With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Game server information & questions.

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor

Baller Bude help, Hi Doctor!

Postby Twig » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:51 am

Hi. First of all thanks ^Doctor^ for joining the sg.wars channel on irc to try and help me with my connecting issues. For those who don't know, i am being auto-kicked out of baller bude. I'm not entirely sure what why but Juaro was friendly enough to connect and ask Doctor in-game. I am being disconnected because of something to do with my IP.

Doctor tried his best to explain, but i have no idea what this is about. I have been able to connect to Baller Bude in the past. His advice was to ask you dev's what is up. Grelouk suggested that i reinstall SG. I have not yet done so but here i am writing this post. If you know what might be the problem and know how i could fix it, thank you!
Last edited by Twig on Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SG name: mS//Twig
Twig
Pistolero

Postby LuckyGenDago » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:59 am

thats all i can give
[IngameName] mS.Dago
TS Admin
LuckyGenDago
Gunslinger

Using Windows Vista, SG may fail to submit a GUID

Postby TheDoctor » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:44 am

Twig wrote:I am being disconnected because of something to do with my IP.

No. I wrote, your client does not submit an _ID_ (as in identity).

Your questions to this community now should be: When using Windows Vista, why does my client fail to produce a GUID? Has anybody else had this problem and found a way to resolve it?

My advice was: run SG as a user with administration privileges (= ensure the user running SG has write access to each SG related directory). It may be even sufficient to do this once. I cannot test this for you, as I don't have Windows Vista or Windows 7.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby /dev/random » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:01 am

The id is called GUID here and can be seen in a the read-only cvar cl_guid. (Edit: Removed technical details).

As far as I'm aware, >=Vista uses sort of virtualized write-access to the program folder which redirects to a user specific folder with the appropriate access. Thus this should always work. Are you using the beta client?

If the beta doesn't work either, try giving your user full access to the Smokin' Guns installation folder and/or try to launch the game in administrator mode. If both still don't work, we'll need to do some debugging.

I saw this problem once with old ioquake clients, where cl_guid wasn't even read-only. There was a setting in one of the client's .cfg which reset cl_guid all the time.

@Dago: Could you please use thumbnails? Your screenshot isn't helpful anyways :D
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Twig » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:30 pm

@TheDoctor, okay i somehow understood that my IP is not being recognized or something. That was what juaro passed on to me at first. Thanks for clearing it up.

Anyway problem is solved now. I tried running as administrator and giving full acces but it didn't do anything at first. I ended up reinstalling and then doing the same and now i am able to connect. No idea how the re installation would change anything but i'm not complaining.

Thanks for the fast replies and help. Baller Bude is a nice server and you admins there keep it that way. Would have been a shame if i couldn't connect!

edit: I am not running the beta client if that is of any interest to you any more.
SG name: mS//Twig
Twig
Pistolero

Postby moRtem » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:26 pm

/dev/random wrote:If the beta doesn't work either, try giving your user full access to the Smokin' Guns installation folder and/or try to launch the game in administrator mode. If both still don't work, we'll need to do some debugging.

In case your suspicion is true, moving SG to a different folder than C:\Program Files\ would also fix it (e.g. C:\Games\SmokinGuns\)

/quit
moRtem
Gunslinger

Postby @spi » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:37 pm

Thanks a lot Twig. Me and the Baller Bude team do our best to bring up the most popular SG Server around the world :wink:

regards

@spi
@spi
Pistolero

Return to Telegraph Station

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel