With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Game server information & questions.

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor

can't find/see any servers

Postby SolidFake » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:59 am

Hy there, I just found your game due to its mention at the moddb moty awards as a nominee and I have to say, a shame that this game has been hiding so long!
Anyways, let's get back to business:
I can't find or see any servers in the list.
I press the get new server list button, there stands that it gets information about 195 servers, when it's finished I refresh the list, nothing happens.
Yes, for sure I tried it with internet, without firewall, and at the multiplayer-internet option.

Any ideas?
SolidFake
Drifter

Postby SmokeyBacon » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:26 am

I don't know why it wouldn't be working, try downloading Monster Browser and use that to find servers.
SmokeyBacon
Shootist

Postby dowoshek » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:58 am

I also often get information about refreshing few or even "-1" servers. If that happens - I press ESC and push "Get servers" on more time. The correct number should be more than 2000 servers.
dowoshek
Gunslinger

Postby SolidFake » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:35 pm

now that you say it, I really get -1 for a short time before it switches to 195
I tried the method you described, but it didn't work, I ever get the -1 at beginning when get a new list

oh, and yea, with monsterbrowser it works, but I would like to use the ingame browser more tbh
SolidFake
Drifter

Postby Twig » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:29 pm

I used to have a similar problem. The in-game server list didn't show all of the servers. Don't really know why but after i started using monsterbrowser and connected to the servers they would also be displayed on the in-game server list.

I think monsterbrowser makes connecting much easier. I can see who is playing and so forth. Easy to get used to.
SG name: mS//Twig
Twig
Pistolero

Postby SolidFake » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:15 pm

ye, monsterbrowser is okay
but it is still an annoying bug which should be erased, as I'm sure that not everybody knows about monsterbrowser or searches in the internet and forums when he doesn't find any servers
SolidFake
Drifter

Postby Sucalakafufu » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:21 pm

monsterbrowser is in the SG Downloads section :) so it shouldnt be too hard for a new player to find

also, not finding servers could be internet related and maybe not SG related....
SG Name: Sucalakafufu
Clan: [CWNN] - Clan With No Name
Sucalakafufu
Gunslinger

Postby SolidFake » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:42 pm

I also don't think that it's internet related, as I'm able to play all of my other games...
SolidFake
Drifter

Postby Pardner » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:14 am

SolidFake wrote:but it is still an annoying bug which should be erased

True the Q3 browser has never been good, but MonsterBrowser has been our solution thus far. Unfortunately, not many of our users launch the game with the steam overlay.

I tried making a smokinguns shortcut through steam then having monsterbrowser launch smokinguns_steam.lnk, but it doesn't happen. hopefully torhu see this thread and help out. Here is what I added to my mods.ini:
Code: Select all
[Smokin' Guns (steam)]
mod=smokinguns
regKey=HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Smokin' Guns Productions\Smokin' Guns\InstallPath
;smokinguns2.lnk= "Steam.exe" -gameidlaunch 9952780135130202112
exeName=smokinguns2.lnk
exePath="C:\Game Files\Smokin' Guns\smokinguns2.lnk"

Pardner
SG Team

Postby SolidFake » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:35 pm

yeah, I already had that idea as well, but I didn't know how to do it

anyways, I'm now using monsterbrowser and steam, I just start the game with steam, tab out and start monsterbrowser, search an appropriate server and copy the address, tab back to smokin'guns and write in the console connect and press ctrl&v
works quite good so far, even if it isn't as smooth as connecting directly via monsterbrowser or the ingame server browser
SolidFake
Drifter

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:24 pm

A bit tedious initially, but one can always manually add the IP addresses to the "favorites" list of the ingame browser. Then simply click "refresh" from then on. Would be a good idea to check the list against MonsterBrowser once a week or so.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby /dev/random » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:07 pm

I never experienced any problems with the ingame serverbrowser in any q3 based game, so it must be your internet's fault :P
A bug like that is not easy to fix, when you don't know the actual problem behind it. Even more, MonsterBrower and others don't use another technique than the ingame browser.

Please note that servers with a ping higher than cl_maxPing will be omited.
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby SolidFake » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:26 am

/dev/random wrote:I never experienced any problems with the ingame serverbrowser in any q3 based game, so it must be your internet's fault :P
A bug like that is not easy to fix, when you don't know the actual problem behind it. Even more, MonsterBrower and others don't use another technique than the ingame browser.

Please note that servers with a ping higher than cl_maxPing will be omited.

But it can't be my internet's fault, because if it would be I would also not be able to see them with the monsterbrowser as well and as you said, that they use the same texhnique ;)
cl_maxping is at 800

@Red Neckerson:
tried to add one to the favourite list, but didn't get the server to show up in the list after either:/
SolidFake
Drifter

Postby torhu » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:39 am

Pardner wrote:I tried making a smokinguns shortcut through steam then having monsterbrowser launch smokinguns_steam.lnk, but it doesn't happen. hopefully torhu see this thread and help out. Here is what I added to my mods.ini:

Unfortunately, MB doesn't support adding your own command line arguments. And it can't run .lnk or .bat files either. Both issues should be easy to fix if needed, though.

Just copying the address from MB before starting the game is probably the simplest workaround. The ingame browser sucks anyway. ;)
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:25 am

torhu wrote:Unfortunately, MB doesn't support adding your own command line arguments. And it can't run .lnk or .bat files either. Both issues should be easy to fix if needed, though.

Adding extra commands was my first thought, that didn't work so I tried a shortcut. I feared "that wont work" was the answer ;)
So far SolidFake is the only one asking for Steam support. Might be nice to have that feature even though we have no affiliation with Steam thus far. (If anybody wants a Steam group, I'm all ears)

Pardner
SG Team

Next

Return to Telegraph Station

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel