With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Game server information & questions.

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor

Need help joining servers

Postby Cosyn » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:15 am

Hello, awesome Western community! This is my first post, so please cut me some slack.

I've been trying to join multiplayer servers for a while now. I installed Monster Browser, correctly connected it to smokinguns.exe, and added some servers onto the list (though Monster Browser even automatically added some servers to its list). However, when I try to join one of those servers, the game loads with the message "Awaiting connection," then "Awaiting gamestate," and then finally closes with the message "VM_Create on UI failed. Copy console log to clipboard?"

I've been really enjoying this game and sincerely wish to play with you guys (I have some Counter-Strike experience in me, so I think I'll transition easily into the community). I am a huge fan of Westerns, both games and movies, so discovering this game was a great find for me.

Thanks,

Cosyn
"There are two types of people in this world, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who did. You dig." -Clint Eastwood
Cosyn
Drifter

Re: Need help joining servers

Postby Barto » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:19 am

Hi Cosyn and welcome to the forum :) It's nice to see some fresh blood there.

Anyway, I can read that you made your first step here with the whole installation of the game and the modification of the master server. Congratz.

The error you get is really easy to fix. It barely says that your game version is not the same as the server. I suppose that you installed the 1.1rc2 but most of the servers are still using the 1.0. I suggest you to use the 1.0 until the official 1.1 will come. Then you will be able to upgrade your game when the server would do the same. I consider that it is useless to start to install the last 1.0 compatible version (1.1b4) because the 1.1 will come very soon, it's a matter of days.

Just a list of server and their version according to their status:
You can see that there's a whole patchwork of version...
Jeuxlinux.fr - 1.0
BallerBude - 1.1b4
SpecialBude - 1.1rc2
TerraNova - 1.1b4
Circus Novus - 1.1rc2
SmokinFrogs - 1.0

The only problem is, when you will use the 1.0, you will be able to only join 1.0 servers... It's sometimes even better to have 2 versions of the game (1.1b4 - 1.1rc2)

Just ask us for some further help
Best wishes
-Barto
"Chuck Norris had to shorten his beard in the presence of Richard Stallman because two beards that awesome, so close would segfault the universe (again)."
Barto
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby TheDoctor » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:36 pm

Jeuxlinux.fr - 1.0
BallerBude - 1.1
SpecialBude - 1.1
TerraNova - 1.1, but you need to enable downloads
Circus Novus - 1.1rc2
SmokinFrogs - 1.0

BB is a SG1.1 server, cgame- and content-wise. If you have SG1.1, you may connect without any trouble. If you use any other version, you need to enable downloads.
Last edited by TheDoctor on Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Cosyn » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:39 am

Thanks for the reply! I understand, and will wait for the update to play with most of the servers.

I tried joining the Circus Novus server which you put on your list, and this time got far enough before the game said "Couldn't load maps/br_warehouse_mini.bsp." I am guessing that this is a modded map, which I didn't get when I downloaded the game? What should I do? Special Bude works fine, by the way.

Also, I have a minor graphical problem: When the game starts, in the menu everything is nice and bright, but after a few seconds the brightness decreases significantly. Even when I change the brightness level, the next time I start the game it goes down again. Could you please explain what is causing this?

Thanks a lot for the help, and I look forward to playing with you all soon.

Edit: Never mind, I found out how to fix the brightness issue. I'll have to manually do it every time I start a game, though.
"There are two types of people in this world, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who did. You dig." -Clint Eastwood
Cosyn
Drifter

Postby Barto » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:32 am

Okay, I see you have the 1.1rc2 installed, nice. :-)
You just need to allow your game to download some extra contents, like the map you wanted to play earlier.

You can either set it from the console with "cl_allowDownload 1" or via the user interface following that way: Settings > Game Options > Auto Download and ensure it is set to "yes". At worst, you can download your extra content manually via those urls and then put it next to the other .pk3 files on your machine.
http://smokinguns.parttimegeeks.net/smokinguns/
http://mirror.9k.lv/smokinguns/smokinguns/

About the brightness, I never got such a problem so I cannot give you a real accurate tip. On the other side, I can link you to this other topic viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2966&hilit=brightness .
"Chuck Norris had to shorten his beard in the presence of Richard Stallman because two beards that awesome, so close would segfault the universe (again)."
Barto
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby Cosyn » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:38 pm

Okay, I can join other servers now! Thanks.
Cosyn
Drifter

Return to Telegraph Station

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel