With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Game server information & questions.

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor

Re: No or bad challenge for your address

Postby Biondo » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:16 pm

I would like to be updated about the current state of this problem.
Already said that I can connect now (after editing my hosts file), but I'm still looking forward for a solution that would be viable also to new players. Any news?

And if not, what should I have to write in this FAQ (http://lameclan.altervista.org/blog/smokinguns/faq-frequently-asked-questions/)?
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Postby TheDoctor » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:54 pm

Biondo wrote:I'm still looking forward for a solution that would be viable also to new players. Any news?
In this post, I asked whether anyone was still having this problem. Except negations from you and Mope, no one answered.

Before the host file edit solution, it remained unclear, whether my attempts to fix this problem server-side were successful or not. Since nobody is available for extensive testing any longer, I have no basis (both methodically and motivationally) to continue working on this.

I'm also wondering how many players were really affected: one thing Biondo and Mope did have in common was a direct connection to the internet, i.e. they do not use a router. Usually, having a router is standard and as it would cache DNS entries, it could mask the problem, which is my current explanation, why I wasn't affected.

My current opinion on this overall problem is to agree to Tequila's suggestion to publish a new version of 1.1. However, I suggest a immediate minimal update: just 1.1 + a fix of the domain names.

Biondo wrote:What should I have to write in this FAQ?

For the meantime, you could explain them how to find and modify their hosts files, covering both Windows and Linux.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Biondo » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:15 pm

TheDoctor wrote:In this post, I asked whether anyone was still having this problem. Except negations from you and Mope, no one answered.

You are perfectly right. The only reason why so many players posted their problem here was because I bugged them to death, otherwise it would have seemed a problem limited to me and Mope. I haven't bugged them again, after hosts file workaround. And let me say to them that it's a little bit selfish not giving an help once your personal problem is solved.

TheDoctor wrote:Before the host file edit solution, it remained unclear, whether my attempts to fix this problem server-side were successful or not.

I tried more than once to remove the added line in my /etc/hosts, and removing it I'm still not able to connect. The reason why I didn't report it here is that I thought you already knew.

TheDoctor wrote:I'm also wondering how many players were really affected

Not all players were affected, but not few, as you can read also from the comments posted in this topic. I also thought about something like a cache (I asked to Téquila if there's any kind of cache somewhere in SG connections). It was typical of a cache problem, with a quite beginning and an exponential acceleration as time passess.

TheDoctor wrote:For the meantime, you could explain them how to find and modify their hosts files, covering both Windows and Linux.

This is what I'll do. Thank you.
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Postby TheDoctor » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:14 pm

Biondo wrote:I tried more than once to remove the added line in my /etc/hosts, and removing it I'm still not able to connect. The reason why I didn't report it here is that I thought you already knew.

Try removing the line and restart. If you still reliably can connect to Circus Novus, the problem would seem to have vanished into thin air.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Biondo » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:12 pm

I removed the line, and restarted the system as you said.
I was then able to connect to Circus Novus and to Baller Bude, but just for 1 time. The second time I got the well known message "No or bad challenge ..."
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Postby TheDoctor » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:35 pm

Biondo wrote:The second time I got the well known message "No or bad challenge ..."

I checked the executable and despite my intentions, the challenge mechanism was included. Don't know how this happened, but I compiled everything again and now the challenge mechanism is removed for 212.65.13.87:27962 (SG1.1+download Robbery Bude). Please try to remove the line from the hosts file again, restart and connect there.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Biondo » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:12 pm

I've done what you said: removed the line and restarted my PC. The problem is still here, both for Baller and for Circus, both via direct connection and via XQF. And checked it twice. Sorry, no or bad challenge for you, Doc :)
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Postby TheDoctor » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:37 pm

Biondo wrote:Sorry, no or bad challenge for you, Doc :)
I did specifically mention bb.smokin-guns.org:27962. Try again.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Biondo » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:54 pm

bb.smokin-guns.org:27962 seems to work (also without restarting Linux).
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Postby jippi-ja-yeah » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:10 am

I am wondering about the behavior, when i start SG over Monster Browser.
The message comes only every second time.
In game: JippieJaYeah aka TheFlyingChicken
http://www.lameclan.org
jippi-ja-yeah
Drifter

Postby Biondo » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:09 am

For me it works fine every time, both via SG servers browser and via XQF.
BallerBude 212.65.13.87:27960 works too. Circus Novus doesn't.
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Postby Biondo » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:59 pm

Update:

bb.smokin-guns.org:27962 WORKS
bb.smokin-guns.org:27960 DOESN'T WORK
Circus Novus DOESN'T WORK
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Previous

Return to Telegraph Station