With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Game server information & questions.

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor

B3 (aka Big Brother Bot)

Postby Joe Kari » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:10 pm

Joe Kari wrote:Hi !

Anyone here is aware of B3 (aka Big Brother Bot) ?
I know Urban Terror server admins use it a lot.

If we manage to install it with SG, it will ease server administration a lot, cause it has a lot of feature. And of course, if B3 works with our game, none of the coder will have to work on admin feature (which are quite annoying to code IMO).

B3 can kick Teamkiller, or ban them for for a while. For example a common config will ban a teamkiller for 1 minute, then if he reconnects and does it again, he is banned for 2 minutes, then for 4 minutes, and so on.

If someone loves to shoot at your legs at the begining of the round, but never kill you, he will be banned too, cause it count all damage done to a mate. Bans are performed on a combination of your IP adresse and your GUID, maybe with another params, but it works really well.

Before kicking a guy, the bot says something like "<nickname> will be kicked if not forgiven". If people injuried by him send the chat line "!forgive", all damage they have received from this guy will be forgiven.

B3 works with a database, and can do a lot of stuff, can remember who you are, can store your statistics, give admin status automatically.

I don't know how to install it, but i'm sure some of our player/admin will give it a try, the official website is here :
http://www.bigbrotherbot.com/

I have played 2 weeks ago on a server named something like vgames.eu , and i'm pretty sure that B3 was installed here, cause the console was chating similar things. Maybe we should ask the admin to write a tutorial ?

IMO, it is wiser than put a lot of energy to have our own admin system.

Hi,

Tequila told me that he has contacted "Villa", the admin of "vgames.eu" server, and he is okey to share his experience of installing/configuring B3 for Smoking Guns.

So go ahead dude !
We want you !

Oh, I'm not moderator here, so if Pardner or Red can mark this thread as "sticky", I think it's a really important thread.

For those that don't know what it is, here the main interest with B3: it provide a lot of stuff for monitoring your server, kick bad player (TK), remember user and doing statistics, and so on... For the dev team, it is really usefull too, because you already know that we don't have too much coder (poor Tequila ;) ), so if we can use B3 instead of coding admin stuff, we can focus on game feature.
Last edited by Joe Kari on Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby mLy! » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:30 pm

I didn't know SG has an GUID system?
If it does then thats great news, if it doesn't I don't think this B3 is possible for SG?
My Latest fragmovies:
Winning BB cup
mLy!
Gunslinger

Postby Tequila » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:34 pm

:D
Hey, my greatest contribution to 1.0 engine before starting the 1.1 branch based on ioQ3 was to backport ioQ3 GUID stuffs in 1.0 engine !!! That still was a year ago...

Yes SG has GUID system ;)
Great news !!!
Tequila
SG Team

Re: B3 (aka Big Brother Bot)

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:47 am

Joe Kari wrote:Oh, I'm not moderator here

Now you are. :wink:
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby mLy! » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:47 pm

There is no cd key, so does the GUID work on IP? Or on PC hardware?

Tequila wrote::D
Hey, my greatest contribution to 1.0 engine before starting the 1.1 branch based on ioQ3 was to backport ioQ3 GUID stuffs in 1.0 engine !!! That still was a year ago...

Yes SG has GUID system ;)
Great news !!!
My Latest fragmovies:
Winning BB cup
mLy!
Gunslinger

Postby Tequila » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:07 pm

None of the two :D
The best doc is the code you know, but I think I can resume it. The GUID is based on a "qkey" file... If that file doesn't exist, the engine just creates it with random numbers.

So on a same computer, if you install the game in another place, you'll always obtain a different GUID unless you copy the qkey file...
Tequila
SG Team

Postby moRtem » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:40 pm

Tequila wrote:None of the two :D
The best doc is the code you know, but I think I can resume it. The GUID is based on a "qkey" file... If that file doesn't exist, the engine just creates it with random numbers.

So on a same computer, if you install the game in another place, you'll always obtain a different GUID unless you copy the qkey file...

you think it would be possible to link qkey-files with registrations on smokin-guns.org sometime in future (long-term low-priority project) so that clan-players get a unique GUID ? At the same time it should be possible then to defer between GUIDs generated with qkey-file and GUIDs generated without qkey-file so that it is possible to tell the server (with a serverside setting) not to let people with random GUID join a team

what is this post about? -> This is only important in terms of competetive gaming, since only a GUID-system provides the possibility to get rid of unwanted players (-> cheaters, hard cases of lamers) in clan-wars -- especially in league-wars.

but like i said.. at the current point the SG-world seems like a nice little place, but in case the game gets more popular in future, "we" need tools to keep the game clean and enjoyable.

/quit
moRtem
Gunslinger

Postby Tequila » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:12 pm

moRtem wrote:
Tequila wrote:None of the two :D

you think it would be possible to link qkey-files with registrations on smokin-guns.org sometime in future (long-term low-priority project) so that clan-players get a unique GUID ? At the same time it should be possible then to defer between GUIDs generated with qkey-file and GUIDs generated without qkey-file so that it is possible to tell the server (with a serverside setting) not to let people with random GUID join a team

what is this post about? -> This is only important in terms of competetive gaming, since only a GUID-system provides the possibility to get rid of unwanted players (-> cheaters, hard cases of lamers) in clan-wars -- especially in league-wars.

but like i said.. at the current point the SG-world seems like a nice little place, but in case the game gets more popular in future, "we" need tools to keep the game clean and enjoyable.

/quit

Yes I think it's possible. And maybe we could think also to add few other stuffs like preventing nickname robbery :D
Anyway this is not a goal and I'm really just saying it's a possibility. Only cheaters & lamers may decide... but l3th4l has also its word ;)

You should know also centralized ban list may be activated easily with the next 1.1 engine...
So cheaters & lamers should really think to leave the place since now :twisted:

But let's talk about B3...
Tequila
SG Team

Re: B3 (aka Big Brother Bot)

Postby Kouma » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:26 am

Joe Kari wrote:B3 can kick Teamkiller

That REALLY doesn't sounds good.... 8O
I am Kouma and this is my shotgun. Togheter, we blow your head clean off.
Kouma
Shootist

Postby Tequila » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:17 am

About TK, we definitively need a good definition of what is a BAD TK... as I asked for in a previous post, TK with molotov & dynamite must be accepted... we just need to identify clearly each situation where a TK is not fair but just a stupid game pollution.

But that definition should really come in another thread that should also become definitively a sticky thread so people will know what is a TK in our world...

I won't start that thread as I'm not playing as much as I want and so I'm not a BAD TK victim :P
Tequila
SG Team

Postby Sucalakafufu » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:31 am

Tequila wrote:About TK, we definitively need a good definition of what is a BAD TK... as I asked for in a previous post, TK with molotov & dynamite must be accepted... we just need to identify clearly each situation where a TK is not fair but just a stupid game pollution.

But that definition should really come in another thread that should also become definitively a sticky thread so people will know what is a TK in our world...

I won't start that thread as I'm not playing as much as I want and so I'm not a BAD TK victim :P

would it perhaps be possible to have the game kno when the TK was with a molotov or dynamite? then if a person TKs with dyno or mol. the game can just add only 1 TK instead of how many that person killed. that way a molotov or dyno kill will equal 1 TK even if the person accidentally killed like 3 or more people. because i find that the most annoying TKers at least when im on, buy dyno and light it. then they run with u until u all die :/
SG Name: Sucalakafufu
Clan: [CWNN] - Clan With No Name
Sucalakafufu
Gunslinger

Postby Kouma » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:24 am

Sucalakafufu wrote:i find that the most annoying TKers at least when im on, buy dyno and light it. then they run with u until u all die :/

DUCK YOU SUCKER!!! :lol:
I am Kouma and this is my shotgun. Togheter, we blow your head clean off.
Kouma
Shootist

Postby Sucalakafufu » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:23 am

Kouma wrote:
Sucalakafufu wrote:i find that the most annoying TKers at least when im on, buy dyno and light it. then they run with u until u all die :/

DUCK YOU SUCKER!!! :lol:

LOL more like dodge or RUN SUPER SPEED!!!! xD
Sucalakafufu
Gunslinger

Postby Joe Kari » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:11 pm

Hem, can we focus on B3 bot please ? ;)
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby Sucalakafufu » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:28 pm

Joe Kari wrote:Hem, can we focus on B3 bot please ? ;)

sorry got off topic :/ see kouma!!! :evil:

well anyway i think if we modified the way the game keeps track of dyno and mol. TKs then i think B3 would work most times for TKers
Sucalakafufu
Gunslinger

Next

Return to Telegraph Station

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel