw wrote:I unzipped it to my ~/Downloads/ directory and instead of creating a directory "smokinguns" (as Red's post said it would) it created a directory called "Smoking' Guns".

You are correct. That was a mistake on my part. I corrected it in my post now. Thanks & good to see you here again! Wish I could help with your other problems. :?
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:59 pm

Enable Punkbuster: yes/no

This needs to be removed from the multiplayer screen. 8O
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

dark screen

Postby ChainLightnin' » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:06 am

I remembered! I ran the game in XP compat. mode and it gave me back the brightness control slide. So no more darkness! Just for kicks, in DM Fort I went up on top of the fence, and it autowalked me right off, every time. Does that happen to anyone else? Fun maps! :D
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Re: dark screen

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:59 am

ChainLightnin' wrote:I remembered! I ran the game in XP compat. mode and it gave me back the brightness control slide. So no more darkness!

You're on Vista now right? Maybe we should add this tip to the manual.
ChainLightnin' wrote:Just for kicks, in DM Fort I went up on top of the fence, and it autowalked me right off, every time. Does that happen to anyone else? :D

It's always been that way. (I guess you've never noticed it untill now.) There is a "slippery" property applied to the top of the fences to keep players from camping there. Makes for some good fun if you can hit it just right. Sometimes I can "skate" for a pretty good distance. :lol:

I haven't been on much this weekend due to a nasty cold. Looks like I need to email some of our testers to make sure they know about the new package.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby ChainLightnin' » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:20 am

Yup, Vista Home Premium 64 bit. The SA runs, but Vista basically shuts down the brightness control slider, and all is very dark.. Simply checking the XP service pack 2 mode for the application file, gave back the slide function. All else seems to work great! Wow, I guess I never tried to camp on the fence! :lol: (That cold has been goin' around. Get better!)
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby Joe Kari » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:32 pm

@ Chain :
For dm_fort, yes, I used to name that "surfing" lol
I must admit that I use this a lot, if you aim well, you can surf the whole wall lenght without touching any move key, this allow you to shoot in every direction.
Howewer, it allows you some extra access to the roof.
Well, not very realistic, but fun......
Joe Kari
SG Team

Next

Return to Stand-alone Testing

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel