With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Game server information & questions.

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor

Need source code or make file?

Postby Rct. Tsoul » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:04 am

I am now renting a game server to run Smokin Guns and it runs like crap, laggy & choppy, for me to fix this problem, I will need source code for the dedicated server for linux or a make file for linux so that it can be recompiled specific to the server box, please post a link below.
Rct. Tsoul
Pistolero

Postby Pardner » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:58 am

Pardner
SG Team

Postby Rct. Tsoul » Sun May 15, 2011 11:14 am

I tried to compile so that I can get a bionary that will run with glibc 2.5 but this didnt work, the downloadable realeased 64bit bionary requires glibc 2.7 so I NEED to compile it myself or get a 2.5 version from someone else to run my dedicated server, when I tried to compile I got this:
Code: Select all
[smg@gserver src]$ make
==> Making SG [RELEASE] (engine and mod)
cd ./code && perl ./unix/cons -- vm noso
GCC version: gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-50) - x86_64-redhat-linux
which: no ccache in (/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/home/smg/bin)
cpu : x86
OS  : Linux
libc: 2.5
configured for release build
CFLAGS: -pipe -fsigned-char -DNDEBUG -O6 -m32 -mtune=pentiumpro -march=pentium -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math -falign-loops=2 -falign-jumps=2 -falign-functions=2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fstrength-reduce
gcc -pipe -fsigned-char -DNDEBUG -O6 -m32 -mtune=pentiumpro -march=pentium -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math -falign-loops=2 -falign-jumps=2 -falign-functions=2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fstrength-reduce -DUSE_OPENAL -DUSE_MUMBLE -DUSE_CODEC_VORBIS -I/usr/X11R6/include -c release-x86-Linux-2.5/core/client/game/q_shared.c -o release-x86-Linux-2.5/core/client/game/q_shared.o
In file included from /usr/include/features.h:352,
                 from /usr/include/assert.h:36,
                 from release-x86-Linux-2.5/core/client/game/q_shared.h:97,
                 from release-x86-Linux-2.5/core/client/game/q_shared.c:25:
/usr/include/gnu/stubs.h:7:27: error: gnu/stubs-32.h: No such file or directory
cons: *** [release-x86-Linux-2.5/core/client/game/q_shared.o] Error 1
cons: errors constructing release-x86-Linux-2.5/core/client/game/q_shared.o
make: *** [all] Error 2

It made the qvm's but not the bionaries, please help me with this or compile a 2.5 version of the dedicated server for me and post it for download.
Rct. Tsoul
Pistolero

Postby Pardner » Sun May 15, 2011 4:17 pm

Sucalakafufu posted a tutorial for compiling the engine with MSVS:
viewtopic.php?t=1842

I have no idea how you would go about compiling on Linux, but I am guessing it wouldnt be that much different. If you are on multiple platforms, try running through the tutorial for windows just to get the hang of it.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby /dev/random » Sun May 15, 2011 5:32 pm

Looks like the compiler tries to use 32 bit headers where it should use 64 bit ones.
I'd recommend using the ioquake3 based v1.1 code.
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Rct. Tsoul » Sun May 15, 2011 6:07 pm

Pardner wrote:I have no idea how you would go about compiling on Linux, but I am guessing it wouldnt be that much different. If you are on multiple platforms, try running through the tutorial for windows just to get the hang of it.

To Compile on Linux you just need to upload the source code in a .zip file to your headless server and unzip it, then switch to that directory and type:
make

If the source code or Makefile was not made with Linux in mind with different glibc versions then it wount work, also I seen in the source readme this:
COMPILING ON GNU/LINUX and OpenSolaris/Solaris
==================

A Makefile is available in the base source folder. Just run "make" to
start compiling. As Scons is still used for the compilation, you will
need the perl interpreter on your station.

perl interpreter
I am not a brain in Linux or programing, but if this is needed to compile on Linux then I know I dont have it, please tell me where to get it and how to install perl interpreter
Rct. Tsoul
Pistolero

Postby /dev/random » Sun May 15, 2011 7:13 pm

wget http://smokinguns.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/smokinguns/branches/1.1/?view=tar -O sg-code-v11.gz
tar xvf sg-code-v11.gz
cd 1.1/
BUILD_CLIENT=0 BUILD_GAME_QVM=0 make

Your result should be build/release-linux-x86_64/smokinguns_dedicated.x86_64

I have not followed all the latest code changes, so the v1.1 server *might* be incompatible with the v1.0 one.

Just out of interest; this server is not gonna be available to the public (internet), is it? Why don't you run a linux distribution which uses a more recent glibc?
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Rct. Tsoul » Mon May 16, 2011 2:18 am

Join Rct. Tsoul's Smokin Guns and tell me how it runs, lag or any problems, let me know so that I can allocate more memory.

WOW It compiled like a charm, no errors.
/dev/random wrote:Just out of interest; this server is not gonna be available to the public (internet), is it? Why don't you run a linux distribution which uses a more recent glibc?

Yes It DOES show up in the Smokinguns server browser, but you cant run a pure server eg:
set sv_pure "0"

I am running CentOS 5.6 witch is extreamly easy to use and secure stable version, I can upgrade the glibc but this will just jack up the disto and then might as well use a 2.7 distro such as Gentoo that has too many bugs and ways to access root that have still not been fixed, like you can install or rent a Gentoo server, you piss someone off, and the next thing you know you no longer have root access, unless you got the hacks to steal it back.
Rct. Tsoul
Pistolero

IP

Postby Bart202 » Mon May 16, 2011 9:11 pm

Hello,

When it's running, post the IP please.
Thanks.

I will test it. :wink:
Facebook-Group of Smokin' Players

My hand toolz are colt peacemakers !°
Bart202
Gunslinger

Postby /dev/random » Tue May 17, 2011 12:09 am

I don't quite get your argument about Gentoo being insecure. If you rent a server, its owner/hoster will always have a way to kick you out.
Security is indeed the reason why I asked whether the server is gonna be public. If you don't even know perl or make, I doubt you can really take care of running an full online server, given all the pitfalls you can run across.
And just FYI, there are other distros which use a more recent glibc, debian being only one of them. An so-called "old and tested" distro is not automagically "secure" by default either.

There is no reason why ioquake3 would not work with sv_pure 1, given that you use the correct pk3 data. Which exact error occurs when running a pure server?
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Rct. Tsoul » Tue May 17, 2011 6:02 am

/dev/random wrote:Which exact error occurs when running a pure server?

I got kicked off my own server and I got the same identical .pk3 files as my server, I cant remeber exactly what it said, but it was something like:
Server is Pure

Then I was kicked, if this is important to development I can recreate the problem and make the server pure again, and then you can see for yourself when you try to connect, let me know if you want to test this.

Server IP is:
69.172.231.46:37990
Rct. Tsoul
Pistolero

Postby /dev/random » Tue May 17, 2011 3:12 pm

I'm not one of the developers, but this problem sounds important.
Just drop a note when the server is running pure again, or post the entire output of SG (not just the last error) here.
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Pardner » Tue May 17, 2011 3:56 pm

try turning client downloads off:
/cl_allowdownloads 0

there has been problems with downloads and binary mis match, but I thought you would get a "could not download..." error.

You mentioned that you were compiling qvms as well. Make sure they didn't make it onto the server as well.
Pardner
SG Team

Return to Telegraph Station

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel