With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Game server information & questions.

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor

Postby a.k47 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:53 pm

dansh wrote:78.47.60.18:27980 Q3ALIVE.NET |SG| FFA
78.47.60.18:27981 Q3ALIVE.NET |SG| DUEL
78.47.60.18:27982 Q3ALIVE.NET |SG| BR

Thanks in advance.

was editet;)

regards
a.k47
in game: -=LWa.k47=-
admin on:
-Jeuxlinux
-smokin'guns.org BR
-smokin'guns.org Mixed
a.k47
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby Joe Kari » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:07 pm

dansh wrote:Hello.

Running a master server, which searches Smokin' Guns servers.

For client:
Need to add a line to file q3config.cfg:
Code: Select all
seta sv_master1 "master.q3alive.net"

For server:
Need to add a line to file server.cfg:
seta sv_master2 "master.q3alive.net"

The register server will take max 5 minutes.

For Monster Browser:
Need to add a line in section [Smokin' Guns] to file mods.ini:
masterServer=master.q3alive.net

Add my servers to this topic:

78.47.60.18:27980 Q3ALIVE.NET |SG| FFA
78.47.60.18:27981 Q3ALIVE.NET |SG| DUEL
78.47.60.18:27982 Q3ALIVE.NET |SG| BR

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the tips ;)
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby moRtem » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:03 pm

dansh wrote:For client:

I am not sure, but usually sv_ indicates a server-command. So i guess a client won't benefit from changing this setting.
moRtem
Gunslinger

Postby dansh » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:15 pm

moRtem wrote:

I am not sure, but usually sv_ indicates a server-command. So i guess a client won't benefit from changing this setting.

This is simply the substitution of a master server idsoftware that does not work on the working master server. Nothing more, really.
dansh
Shootist

Postby a.k47 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:56 pm

ehmmm...i wrote the first one in my config, and started sg..but nothting happens==>not new list in smokin guns i mean:(

regards
a.k47
admin on:
-Jeuxlinux
-smokin'guns.org BR
-smokin'guns.org Mixed
a.k47
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby dansh » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:02 am

a.k47 wrote:ehmmm...i wrote the first one in my config, and started sg..but nothting happens==>not new list in smokin guns i mean:(

regards
a.k47

Check if there is another entry in the sv_master1 q3config.cfg in the game folder and file q3config.cfg in the user folder (Windows 7):
C:\Users\<your name>\AppData\Roaming\Smokin' Guns\smokinguns

or Linux
/home/<your name>/.smokinguns/smokinguns
In multiplayer, need to click "Get New List" (You will see only those servers that are added to the config server.cfg line seta sv_master2 "master.q3alive.net"). If you do not want to lose your cache server list, then save the file somewhere servercache.dat, it's in the user folder specified above.

Everything is working.
dansh
Shootist

Postby Pardner » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:40 am

dansh wrote:
moRtem wrote:

This is simply the substitution of a master server idsoftware that does not work on the working master server. Nothing more, really.

Hmmm... I think moRtem might be right on this. I always thought that sv_ commands were serverside only and don't have anything to do with the clients.

I think the sv_masterX commands just tells the server what master servers to send a heartbeat to. This was always used for external game browser such as Planet's Arcade. I forgot was the server name was, but they used their own dedicated master for their browser. If you wanted your server to be listed then you needed to send a heartbeat.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby dansh » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:07 am

Pardner wrote:Hmmm... I think moRtem might be right on this. I always thought that sv_ commands were serverside only and don't have anything to do with the clients.

I too thought. But decided to check out. And it really works.

In the next release 1.1 would be good to add your own master server, for example sv_master1 "master.smokin-guns.net".
dansh
Shootist

Postby /dev/random » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:24 pm

moRtem wrote:I am not sure, but usually sv_ indicates a server-command. So i guess a client won't benefit from changing this setting.

This one's an axception in the naming schema. The normal ingame server browser will just do a "/globalservers 0 $protocol full empty" (where $protocol equals the "protocol" cvar's value), which queries whatever you've set as sv_master1 ("/globalservers 1" queries sv_master2 and so on).
The server on the other hand will send heartbeats to sv_master1 up to sv_master5 (maximum number is controlled by MAX_MASTER_SERVERS define).

dansh wrote:In the next release 1.1 would be good to add your own master server, for example sv_master1 "master.smokin-guns.net".

That's a very good idea. Even if "master.smokin-guns.net" is just a CNAME for "master.ioquake3.org" (or any other masterserver for that matter).
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby dansh » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:31 am

That's a very good idea. Even if "master.smokin-guns.net" is just a CNAME for "master.ioquake3.org" (or any other masterserver for that matter).

Unfortunately the master server master.ioquake3.org not looking for Smokin 'Guns servers, so need to do your own.
As an alternative I can offer a master server is specifically configured for Quake 3 Arena and Smokin 'Guns: master.q3alive.net
For example, who knows how to compile the source code of Smokin 'Guns, can replace the string \ code \ qcommon \ qcommon.h:
#define MASTER_SERVER_NAME "master.quake3arena.com"

on the line:
#define MASTER_SERVER_NAME "master.q3alive.net"
dansh
Shootist

Postby /dev/random » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:03 pm

dansh wrote:Unfortunately the master server master.ioquake3.org not looking for Smokin 'Guns servers, so need to do your own.

I don't know what you've been doing, but it works fine for me. I've been using SG 1.1 and just set sv_master1 properly. The server is both listed on the master server as well as in the client UI.

If the SG team decides to edit the master server in the source code, they should really use master.smokin-guns.net and not some external DNS.

On a sidenote; It would be nice to actually contact Thilo/the ioquake3 team before "officially" switching to master.ioquake3, since they're operating it for free (but no one knows for how long and with which limitations - if any).
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Joe Kari » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:12 pm

Does anyone know where to find those master server binaries/source-code ?

If it isn't too much time-consuming, I can eventually build a small php-based master-server (so it can be hosted almost everywhere), but I need some pointer to know how it is supposed to work.
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby a.k47 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:03 pm

Circus Maximus changed its ip to 176.9.90.215:27960... Please update the settings in your monster browsers.

best regards
a.k47
admin on:
-Jeuxlinux
-smokin'guns.org BR
-smokin'guns.org Mixed
a.k47
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby dansh » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:55 am

Joe Kari wrote:Does anyone know where to find those master server binaries/source-code ?

If it isn't too much time-consuming, I can eventually build a small php-based master-server (so it can be hosted almost everywhere), but I need some pointer to know how it is supposed to work.

dpmaster - an excellent program for the master server.
As compiled under Windows, as well as under Linux. The settings are very simple. This master server use http://dpmaster.deathmask.net

Source Code dpmaster

It would be nice to ask the guys from the team deathmask.net, what they would have added a smokinguns, then he would appear in dpmaster.deathmask.net.
dansh
Shootist

Postby dansh » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:33 am

Here is a little altered q3mon for Smokin 'Guns. Now there are maps and game types. You can watch online through which the master servers are running game servers Smokin Guns.

Link to Server Browser and Monitor
dansh
Shootist

PreviousNext

Return to Telegraph Station

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel