With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Game server information & questions.

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor

Teammate shooter

Postby dowoshek » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:25 pm

Hello,
My in-game nick is 7th Bullet, i'm SG-addicted since few weeks :)
This post is rather a request for server admins, especially Jeuxlinux.fr where i like to play BR. Since couple of days i have problem with player [JUAN]Fernando... this guy used to shoot me as my teammate (not kill, just shoot in the leg for example). He usually do it at the begging of round in the crowd - so i couldn't notice who is exactly shooting at me... But finally i caught him red-handed and the only thing he could said was that i shot him first (!? don't know, maybe few days ago i did it by accident?) and then left the server immediately... I have really no idea why he chose me or maybe i was not the only one and he just finds some pleasure in shooting and irritating his teammates... I'll be grateful for banning this dude or at least for keeping an eye on him... thanx :)
Cheers
PS: I know sometimes, especially at the beggining of round it's possible to shoot teammates by accident, but this is not the case in here...
dowoshek
Gunslinger

Postby Pardner » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:50 am

Unfortunately, Jeux server isn't moderated very well. they only thing you can do is leave the server or try to have an intelligent conversation. I've found that the people who don't know how to distinguish teammates also don't know how to type messages either.

Pardner
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:09 pm

Pardner wrote:Unfortunately, Jeux server isn't moderated very well.

I can see how one might draw that conclusion, given the complaints that wind up on our forum, but it's getting better over there I think.
dowoshek, I've played with [JUAN]Fernando before & he seemed like a nice guy to me but maybe he's not so nice to you? We can't do anything about it since we don't own the server. The best you can do is email the server admin who is lululaglue on this forum. Also, I believe a player named Zongy has admin rights there.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Lucky Bro » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:51 pm

My brother complained about this guy ([JUAN]Fernando) too..
The reason was the same - TKing.
I didn't play with this guy at all, so can't say anything. Actually I didn't play for weeks, so I can't say even if this guy a new one or not.

And one more notice I want to make - sometimes there (on Jeux) are some strange guys who are using others nicks.. So may be that wasn't Fernando by himself. I mean don't be hurry to punish him :)
"You should know that the lies won't hide your flaws/No sense in hiding all of yours/You gave up on your dreams along the way" (c) "Fake it" by Seether
P.S. English isn't my native language.
Lucky Bro
Gunslinger

Postby dowoshek » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:27 pm

Yeah, i don't care so much about punishment this certain guy. I can always switch teams finally and hope i'm the only chosen one by him :wink:
If we're talking about punishment... in another topic i mentioned system used in other games to get rid of teamkillers (quick access to punish your recent teamkiller by, for example, killing him, give him warning etc.) and this can be an option in this case too... in fact, if i remember well, something like this works i.e. in Soldat (2D shooter): if you shoot (not necceserily kill, just shoot) your teammates you can get a warning - if you get 3 warnings you're banned for 30 minutes. In addition teammate shooter can be punished by lowering his/her health by an amount of health his teammate lost (multiplied by 2 for example). This way we could easily forget about teamkillers and teamshooters... well... not easily for developers of course :roll:
dowoshek
Gunslinger

Postby Allied » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:05 pm

I've never had a problem with Fernando myself, and I have seen TKers use names of other people. That being said, sometimes a small feud will develop between two players and they end up TKing each other until someone sorts them out.

However, the TK punishment story is not good at all. No good player should be punished for an accident. Nothing is more annoying than losing money and points because you accidentally TK. Getting warned or banned into the bargain will just make it worse.

Arguably, TKing shouldn't exist at all. TKers don't care at all for losing money or points, it's quite simply a worthless thing that hurts only legitimate players. Why should legitimate players lose points for TKing? It was an accident and what's worse is that one always knows that the thing it was meant to prevent (TKers), don't care at all about losing points. If you're a legitimate player why should you lose your equipment to something that nobody wants to happen ever (being TKed)? Quite simply, TKing promotes TKers and hurts only legitimate players. If you want the additional concern of hitting teammates, don't punish legitimate players since that's not going to help a thing.

Having a "file TK complaint" kick/ban might work, and might just make it worse for legitimate players. Often on a first accidental TK by a player, no matter how obviously legitimate they are will instantly result in someone calling a poll to ban. Players most often simply don't check, they get annoyed at being TKed and want the other guy punished. If there's only 3 people left on a team, and the other side has most of their players living, it's awfully difficult not to have a sensitive shotgun trigger when you round a corner and see someone you didn't expect to. If that happened twice or three times (which is easily possible, I've done it myself), you may have a ban that simply was not deserved.

A little long, but this is a problem that can't be solved by half thought out solutions. I personally support no TKing at all, since it merely makes it harder on legitimate players and gives a great time to idiots who enjoy TKing.
Allied
Quick Draw

Postby torhu » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:29 am

Well, one could always play on servers that have friendly fire disabled. ;) Don't know if any SG servers do that, though...
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Lucky Bro » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:29 pm

Allied wrote:Arguably, TKing shouldn't exist at all. TKers don't care at all for losing money or points, it's quite simply a worthless thing that hurts only legitimate players. Why should legitimate players lose points for TKing? It was an accident and what's worse is that one always knows that the thing it was meant to prevent (TKers), don't care at all about losing points. If you're a legitimate player why should you lose your equipment to something that nobody wants to happen ever (being TKed)? Quite simply, TKing promotes TKers and hurts only legitimate players. If you want the additional concern of hitting teammates, don't punish legitimate players since that's not going to help a thing.

A little long, but this is a problem that can't be solved by half thought out solutions. I personally support no TKing at all, since it merely makes it harder on legitimate players and gives a great time to idiots who enjoy TKing.

Well said! I completely share your vision here.
And personally I think any solution which tries to deal only with insulting TKs (or only with cheaters) will make code harder to read/understand/modify and will make game more complicated (and may be even slower).
Hope someday I eventually will be able to express myself as easy as I do it with my own language :)

torhu wrote:Well, one could always play on servers that have friendly fire disabled. Don't know if any SG servers do that, though...

Tequila's BR only has it.. And I don't play there because of Friendly Fire (FF) off :) FF is a big part of fun I'm getting from the game.
"You should know that the lies won't hide your flaws/No sense in hiding all of yours/You gave up on your dreams along the way" (c) "Fake it" by Seether
P.S. English isn't my native language.
Lucky Bro
Gunslinger

Postby Grelouk » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:57 pm

If you have any trouble on jeuxlinux, come on irc, and ask for Grelouk or Zongy.
Grelouk
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby Allied » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:55 pm

Grelouk wrote:If you have any trouble on jeuxlinux, come on irc, and ask for Grelouk or Zongy.

What IRC channel and on what host Gre?
Allied
Quick Draw

Postby Bodie » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:52 pm

irc.freenode.net - #smokinguns
irc.quakenet.org - #sg.wars
SG names: Bodie (aka mS // Donnie).
Admin on Jeuxlinux, RAWHIDE, #sg.wars and some other servers.
Bodie
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby DeUgli » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:54 pm

Lucky Bro wrote:FF is a big part of fun I'm getting from the game.

I agree. With FF off, lesser players just spam with dynamite. It takes more skill to kill only opponents. That's why I'm forgiving of the occasional accidental TK, as I hope my teammates are of mine. Accidents, mind you, not intentional TKs.
DeUgli
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby dowoshek » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:58 pm

Me again :)
I just left the server, because Fernando started to teamkill everybody... just for fun... we could only kick him, but he was back all the time... Sorry i don't use IRC so i can't check if sb is there who could ban him, but i think this guy is really worth of checking his IP in server's logs... 15 people playing and 1 guy spoiling the fun...
PS: I'm sure it was [JUAN]Fernando as he played there for longer time without problems, chatting with some guys, and then changed his name to UnnamedPlayer and teamkill everyone.
dowoshek
Gunslinger

Postby moRtem » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:39 pm

dowoshek wrote:Sorry i don't use IRC so i can't check if sb is there who could ban him

for the quakenet-channel you can always try:
http://webchat.quakenet.org/

join #sg-wars to contact grelouk or zongy... (and if you want, you can consider joining my clan's channel: #q3.nox aswell)

/quit
moRtem
Gunslinger

Postby Pardner » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:34 pm

or you can join the official Smokin' Guns channel here:
http://embed.mibbit.com/?server=irc.fre ... smokinguns
Pardner
SG Team

Next

Return to Telegraph Station

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar