With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Game server information & questions.

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor

Jeuxlinux.fr announcements.

Postby Barto » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:54 am

This topic aims to do few announcements about the server that is jeuxlinux.fr.
I'll update the post accordingly when something happens that will probably need people's attention.

All code patches are available on Github and are in the .diff format so it can be compiled easily without forking the entire code base of the game.

28th August 2016: timelimit and fraglimit fixes
Added a new pk3 called zz_jeuxlinuxfr_0000.pk3 which ensures to avoid bad values of timelimit and fraglimit. Make sure that your game allows download when connecting to the server via the cl_allowDownload variable or via the game interface. It is a bug also present in the upstream ioquake3 project and we also have elaborated a fix that is waiting to get merged.
"Chuck Norris had to shorten his beard in the presence of Richard Stallman because two beards that awesome, so close would segfault the universe (again)."
Barto
Jeuxlinux Admin

Re: Jeuxlinux.fr announcements.

Postby TheDoctor » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:18 am

I was recently asked to create a Bank Robbery (BR) server and realized only then, the Jeuxlinux.fr server was missing. As it seems, it has been shut down since around April 2018. Barto as well as I have tried to contact the former administrator, Lululaglue, but got no response yet.

Therefore, I'm offering to provide a BR server until JeuxLinux.fr comes back.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Barto » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:25 am

Thanks Doc for all your work. I'm sorry that I am powerless against the situation.
"Chuck Norris had to shorten his beard in the presence of Richard Stallman because two beards that awesome, so close would segfault the universe (again)."
Barto
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby TheDoctor » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:32 pm

Unfortunately, I just got confirmation that Jeuxlinux.fr is not coming back :(
Lululaglue wrote:Hi,

I have canceled my dedicated server a few month ago. My website is dead and I've closed all my services (mumble, games server, ftp, ...)

I didn't think he would still have smokin-guns players.

Regards.

Semper fidelis, Jeux Linux
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Barto » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:55 pm

Looks like my two emails went unnoticed, or went straight in his spam folder, but yours not.

This is sad to hear his response, I still had some hope it would come again since his website is still up, and I understand that he is the one to pay the cost.
It's clear that the player base is deeply lower than what we used to see back then, and that we got overwhelmed by other free to play games from big companies. For older players like me, we just moved to other things. I started university in 2012, and I just got my master degree this summer. Considering that I first played here during my freshman's high school year, that's a long ride that is soon to turn 10 years old.

I did not play any game online during my last 6 years of life. Two reasons: I got bored to repetitively see people with their toxic behavior, or globally was too tired to do anything (engineering right there). Also, doing the admin work is exhausting. As soon as you come on the server, there are people that come to complain for just about anything.

Still, this place was the de-factor hideout for any BR game in the EU zone.
We can thank Lulu for all these years of support without cost, and for a damn stable server. He was even open to patch the server to fix a timelimit integer overflow I observed one day, and reported to ioquake3.

Maybe the day I'll have my own server (read it: unlikely since I currently rely on some ARM boards for an internal server in my home), running a dedicated server will be one of the things I'll do there.

Thank you Doctor for all the help and work you did for us, I am always happy to see you around, being one of the last person that gives a serious damn to keep this game playable, and that is capable to do so.
Barto
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby Barto » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:10 pm

I've been thinking of this just now.

TheDoctor, since you are better placed to write to Lululaglue, are you able to ask him for a dump of the server data/config file, just as a way to have a permanent archive?
Barto
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby TheDoctor » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:41 pm

Barto wrote:Are you able to ask him for a dump of the server data/config file, just as a way to have a permanent archive?
I will for the config file.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Barto » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:28 am

TheDoctor wrote:I will for the config file.

Thanks! So far no answer, but that'd be great if we want to rebuild a similarly configured server in the future. Or, at least, have the possibility to do so.
I hope that the mapcycle can be applied, and that we did not lose a map package. But, for that matter, I'm confident we've all those data saved.

Meanwhile I've requested some preventive archive to be made of jeuxlinux.fr's website and forum by Archivebot. So far, they can get consulted at https://archive.fart.website/archivebot ... uxlinux.fr .
The archives are in compressed warc format, so we'll need to figure out how to read those, but I'm safe to say that there is a nice way to do it. Eventually, this may get added to the Wayback Machine of the Internet Archive.
Barto
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby -Murdoc- » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:31 pm

Hey Barto ! Do you think Jeuxlinux server will reborn soon ? :)
-Murdoc-
Quick Draw

Postby Barto » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:21 am

I honestly doubt. As you've read, we have asked lululaglue if he could provide us the server config file, but I got no answer back.

Without a new dedicated server (it's 50€ per month btw), without the original config that I did not backup* (we'd loved to have the mapcycle f.e.), and without lululaglue following our will of creating a new server, we are hopeless to have it back.

I am deeply sorry of this current situation.

* Aannd, here is the one thing I should have done a backup of and managed to miss it... I have a bunch of old player's config file, but I trusted lululaglue to be able to give me this config when the time had come. Since I still have logs laying around, this is the best I had come to:
Code: Select all
Current search path:
/usr/games/.smokinguns/smokinguns
/opt/games/smokin_guns_1.1/smokinguns/zz_jeuxlinuxfr_0000.pk3 (4 files)
/opt/games/smokin_guns_1.1/smokinguns/zlago.pk3 (31 files)
/opt/games/smokin_guns_1.1/smokinguns/tijuana_1.5.pk3 (31 files)
/opt/games/smokin_guns_1.1/smokinguns/sg_pak0.pk3 (2562 files)
/opt/games/smokin_guns_1.1/smokinguns/included_fanpak0.pk3 (224 files)
/opt/games/smokin_guns_1.1/smokinguns/deadwood.pk3 (33 files)
/opt/games/smokin_guns_1.1/smokinguns/br_warehouse_mini_aas.pk3 (9 files)
/opt/games/smokin_guns_1.1/smokinguns/br_warehouse_mini.pk3 (8 files)
/opt/games/smokin_guns_1.1/smokinguns/br_santaclare.pk3 (103 files)
/opt/games/smokin_guns_1.1/smokinguns
/usr/games/.smokinguns/baseq3
/opt/games/smokin_guns_1.1/baseq3/pak0.pk3 (101 files)
/opt/games/smokin_guns_1.1/baseq3

(...)

InitGame: \g_deathcam\0\g_chaseonly\1\g_roundtime\3\du_forcetrio\0\du_enabletrio\0\scorelimit\10\duellimit\0\g_specsareflies\0\g_blueteam\Outlaws\g_redteam\Lawmen\sv_hostname\^4Jeux^7linux^1.fr - v1.1 - Enable auto download\sv_maxRate\130
00\sv_minPing\0\sv_maxPing\0\sv_floodProtect\1\dmflags\0\fraglimit\25\timelimit\0\sv_maxclients\17\g_maxGameClients\0\g_allowVote\1\g_gametype\5\sv_minRate\0\sv_dlURL\http://smokinguns.parttimegeeks.net\g_delagHitscan\1\g_allowVoteKick\1\
g_maxMoney\9999999999999999999\g_newShotgunPattern\1\g_roundNoMoveTime\3\version\1.1_SVN642 20120528 linux-i386\protocol\68\mapname\br_warehouse_mini\sv_privateClients\1\sv_allowDownload\1\Admin\Rane\Email\rane <at> gentoo <dot> org\g_motd\Please vi
sit www.smokin-guns.org and www.jeuxlinux.fr\sv_Location\France\MOD_URL\www.smokin-guns.org\IRC\#smokinguns @ irc.freenode.net\gamename\smokinguns\g_needpass\0\g_redteamcount\0\g_blueteamcount\0\g_redteamscore\0\g_blueteamscore\0\sg_versi
on\1.1 20160813

Looking closer at the last log file:
Code: Select all
Kill: 3 0 9: Tuco * killed Tuco by MOD_SAWEDOFF
----- Server Shutdown (Received signal 15) -----
Sending heartbeat to master.smokin-guns.org
Sending heartbeat to master.ioquake3.org
NET_SendPacket: Operation not permitted
Sending heartbeat to soulserv.net:27950
Sending heartbeat to parttimegeeks.net:27950
Sending heartbeat to master.smokin-guns.org
Sending heartbeat to master.ioquake3.org
Sending heartbeat to soulserv.net:27950
Sending heartbeat to parttimegeeks.net:27950
==== ShutdownGame ====
ShutdownGame:
------------------------------------------------------------
AAS shutdown.
---------------------------
Barto
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby -Murdoc- » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:13 pm

We cross fingers for Lululaglue contact you! :o 50$/month it's a sum of monney ! I hope Jeuxlinux server comes back one day !
-Murdoc-
Quick Draw

Return to Telegraph Station

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel