With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Game server information & questions.

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor

Postby Lucky Bro » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:32 pm

Good day Sucalakafufu,
No good news about a possibility to run an internet server with no direct access to internet - I still can't run it. But maybe I'm just doing something wrong :)

Also I found a nice guides about Quake 3 server setting up here.
For example there are written nice answers about two misconceptions we usually have. Check the spoiler if you're interested.
Some common server related misconceptions
If the server is running sv_pure 1, I will be kicked out, and sv_pure only allows "id" approved pak files. This is not true. Running sv_pure 1 protects you, the gamers, from hacked pack files and cheats that are capable via pack files. The sv_pure option works like this: if it's turned off, any pak file is visible that the client has; with sv_pure 1, however, only the pak files located on the game server are allowed on that particular server, so if you want your favorite hud replacement available to you in game see if the admin will load it to his baseq3 directory! Also, since the point release you no longer will get kicked back to the main menu if you have other pak files; that was a bug in the code that id fixed. (side note: Please be aware, if you're an admin, that you need to verify that the pack file is legit, and not a pak file that may have a cheat in it.) All servers must run cg_syncrounousclients 1 so I can record a demo! This is untrue as well. Actually if the server is running cg_syncronousclients 1, it may actually hamper clients' playability -- they may experience packet loss, lag or even connectivity problems. Recording a demo is all controlled client side, not server side as once thought. To record client side, the clients simply type /g_syncronousclients 1, /record demoname, /Recordstop all within the console.

And I'm looking forward to 1.1. Seems we have to update default server configuration file. And even more - to create a few basic ones - for DM, TDM, RTP, BR and DUEL modes.
And I hope that all admins will particiepiate in that.

Have a good day!

P.S. I wonder if that article will help us to solve your trouble with server set up. It sounds very nice on the inside! But actually I'm not much of a pro in such networking under windows. I'm currently just using a built-in windows network sharing (ICS (Internet connection sharing)) on my local server.. I'll take a closer look within a few days.
Last edited by Lucky Bro on Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You should know that the lies won't hide your flaws/No sense in hiding all of yours/You gave up on your dreams along the way" (c) "Fake it" by Seether
P.S. English isn't my native language.
Lucky Bro
Gunslinger

Postby Sucalakafufu » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:46 am

thx for the info Lucky Bro
SG Name: Sucalakafufu
Clan: [CWNN] - Clan With No Name
Sucalakafufu
Gunslinger

Postby Sucalakafufu » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:48 pm

Heres an update on whats happening on my comp. if anyone could help me get through the last stages i would greatly appreciate it :)

so basically i got my router to forward port 27960 and made sure it was being forwarded by following an example on http://portforward.com
my firewall is COMODO and i have set it up to allow UDP traffic from smokinguns in and out

to start up my server i use:
START smokinguns.exe +set dedicated 2 +set net_ip 192.168.1.100 +set net_port 27960 +exec server.cfg

it works and i get the console output in the spoiler:
Code: Select all
SG 1.0 win-x86 Dec 29 2008
----- FS_Startup -----
pak0 has checksum 2206249363
alamo1 has checksum 3611996451
joekarimat1 has checksum 891991440
sg_maps0 has checksum 3111238755
sg_pak0 has checksum 2450671269
sg_sounds has checksum 1404357192
sg_textures0 has checksum 3110057026
Current search path:
C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns\smokinguns\sg_textures0.pk3 (1018 files)
C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns\smokinguns\sg_sounds.pk3 (278 files)
C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns\smokinguns\sg_pak0.pk3 (803 files)
C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns\smokinguns\sg_maps0.pk3 (161 files)
C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns\smokinguns\joekarimat1.pk3 (178 files)
C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns\smokinguns\alamo1.pk3 (14 files)
C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns/smokinguns
C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns\baseq3\pak0.pk3 (107 files)
C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns/baseq3

----------------------
2559 files in pk3 files
execing default.cfg
execing q3config.cfg
execing autoexec.cfg
Hunk_Clear: reset the hunk ok
...detecting CPU, found AMD w/ 3DNow!

------- Input Initialization -------
No window for DirectInput mouse init, delaying
Joystick is not active.
------------------------------------
--- Common Initialization Complete ---
Winsock Initialized
Opening IP socket: 192.168.1.100:27960
Hostname: Sucalakafufu
IP: 192.168.1.100
IP: 5.19.52.77
IP: 192.168.0.1
IP: 192.168.218.1
Working directory: C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns
execing server.cfg
------ Server Initialization ------
Server: dm_dry
Hunk_Clear: reset the hunk ok
----- FS_Startup -----
pak0 has checksum 2206249363
alamo1 has checksum 3611996451
joekarimat1 has checksum 891991440
sg_maps0 has checksum 3111238755
sg_pak0 has checksum 2450671269
sg_sounds has checksum 1404357192
sg_textures0 has checksum 3110057026
Current search path:
C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns\smokinguns\sg_textures0.pk3 (1018 files)
C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns\smokinguns\sg_sounds.pk3 (278 files)
C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns\smokinguns\sg_pak0.pk3 (803 files)
C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns\smokinguns\sg_maps0.pk3 (161 files)
C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns\smokinguns\joekarimat1.pk3 (178 files)
C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns\smokinguns\alamo1.pk3 (14 files)
C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns/smokinguns
C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns\baseq3\pak0.pk3 (107 files)
C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns/baseq3

----------------------
5118 files in pk3 files
Loading vm file vm/qagame.qvm.
VM file qagame compiled to 1607212 bytes of code
qagame loaded in 4532960 bytes on the hunk
------- Game Initialization -------
gamename: smokinguns
gamedate: Dec 29 2008
Swap_Init: byte order functions set on little endian QVM
Server: Loading tex-file... maps/dm_dry.tex
AiNode-File: maps/dm_dry.ai:
37 nodes parsed
------------------------------------------------------------
InitGame: \g_deathcam\0\g_splitChat\0\g_chaseonly\0\g_roundtime\0\du_forcetrio\0\du_enabletrio\0\scorelimit\10\duellimit\5\g_specsareflies\1\g_blueteamname\Lawmen\g_redteamname\Outlaws\sv_hostname\FU Server TEST\sv_maxRate\8000\sv_minPing\0\sv_maxPing\0\sv_floodProtect\1\dmflags\0\fraglimit\30\timelimit\0\sv_maxclients\12\g_maxGameClients\0\g_allowVote\1\g_gametype\0\g_allowVoteKick\1\g_delagHitscan\1\version\SG 1.0 win-x86 Dec 29 2008\protocol\68\mapname\dm_dry\sv_privateClients\0\sv_allowDownload\0\Admin\Sucalakafufu\Email\sucalakafufu@hotmail.com\g_motd\OWNAGE!\sv_Location\Hawaii\MOD_URL\forum.smokin-guns.org\IRC\#smokinguns @ irc.freenode.net\gamename\smokinguns\g_needpass\0\g_unlaggedVersion\2.0\g_redteamcount\0\g_blueteamcount\0\g_redteamscore\0\g_blueteamscore\0\sg_version\1.0 20081229
0 teams with 0 entities
17 items registered
-----------------------------------
------- BotLib Initialization -------
loaded weapons.c
loaded items.c
loaded syn.c
loaded rnd.c
loaded match.c
loaded rchat.c
------------ Map Loading ------------
trying to load maps/dm_dry.aas
loaded maps/dm_dry.aas
found 0 level items
-------------------------------------
8 bots parsed
file not found: scripts/arenas.txt
0 arenas parsed
server time 0 , map time 0
AAS initialized.
-----------------------------------
Hitch warning: 86139416 msec frame time
Resolving master.quake3arena.com
master.quake3arena.com resolved to 192.246.40.56:27950
Sending heartbeat to master.quake3arena.com
Resolving master0.gamespy.com
master0.gamespy.com resolved to 207.38.11.174:27950
Sending heartbeat to master0.gamespy.com
Hitch warning: 6437 msec frame time
loaded skill 5 from bots/default_c.c
loaded skill 5 from bots/male1_c.c
loaded bots/male1_i.c
loaded bots/male1_w.c
loaded Clint from bots/male1_t.c
ClientConnect: 0
ClientUserinfoChanged: 0 n\ManWithNoName\t\0\model\wq_male1/red\hc\100\w\0\l\0\skill\5.000000\tt\0\tl\0
broadcast: print "ManWithNoName connected\n"
broadcast: print "ManWithNoName entered the game\n"
ClientBegin: 0
Item: 0 weapon_schofield bought ($18/$20)

after all of this my server is up. the only problem is that if i start a new smokinguns.exe on the same computer the server is on, my server shows up in the LOCAL area. at the same time, i am able to add my router IP to Monster Browser and see my server from there just as if it were public.

However, i asked Lucky Bro and Conq to try to connect to my server via IP and they couldn't. if anyone knows what is going wrong or if i just need to wait and let it send more packets to the masterquake server then it would be nice to know ;) thanks for anyone's help in advance! :D
Sucalakafufu
Gunslinger

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:04 pm

Sucalakafufu wrote:the only problem is that if i start a new smokinguns.exe on the same computer the server is on, my server shows up in the LOCAL area. at the same time, i am able to add my router IP to Monster Browser and see my server from there just as if it were public.

That much is normal. The engine sees & reports your server as local because, for you, it is. You wouldn't want to connect to your own local server by going through the internet anyway. I've run servers from my spare pc before & this is the way it is.
If nobody can connect from outside of your LAN then your router or firewall need more investigating. Probably the firewall imo.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Sucalakafufu » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:50 pm

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:
Sucalakafufu wrote:the only problem is that if i start a new smokinguns.exe on the same computer the server is on, my server shows up in the LOCAL area. at the same time, i am able to add my router IP to Monster Browser and see my server from there just as if it were public.

That much is normal. The engine sees & reports your server as local because, for you, it is. You wouldn't want to connect to your own local server by going through the internet anyway. I've run servers from my spare pc before & this is the way it is.
If nobody can connect from outside of your LAN then your router or firewall need more investigating. Probably the firewall imo.

i was thinking that it would appear as LAN from that PC or within my router anyway. thanks for verifying Red :) ok well i created a few more rules in my firewall that should allow people to connect. and i tested if the port is being forwarded and it supposedly is being forwarded. so ill have a few people test it out again :) thx for the quick response Red :D

EDIT: my friend El Ejcovero was able to connect to my Test Server today :D yay! so once i get to school again I'll try to set up a Dedicated :]
Sucalakafufu
Gunslinger

Postby Rct. Tsoul » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:39 am

You need some advanced router setup in something of the following....

You will need the schools routers internet ip address, hopefully it is static ( It does not change )
eg. 62.192.87.121

On the computer that the Smokin Guns dedicated server will be running on, you will need set that computer to pull the INTERNAL SAME IP ADDRESS everytime from the Router. ( Like a static IP on a LAN )
eg. 192.168.2.72

In the schools router you will need to configure it to redirect Smokin Guns connections to the internal IP address 192.168.2.72 ( the computer running the dedicated sever )

1. Smokin Guns will automatically try port 27960 ( you should use a different port for the reason that someone else might want to run a Q3 server and jack your shit up, try something simpler like port 2003, so then your server address will be 192.168.2.72:2003 )

2. So in your schools router config you make it redirect all incomming connections trying port 27960 or 2003 to the internal IP ADDRESS 192.168.2.72 ( the computer running the dedicated sever )

Now this is assuming that the schools firewall is the only firewall between the server and the internet, any firewall software or routers inbetween you will need to repeat the steps above for all of them, includeding windows firewall, basically if you are not the admin of that schools network, you should forget it, OR find out who is the admin and bribe him to set this all up for you and test it, $20 will not be enough so be generous if you want this to work.
Rct. Tsoul
Pistolero

Postby Sucalakafufu » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:00 am

@Rct. Tsoul: yah i know. haha

i have connections with those who do administrate our school's network. but we probably wont see an SG server directly from my school. i may be able to set one up through a server i set up outside of school OR one of the servers i administrate at school. still working on this. and yes there are more than firewall and no there is no chance of bribing. (besides i know the guys and if they could do it they would do it for me for free lol) anyways this thread is kinda old and if i set up a server it will most likely be on a server where i own everything
Sucalakafufu
Gunslinger

Previous

Return to Telegraph Station

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel