With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Game server information & questions.

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor

Postby Waco Kid » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:08 am

So how do you know when someone is cheating? I'm not very good, but sometimes I see people who just are too good, they hit headshots repeatably at distances I can't even see them under my crosshairs, and seem to have superhuman reflexes and always know where you are wven when you are crouchwalking with no footsteps?
Waco Kid
Drifter

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:28 am

Howdy Waco Kid. Some of the players you will meet have been playing this game since it was called Western Quake 3 version 1.1, from around the year 2000 or so. They have tweaked their setups, use good speakers or headphones, & know every inch of every map. It's very easy to assume one of these veteran players is a cheater if you don't know any better.
As for spotting a real cheater, that's a bit tricky but there are some things that might give him away. Someone using a "wallhack" can see through walls but this also makes it difficult to move through the map since everything is somewhat transparent & they get a little confused. They will constantly bump into walls & look confused as they try to navigate. Using an "aimbot" only gets a noob player so far. This can usually be detected by a trained eye, since the players model jerks around a bit in order to automatically aim at a target. Behaves a bit like a bot. A skilled player can take out a cheater using an aimbot fairly easily.

In my opinion, only someone already skilled at fps games would gain a benefit from using cheats. But most skilled players don't need or want them & they find it only causes problems anyway, so that brings us full circle. I've only ever seen one demo of someone that I truly suspected was cheating in this game & that was a long time ago. SG isn't popular enough to keep the sort of kids who like to cheat around for long anyway... which is a good thing I guess.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Bodie » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:15 pm

You can install monsterbrowser or similar software and monitor games. This way you will know who plays most often and scores biggest frag counts.

You also can look at old stats, you will understand why some people are so unbelievably good. Like Chilli or stuffStohl for example who still play often.

template.php?page=15

There are guys with 4000 kills there, guys with kill streaks of 20 frags.

monSter guy who was accused of cheating in this thread is present there with around 20 kills per game average.
SG names: Bodie (aka mS // Donnie).
Admin on Jeuxlinux, RAWHIDE, #sg.wars and some other servers.
Bodie
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby moRtem » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:23 pm

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:HSomeone using a "wallhack" can see through walls but this also makes it difficult to move through the map since everything is somewhat transparent & they get a little confused. They will constantly bump into walls & look confused as they try to navigate.

that's not true :: i dunno where that rumour comes from, but i guess it comes from cheaters who want to confuse ppl

wallhacks usually make models visible through walls.. (but without altering the appeareance of the walls) ... no cheater will bump against a wall

Using an "aimbot" only gets a noob player so far. This can usually be detected by a trained eye, since the players model jerks around a bit in order to automatically aim at a target. Behaves a bit like a bot. A skilled player can take out a cheater using an aimbot fairly easily.

i guess that you have never seen a more advanced aimbot .. if an experienced player is using such a tool, it's almost impossible to prove it (altough you might see some dodgy things, a big part of the community will cover him due to insufficient proof)

In my opinion, only someone already skilled at fps games would gain a benefit from using cheats. But most skilled players don't need or want them & they find it only causes problems anyway, so that brings us full circle.

depends .. as soon as a game gets competetive, players start to cheat

/quit
moRtem
Gunslinger

Postby Dadamungo » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:33 pm

I've never seen a cheat for Smokin Guns before, but I've seen quite a few people using them in Urban Terror. I admin on the Beer Garden servers, aimbots seem the easiest to spot because you see a snap of their aim when an enemy crosses their path (or at least the ones I've seen). Wallhacks are harder to catch if the player is good, but a lot of times you'll see a person track the enemy through the walls, or even better shoot too soon, before they even come out.
Dadamungo
Shootist

Postby Waco Kid » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:57 pm

There is a guy on RAWHIDE cheating right now, he's using a wallhack and being obvious, using a sharps and shooting through walls.
Waco Kid
Drifter

Postby torhu » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:59 pm

RAWHIDE is empty right now, but I'll keep an eye out. ;)
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Waco Kid » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:16 pm

Because me and the other guy left, it wasn't much fun continuing our duel with the guy with the sniper rifle in the corner shooting you through walls.

The cheater had the default SGplayer name.
Waco Kid
Drifter

Postby Pardner » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:22 pm

Waco Kid, if this problem happens again, try to catch one of the SG members on the IRC channel. Someone is usally there and can go in and take a look and maybe get their IP.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby Waco Kid » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:47 pm

I can't tab into or out of SG when it's active. The other guy I was playing with I think his handle is boog, not that he will know any more about it than I do.
Waco Kid
Drifter

Postby Pardner » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:32 am

you can pres alt+Enter to go to windowed mode, then press "~" to be able to click to IRC
Pardner
SG Team

Postby Waco Kid » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:04 am

Ah, OK.

How do you make usernames with color characters in game? I suppose this is the wrong thread to ask that.
Waco Kid
Drifter

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:30 am

@ moRtem: I haven't tried any hacks in years. The last time I did was purely for research purposes. I suppose the hacks have changed since then.

About a cheater on Rawhide: We need his IP address.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:36 am

Waco Kid wrote:I can't tab into or out of SG when it's active. The other guy I was playing with I think his handle is boog, not that he will know any more about it than I do.

OK, well I played boog. So either he is not cheating or he is really bad at cheating. I easily beat him!

@Waco, to use colored names just:
/name^3Pardner = Pardner

the color list is:
8 (black, doesn't show on score board)

Pardner
SG Team

Postby HomeSlice » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:29 am

I don't believe boog cheats. I was playing BR with him and a few other people yesterday night. I had the chance of observing him after I died, and cheating never crossed my mind.
HomeSlice
Drifter

PreviousNext

Return to Telegraph Station

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel