With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Game server information & questions.

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor

New Server?

Postby Mart Duggan » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:48 am

I am mulling over whether or not I should attempt to sponsor a new server.

I would prefer to play DM in a server run by SG players for SG players dedicated to the game, as opposed to a particular clan. I think Baller Bude is a good model for a U.S. based DM server. Rawhide is fine but primarily runs BR.

My knowledge of that part of computer technology is very limited, so that would be my biggest challenge. So far I have learned that servers can be rented, and you can have some choice over the location of your server. Beyond that I know almost nothing about such an endeavor, so it would be a learn as you go experience. Things like file tranfers, system configs and whatnot, are at the moment beyond my scope of experience! I am not (usually) an idiot - this is a generational thing. lol

When I select a company to rent server space, will they assist me in setting up the game? Will I be able to change or modify map rotations, voting rules, admin control etc.? I have already received some encouragement from a few players. I would hope that another server based in U.S. would be used by enough players to make it worthwhile. And I would like to know if anyone else thinks this is a good idea.
Mart Duggan
Gunslinger

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:42 am

Hmmmm. I have a proposition for you.
Please check your private messages.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby mLy! » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:50 pm

The easy way to get some experience in handeling a server and how it works is setting one up on your own computer.

Other players wont be able to play because of high ping but it will give you the opportunity to test how things work. (config/maprotation/rcon commands etc)
My Latest fragmovies:
Winning BB cup
mLy!
Gunslinger

Postby /dev/random » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:39 pm

Given your current experience with server administration, it would be best to rent a dedicated gameserver. I do not recommend renting a so called rootserver (nor vserver)!
With a gameserver, the company sets up the server, installs the game and only gives you access to the game relevant files and configs. This means less work and responsibility for you, while still having control.

You might search for companies which offers quake3 or games based on it.
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Return to Telegraph Station

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel