With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Game server information & questions.

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor

Options for a public BR server [closed - there are no such]

Postby Lucky Bro » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:41 pm

Hello,

I want to open this topic to discuss some points of a good public BR server :) I don't mean any current server (..am I? :)).
This topic could be helpful for admins (if they want to know what players are expecting from their servers). And for players who want to make thier expectations clean for the admins.

So, here are the points:

1. Maximum of allowed players.
Should be 8 or 10. 4vs4 or 5:5. No more.
I understand that it seems to be more fun when there are more than 8 people, but in my opinion it is not.
The reasons:
a)If you'll die first then you'll be waiting a whole eternity for end of the current round. What makes game playable? The process of playing and not the process of waiting.
Yeah, there is a whole buch of methods not to die first, but belive me, sometimes it is only about your luck.
And if you have only one-two hours in a day to play.. You probably shouldn't go to server with 16 peoples on it.
b)This will allow to make more servers active. Instead of one server with 8 people there could be two with 8. And both servers are happy. First become crowdy and second get it chance to work easy. Or both may work on the same machine - but that is not the point here and that is not always possible :)
2. The bots minimum number.
This should be 2.
0 will make the server lonely while you are waiting for players.
More than 2 will make server laggy.
3. Number of rounds in one match.
10 is usual value. Could be 7 as well.
Acutally it depends on next point.
4. Round time.
I think 2-3 minutes is fine.
That value makes me think that it will be much more harder to play infamous camper role to some players and will put some "liveliness" in matches.
But not more than 3 minutes. Since there are only 4 players to kill. And which is more important for this mode (BR) only two bags to stole.
And again the "casuality" reason. Mean that you will be able to play at least (3 times 10 equals 30 minutes) 2 matches in one hour in worst case of campers.
5. Match time = Round time multiplied by Number of rounds
6. Maps list. This thing could be unique for a particular server. I can say overal on maps section that playable maps are only small ones. The big ones are not so popular because they are.. big :) But that not a point to discuss here, there are a lot of topics outside to do it (or you may create a new one - "What BR map/map list should be like?") :)
7. Friendly fire is on.
That is only my vision of good BR/team games.. I don't have any objective arguments on it.
8. Dead talk.
The only reason I could find why dead talk should be off is because of that strange players who love to say where the last players are hidding..
That may help to prevent it.. But as far as I know there anyway is teamspeak and some things like it. So, I don't see any reason in turning it off at all. If players want to play fair - they'll be play fair. If not - they will find a way anyway.
And dead talk off is bringing more problems. Sometimes people can't understand why someone wants to kick someone.. or why there should be map change and so on. You can't say even "gg" when you're leaving.
?9. Free spectate mode.
I really like Red's and Faustin's (and not only theirs) movies they had done. Without that feature such movies are impossible.. :(
Yeah, player limit is some restriction on that too, but at least it will make a possibility to make movies for 3vs3 games. Or if there is admin online even 4vs4 by rising players limit for this short time.
So, I would like to see it on.
10. Message of the day (motd).
It is very important to remind players of BR server to use "force model" option because of some issues with "red-cross".
And optional thing to do is to add to MotD something like: "We're all friends here, so you haven't to type sorry in case of accidental TK, try to concentrate on avoiding the "sorry" situations instead and complete the task for you&teammate if you killed someone accidentally".

That is all what I've figured out (or have remebered) for now. I'll extend the list if I'll remeber something. Feel free to do so too.
I planned to add all server variables for each point.. but I just don't remeber them, since I don't use them recently :) So, if anyone remeber - please write them here :)

And few more overal words on that topic.
All what is written above is only a vision of public BR server. On server which I would like to play.
I can do my own server at home and be happy to have you as my guests.. but my connection is really sucks for it (it sucks even to play). I can allow only 3-4 players maximum without server's lag and your ping will be probably very high :(

And one more - discuss please only current official release (which is 1.0) and only it's abilities. Any improvements to code/maps should be discussed in some other topics. I understand that we may have a whole new game, but now we have this cool one. And we may do it better even without a single line of code :) At least I hope so :)

The topic is open - everyone is welcomed to say something! Let's go :)

P.S. Thank you for your attention ;)
Last edited by Lucky Bro on Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:59 am, edited 5 times in total.
"You should know that the lies won't hide your flaws/No sense in hiding all of yours/You gave up on your dreams along the way" (c) "Fake it" by Seether
P.S. English isn't my native language.
Lucky Bro
Gunslinger

Postby TanteTrude » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:52 am

Hi Lucky Bro!
I think this is an important topic. I try to make it short :D :
Jeux (and sometimes Cops n Robbers) is the only server where you
can play good BR-matches. So the first waiting time is to join the server
to prime time. Next there are the waiting times during the rounds. There
are many factors which influence the entertainment of a game. How many players, WHICH KIND of players ("campers", kamikaze-fighters :-) etc), which map (some maps are too big for 4:4 ). I think a kind of "second Jeux" (with 4:4 and 5:5) would be great.
Another point: chatting during game. Its often funny and entertaining but we should make a new rule: Forget about saying sorry if you hurt a team-member. Its good-style but very bothersome. I think most people on jeux only kill or hurt team-members by accident, so saying sorry everytime should be not neccesarry (btw everybody knows the "red-cross" is buggy (slow) in sg).
Another point: Is there a possibility to run a SG-Server with Punkbuster or another Anti-Cheat-Tool? There are not so many Hackers out there in SG-Land, but they exist! I know there exist Wallhacks for SG and maybe Aimbots and i know a player who uses it! I am very cautious in such recriminations, but this case is clear and i think its a good idea to think about that issue as soon as possible.
(now THATS bad english - i wrote this in a train full of screaming school-kids... :D )
cya
Tante Trude
(btw: I never played any multiplayer-game before SG (and my last FPS was Duke Nukem 3D :lol: ) so what i wrote here, can be complete nonsense - in this case - please all readers excuse me)
TanteTrude
Drifter

Postby Lucky Bro » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:02 am

Good day to you Tante :)
Actually, this is pretty lonenly topic, so I'm glad someone has interes in it :)
TanteTrude wrote:Jeux (and sometimes Cops n Robbers) is the only server where you
can play good BR-matches. So the first waiting time is to join the server
to prime time. Next there are the waiting times during the rounds. There
are many factors which influence the entertainment of a game. How many players, WHICH KIND of players ("campers", kamikaze-fighters :-) etc), which map (some maps are too big for 4:4 ). I think a kind of "second Jeux" (with 4:4 and 5:5) would be great.

Agree. Hope someome of Polland/German admins someday will read this and make a good one too.
About 5:5 as an option.. Ok, agree. Added to main post.
TanteTrude wrote:Another point: chatting during game. Its often funny and entertaining but we should make a new rule: Forget about saying sorry if you hurt a team-member. Its good-style but very bothersome. I think most people on jeux only kill or hurt team-members by accident, so saying sorry everytime should be not neccesarry (btw everybody knows the "red-cross" is buggy (slow) in sg).

I feel the same. Usually I don't type "sorry/sry" if I've hit someone who knows me. But with unknown to me players I have to :)
I've added point 10 to points list.. Hope that is some solution.
About red-cross.. I think it is bug in hitboxes (there are two types of them - one for red-cross and the second to actual hit zones) instead of UI bug.. But I didn't finish check of it, so I don't know exactly. Anyway, that is all what we have now. Actually, we may add a note to SG guide (or to beginners topic) like - "Turn on your force models if you're playing BR game!".
TanteTrude wrote:Another point: Is there a possibility to run a SG-Server with Punkbuster or another Anti-Cheat-Tool? There are not so many Hackers out there in SG-Land, but they exist! I know there exist Wallhacks for SG and maybe Aimbots and i know a player who uses it! I am very cautious in such recriminations, but this case is clear and i think its a good idea to think about that issue as soon as possible.

Sorry, but no. With current 1.0 it is not possible. Except one good point - good-constant-playing-on-current-server-admin (may be not one, but at least one at hot time). Admin has the IP ban list and good working kick system by player ID. And that way the vote system is not required at all.
TanteTrude wrote:(now THATS bad english - i wrote this in a train full of screaming school-kids... :D )
cya
Tante Trude
(btw: I never played any multiplayer-game before SG (and my last FPS was Duke Nukem 3D :lol: ) so what i wrote here, can be complete nonsense - in this case - please all readers excuse me)

Yeah, I can hardly express myself with English too.. But that is the only possibility to me in SG :) Hope players forgive me too :)
Well, SG is my first non-LAN game too :) I don't remeber last FPS, but I remeber Wolfenstein as first :) And talking about Duke, yeah, hope someday will be the day "When it is done" (c) ;)
"You should know that the lies won't hide your flaws/No sense in hiding all of yours/You gave up on your dreams along the way" (c) "Fake it" by Seether
Lucky Bro
Gunslinger

Postby dowoshek » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:27 pm

Hej amigos :)
Speaking about reducing number of players on servers, i think it'd not be a good idea to make 4vs4 or even 5vs5 as STANDARD. Actually, i usually have much more fun playing when server is full 8vs8. Of course the key-word in here is 'choice' - so any other server with limited number of slots is always welcome :)
OTOH, don't know if you noticed that even if the jeuxlinux is full... other BR-servers used to be empty... that's a kind of mystery :wink:

Actually, what i miss is even more great battles between numerous bunches of revolvers - so we could have a good old battle with hiding behind rocks and boxes like in western-films :roll: Yeah, i know it'd be boring for a longer time, but few maps designed for that could give much messy fun without sneaking on toes ;)
dowoshek
Gunslinger

Postby Lucky Bro » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:49 pm

dowoshek wrote:Hej amigos :)
Speaking about reducing number of players on servers, i think it'd not be a good idea to make 4vs4 or even 5vs5 as STANDARD. Actually, i usually have much more fun playing when server is full 8vs8. Of course the key-word in here is 'choice' - so any other server with limited number of slots is always welcome :)
OTOH, don't know if you noticed that even if the jeuxlinux is full... other BR-servers used to be empty... that's a kind of mystery :wink:

Hello dowoshek,
I don't mean to declare any standards :) That is just the way I was able to write my propositions about BR options (yeah, my poor English :)) :)
I mentioned two reasons why 4:4 or 5:5 would be better than 8:8 or more.
3:3 is really good too, btw. But since we talk about public server, we should discuss emm.. the "public" options :)
4:4 or 2:2 is some of standard for team-based games. If you want a tourney, usually you would do it 4:4 or 2:2.. It is very rare to do it as 8:8. So that is another reason. To make you get used to the system and make later tourneys be habitual (hope that is right word) to players. But that is not too convincing argument, so I didn't write it above.
Another one is teamplay which is still absent on any public server. 8v8 teamplay without a teamleader (an observer or whatever it could be) is impossible. When there only 4 players - you could even do some say binds to emulate some teamplay.. But that is not only because of maximum players number, so it is not obvious argument and I didn't include that one too.
The only choice I know is "choice" when you are looking through the server list in UI. And that choice is really poor when you want to play (or to train) BR only.
Jeux has constant BR maps and mode in server maps list. And Freindly fire is ON. Plus the server has its own different site, statistics and so on. I know at least one player who really cares about his stats on it (not me :)). I think those things are much more important for most players on Jeux than maximum players.
I got that you like 16 players online.. Actually, it will be better if you'll give me some reasons why it should be 16 on public BR servers.. Or something like that. That way I would change the point above to yours if it will be convincing.
dowoshek wrote:Actually, what I miss is even more great battles between numerous bunches of revolvers - so we could have a good old battle with hiding behind rocks and boxes like in western-films :roll: Yeah, i know it'd be boring for a longer time, but few maps designed for that could give much messy fun without sneaking on toes ;)

Humm.. May be I got you wrong, but you are not talking about BR.
I can share with you an experince which I had while I was trying to make some of my freinds get into the game.
So, we had the TDM (TeamDeathMatch, not round teamplay) mode. We negotiate to have two places on map as our bases (TDM uses the same as DM(DeathMatch) random spawn points, so there is no other way, only to make an agreement about fake bases). And that way each of us were playing non-stop (mean you die -> you respawn) and we had a little hot battlefield all the time. The best picture I remeber was on Alamo in the market. Very nice :) But still because of randomness of spawn points it is not so cool as it might be.
We could do it online if you'll find more people who can understand it :) But I think it is pretty hard thing to do :) I can get only my brother, since I didn't get my friends into game (most of them like OSP/CPMA Q3 and don't have much of free time).. :) And please not in this topic! :)

Thank you for sharing your point of view!
Lucky Bro
Gunslinger

Postby mLy! » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:32 pm

haven't read the whole topic, but a server with player limit of 8 or 10 would be a great alternative for the 14/16 slot jeuxlinux.

Rounds would be much faster.

Another positive side is that it is similar to how we play clan matches at the moment, so players could get used to the different gamestyle :)
My Latest fragmovies:
Winning BB cup
mLy!
Gunslinger

Postby dowoshek » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:22 pm

Lucky Bro, about point #1 - i think the only thing we can do is to run own 4vs4 server or simply wait for sb who could do it and who read this topic :wink: As this is just a matter of choice and preferency for a kind of teamplay. I don't like ->too much<- of crawling around and usually find enough fun in running around with shotgun ;)
BTW, i visited jeuxlinux.fr website and the only thing i could find was a list of currently playing guys - are the statistics that you mentioned available for Smokin Guns?

Lucky Bro wrote:
dowoshek wrote:Actually, what I miss is even more great battles between numerous bunches of revolvers - so we could have a good old battle with hiding behind rocks and boxes like in western-films :roll: Yeah, i know it'd be boring for a longer time, but few maps designed for that could give much messy fun without sneaking on toes ;)

Humm.. May be I got you wrong, but you are not talking about BR.
I can share with you an experince which I had while I was trying to make some of my freinds get into the game.
So, we had the TDM (TeamDeathMatch, not round teamplay) mode. We negotiate to have two places on map as our bases (TDM uses the same as DM(DeathMatch) random spawn points, so there is no other way, only to make an agreement about fake bases). And that way each of us were playing non-stop (mean you die -> you respawn) and we had a little hot battlefield all the time. The best picture I remeber was on Alamo in the market. Very nice :) But still because of randomness of spawn points it is not so cool as it might be.
We could do it online if you'll find more people who can understand it :) But I think it is pretty hard thing to do :) I can get only my brother, since I didn't get my friends into game (most of them like OSP/CPMA Q3 and don't have much of free time).. :) And please not in this topic! :)

Thank you for sharing your point of view!

Actually, i was thinking rather about BR. But i think it could be achieved only on maps with one bank and limited/simplified paths to it. On a typical BR map there're at least 4 paths so usually teams are splited into very small groups. Of course, one bank and very few paths would lead to: "if you want to win/rob you have to kill all the opponents" - but hey, can't it be this way sometimes? This is wild west! :evil:

Ad #8, dead talk.
IMHO dead talk is as natural as teamspeaking to your mate on the opposite corner of the map. Wild west and walkie-talkie? :P
Of course we can't and don't want to forbid team talks so, i think, we should also allow dead talking (also to teammates only) but with disabled flying mode. So dead guys could see only things their still alive teammates could.

Ad #10, sorry, sorry, ...
I don't share your opinion guys. I always say "sorry" and welcome hearing "sorry" from my mate. I also always like hearing simple "hi guys" from ppl joing the game. Sometimes these're the only moments we can feel that we don't play with bots but human :wink: And, damn! if you have to say "sorry" so often that you are tired then there must be something wrong with the way you play, you should change it, be more careful, because your teammates pay the bills for your too fast trigger! If that's so painful to write "sorry" just bind it to one of keys.

Cheers
Bestia
dowoshek
Gunslinger

Postby Lucky Bro » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:09 pm

Nice to see you here, Bestia :)
I remeber one or two maps with ya :) ..of three or four we had played. ggs :)
dowoshek wrote:Lucky Bro, about point #1 - i think the only thing we can do is to run own 4vs4 server or simply wait for sb who could do it and who read this topic :wink: As this is just a matter of choice and preferency for a kind of teamplay. I don't like ->too much<- of crawling around and usually find enough fun in running around with shotgun ;)

About my server I already said - I won't do it :) My connection is sucks for that (yeah, I hate my provider for that and love 'em for a possibility to play at least.. previous was sucks at all).
About gameplay style - I just can't wait. And I don't use shotgun now.. I used it only two or three weeks I've started to play game. After that I've known very well what is ping value about in Q3 online game (your shot won't be counted by server with all other circumstances equal) :)
So, schofield or colt is my choice.
dowoshek wrote:BTW, i visited jeuxlinux.fr website and the only thing i could find was a list of currently playing guys - are the statistics that you mentioned available for Smokin Guns?

I meant not Jeux by itself about stats. Some sites like that one or that one.. I haven't remebered others. But you got the idea.
dowoshek wrote:Actually, i was thinking rather about BR. But i think it could be achieved only on maps with one bank and limited/simplified paths to it. On a typical BR map there're at least 4 paths so usually teams are splited into very small groups. Of course, one bank and very few paths would lead to: "if you want to win/rob you have to kill all the opponents" - but hey, can't it be this way sometimes? This is wild west! :evil:

Ah that kind.. May be.. Can't say anything meaningful or how it might be possible with current SG code&content :) I like Durango&Mexico and the way how looks El Paso (but it completely unplayable with some players).
dowoshek wrote:Ad #8, dead talk.
IMHO dead talk is as natural as teamspeaking to your mate on the opposite corner of the map. Wild west and walkie-talkie? :P
Of course we can't and don't want to forbid team talks so, i think, we should also allow dead talking (also to teammates only) but with disabled flying mode. So dead guys could see only things their still alive teammates could.

:) Why does only with teamates? What so special you may said to opposite team that may lead to your fault? :) A helpful information? Then it will be fair to opponent to know what you've said. Especially when you're dead. Dead shouldn't help at all if you want to play fair.. But since we already met (not me) era of teamspeak - let at least chat be free from that (hidden help). Many players usually use dead talk only to chit-chat with other deads or to say something to everyone (like "gg. bb"). Or to ask/explain about current vote (if there are any).
And free fly.. What about movies? Teamspeak makes free fly very helpful.. but without free fly you can't just see and enjoy whole battlefield (and that is really fun sometimes).
But ok, I admit that this point is really doubtful. I'll add the yellow question mark to that point. May be someone else will say something about that too.
dowoshek wrote:Ad #10, sorry, sorry, ...
I don't share your opinion guys. I always say "sorry" and welcome hearing "sorry" from my mate. I also always like hearing simple "hi guys" from ppl joing the game. Sometimes these're the only moments we can feel that we don't play with bots but human :wink: And, damn! if you have to say "sorry" so often that you are tired then there must be something wrong with the way you play, you should change it, be more careful, because your teammates pay the bills for your too fast trigger! If that's so painful to write "sorry" just bind it to one of keys.

May be each "sorry" isn't so famous moment? I mean the following: if the player who just TKed you didn't say "sorry" to you - what you will do? Call a vote to kick him? Or forgive him and many times later you will just laught both about that (if you'll be able to remember that thing).
I think you'll forgive him, because you saw that he didn't do that on purpose. Accident. No problem.
What I mean - you are welcome to say "sorry", but you don't have to. No one will kick you if you don't because server has that nice MotD.
You are concentrated all the time on the process. I've died few times because if that my "nice" sorry behavior.. Yeah, the killed guy was happy, but I lost my concentration and we lost a point. So, that thing is not necessary. In case of insulting TKs - you'll just say about it to everyone. Independent of "sorry" of that TKiller.
All other chat things will never change. All those "hi" and others depend only on you :)
What do you think about it? Let it be so? :)

Thank you for replies! Very helpful.
Lucky Bro
Gunslinger

Postby Kouma » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:23 am

I've found Rawhide very empty recently days... The "official", "good" BR servers are JeuxLinux and Cops and Robbers, both with high ping for a lot of people, including myself, so that makes BR mode very difficult for these people.

Rawhide and Los Bandidos are DM servers. Since LB has a player slot of 20, and is a DM server... and they are the servers with the lowest ping on my list...

My point is: Rawhide should be made the first BR server with those suggestions above. A server where we can rob money and kill people. A server for lagged bastards. (Now I really liked that line) :)
I am Kouma and this is my shotgun. Togheter, we blow your head clean off.
Kouma
Shootist

Postby Lucky Bro » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:47 am

Hey, Kouma :)
About RAWHIDE, yeah, that would be a nice thing. I'm not an admin anywhere, so that is not my server for sure.. But I think RAWHIDE is official SG server (one of where WQ3 was started).. So, that server is server of traditions.. But may be ReD or other admin there will allow BR only there :)
//Offtopic
Thank you for advice about movies to watch! I've watched about 15 western movies from our conversation back then! Include one you recommended :) Very cool. My brother have watched them too. We like westerns for sure :) What I especially love in some of old of them - they don't care much about characters (not main hero, but others) - they may show you some person a half of movie (and you will get used to him) and then suddenly just shot him :) Very nice. And some of movies are very long - 2 or 3 hours. Now I know that Clint and Wayne weren't the only ones in western movies :))
So, thank you ;) See ya someday in SG :)
Lucky Bro
Gunslinger

Postby dowoshek » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:18 am

Lucky Bro wrote:I meant not Jeux by itself about stats. Some sites like that one or that one.. I haven't remebered others. But you got the idea.

Thanks for the links - maybe some day i'll be freaky enough to care for and check it :wink: Dude, now i know why there're guys using wallhacks, aimhacks, etc. - they just have their aim, to be on top :D :roll:

Lucky Bro wrote::) Why does only with teamates? What so special you may said to opposite team that may lead to your fault? :) A helpful information? Then it will be fair to opponent to know what you've said. Especially when you're dead. Dead shouldn't help at all if you want to play fair..

Actually what i meant was: there should be no restrictions for chat of dead guys. They should have both options to chat with everybody or with teammates only. But "flying" mode should be disabled. And it could be occasionally enabled to record demo.

I really see no point in discussing the "sorry" issue :wink: It's your choice but in my opinion it's just a matter of in-game savoir-vivre :) This kind of servers are full of rudeness and we shouldn't at least support it in any way - it's always better to keep standards up than down... or we'll go lower, lower and lower :? As i said it's not so painful to write or bind "sorry" to a key and if it is... you should change your tactics because your teammates hurts too often because of you.
dowoshek
Gunslinger

Postby Lucky Bro » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:56 pm

dowoshek wrote:Actually what i meant was: there should be no restrictions for chat of dead guys. They should have both options to chat with everybody or with teammates only. But "flying" mode should be disabled. And it could be occasionally enabled to record demo.

About dead talk my point is the same - "on".
About free sprectate - I'll wait for more comments.. I got your point. And question mark is still there.
dowoshek wrote:I really see no point in discussing the "sorry" issue :wink: It's your choice but in my opinion it's just a matter of in-game savoir-vivre :) This kind of servers are full of rudeness and we shouldn't at least support it in any way - it's always better to keep standards up than down... or we'll go lower, lower and lower :? As i said it's not so painful to write or bind "sorry" to a key and if it is... you should change your tactics because your teammates hurts too often because of you.

Actually SG is not full of rudeness.. Most of players are adults. Swearing is really rare in SG. Only few young players do it in constant way :)
I've changed 10th point to optional about "sorry" case. So without this MotD - you'll have to say sorry when you TK, if you're so nice :)
I don't need a bind for "sorry". I will be searching for it longer than to write "sorry"/"sry".. Usually you may have 1 TK of 20/40 rounds of gameplay.. But if you'll distract from current process and get shot right after your TK while you were thinking about your "nice" behaviour - you'll pay the price of niceness as well as your team :)
It's optional, I agree.

See ya in game :)
Last edited by Lucky Bro on Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lucky Bro
Gunslinger

Postby Kouma » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:51 am

Lucky Bro wrote:Include one you recommended

Me? I recommend so many movies to so many people.. which one it was? The Great Silence, I guess... maybe this is a thing to discuss in other topic... lol
I am Kouma and this is my shotgun. Togheter, we blow your head clean off.
Kouma
Shootist

Re: Options for a public BR server

Postby Clink Eastward » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:54 pm

Lucky Bro wrote:1. Maximum of allowed players.
Should be 8 or 10. 4vs4 or 5:5. No more.

I disagree, there should be scope for 20 players on a server.

Lucky Bro wrote:2. The bots minimum number.
This should be 2.

Only if you can afford a dedicated server.

Lucky Bro wrote:4. Round time.
I think 2-3 minutes is fine.

Maybe but there has to be scope for longer round time, it opens up different ways to play a map. Larger maps with larger numbers of players would benefit from some real tactical play.

Lucky Bro wrote:7. Friendly fire is on.

Not always, it can be a good thing for an informal public server to not have FF enabled. It suits the new players and stops the moaners, moaning.

Lucky Bro wrote:8. Dead talk.

?9. Free spectate mode.

There should always be an option for serious play and informal games.

You should always be as flexible as possible the issues with official maps only are easily solved by having official map only servers indicated as such in the SG web browser or advertised by server name. Some will run custom maps others will not.
"But if you miss you had better miss very well. Whoever double-crosses me and leaves me alive, he understands nothing about Tuco"
Clink Eastward
Shootist

Re: Options for a public BR server [Closing]

Postby Lucky Bro » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:54 am

Clink Eastward wrote:I disagree, there should be scope for 20 players on a server.

Well.. I suppose that you disagree because you think that 20 players will do a lot more fun since you think of great battles with 10 peoples from each side.
But as I can see it on Jeux where is already 16 players - it is not.
Let examine the casual new player who came to SG. We won't talk about you or me since you'll be playing anyway if I got you right and I'll just quit such game as took a look to players names. I don't need to go far to find real example since I have a new player for my team to participate the national tourney under SG.wars.
So, instead of actual playing most of the time he is watching. It is ok if he want just to learn the maps and see some tricks. But. He doesn't play. He plays 1/4 of all map time. Which is in worst case = 30/4 = 7,5 minutes and other 22,5 minutes he is watching others play.. And what is worse - about 2/3 of that watching time he is watching how one player tries to get camper or two campers compete in their camping abilities.
But he needs to play. That is why he came to SG. To try to play. To try to compete. And not to watch. And to be able to compete other teams in the tourney he have to play a lot. I think even he is at school (I suppose he is) he can't allow himself to have 4 free hours only to SG to have 1 hour of real playing time.
You may say that he needs to learn how to act on maps. I will refuse that the only possible strategy for him then will be a camping one. Since he is new for FPS games. He needs to play. To move mice non-stoppable.
You may say that he needs to do more practice offline.. But where is any fun?
And that if we just talk about fun and play.
Other aspect is server's bandwidth. Not many servers can allow themselves to have 20 players online since it is - 1,28Mbps up speed for server is required (check this table - 8000 is chosen a server sv_maxrate).
And other two aspects which we already had discussed here - to have other servers full and to train for tourneys as well.

You know, I know some games where 20 players are cool choice. But current 1.0 SG is not that type.
I think every game where players number is more than 10 are not about one-life for round (yes it is about spawn time - you don't have to wait more than 20 seconds). Or it should be really small map. Otherwise you'll get yourself a waiter job which is not fun. At least as I see it.

Anyway, maybe I got your reasons wrong since you didn't point even one. So, it is just my opinion and nothing more.

Clink Eastward wrote:Only if you can afford a dedicated server.

We are discussing here a public BR server options.. I think you have to have dedicated server if you want it to be public.
Public is about a very known server you'll go to have fun.

Clink Eastward about round time wrote:Maybe but there has to be scope for longer round time, it opens up different ways to play a map. Larger maps with larger numbers of players would benefit from some real tactical play.

It opens a new campers among us.
And you'll have to wait more when you died. So you will have to act like camper. Otherwise you'll just watch others play. And I think then even best of us will join campers community. Or just quit such servers.
What larger maps do you mean? El Paso? Have you seen games on El Paso? We already have to figure out something to make game more "moving" type.
Waiting tactic is not a big deal. No other tactics you'll get with longer rounds.
If it is about to flank opponents - then it is map issues and not time.

Clink Eastward about FF wrote:Not always, it can be a good thing for an informal public server to not have FF enabled. It suits the new players and stops the moaners, moaning.

I don't play servers with FF off. To me it is big part of fun. Tourneys are going with FF on too.
I like cases when some new player accidentally shots me. He feel response for team. As well as I do.
Moaners will always be. Whatever option you'll do for them.

Clink Eastward about dead talk and flying specs wrote:There should always be an option for serious play and informal games.

Give me at least chance to watch the game free and have chit-chat when my player was killed.
Team Speak is on already.

Clink Eastward wrote:You should always be as flexible as possible the issues with official maps only are easily solved by having official map only servers indicated as such in the SG web browser or advertised by server name. Some will run custom maps others will not.

I just proposed good BR options for a public BR server. We talk about official 1.0 SG release in this topic only. I don't care about any "what if"s here.

Anyway, thank you for reply! I'm glad that not only me cares about servers what he sees in his game browser.

But the topic seems to be redundant one for me. In other words I think it is just useless topic since we just wasting our time here. Even watching others is more fun that this.
I came to opinion that in all possibilities every admin just want to have his/her own server with his/her current preferably configuration. That is a real fun to mess up with servers configs :) I would like to do some one day to. Maybe if I'll find more than one player to be close enough to me I'll set up my own server :)
So, I declare the topic as closed :) Moderators, feel free to remove it - I don't need it anymore :)

Everyone thank you for replies and opinions! Was though :)
Have a nice day!

P.S. Kouma, it was Companeros ;)
Lucky Bro
Gunslinger

Return to Telegraph Station

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel