With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Discuss & improve the game engine.

Moderators: sparcdr, torhu, Tequila

Vertex Buffer Object (VBO)

Postby Joe Kari » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:19 pm

Most of slowdown in Q3 engine come from the fact that the CPU have to send to the video card all the visible geometry for every screen refresh.

However, new video card can store permanently in its VRAM some static objet, so the bandwidth of AGP/PCI will not be flooded with that.

The good news is that our concurrent game, Urban Terror, is about to add VBO support to their engine, and the code source can be found from their forum. They will eventually propose a patch to ioQ3 in the future.

Here some screenies I have made on my map, just at the place FPS are the lower:

44 FPS

Here I have simply copied my map under my Urban Terror directory, without recompile it:

63 FPS

Now using their experimental VBO support:

83 FPS

I gain 20 FPS on my old computer (AMD 2400+ with nvidia 5200 FX).

This is more impressive on newer computer, my brother got:
- ~110 FPS with SG engine
- 130~140 FPS with UT engine
- 210~220 FPS with UT with VBO support engine

Very interesting, no ?
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby EvilFutsin » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:23 pm

Impressive....

Most impressive. o_O
"I Gotta Believe!"
EvilFutsin
SG Team

Postby Tequila » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:25 am

indeed :D
Tequila
SG Team

Postby Joe Kari » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:59 pm

Good news: ioq3 guys are currently discussing about coding VBO stuff in their engine, for all static vertex (most of map geometry) !
Yeeehaaaa !
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby /dev/random » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:38 pm

Thought there was a discussion about not to exclude old hardware?
If I recall correctly, Xreal already uses this and other techniques which improve performance and visual quality.
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Tequila » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:55 pm

Hey,
someone just added a enhancement request in ioquake3 bugzilla bugtracker. It seems this is that VBO patch. You may check it there: http://bugzilla.icculus.org/show_bug.cgi?id=4358

And to answer /dev/random after months... No we won't exclude old hardware. If such stuff will be included, it will be disabled by default with dedicated cvar and it will only be added if the code is clean enough to not break the game if activated by error.

Btw I really think such stuff can help to support older hardware with still good video card. I mean if the video card support VBO of course.

I'll take a look after the next beta release, so don't expect this before still not planned v1.1b4 engine.
8)
Tequila
SG Team

Postby dbozan99 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:35 am

This is the first I've seen of this thread lol, but that's some serious fps boosting right there! But how come even without the VBO patch you still get quite an increase in UT? What have they optimized that SG has not?

Either way, This should really help people a lot and I hope it gets into the next SG release if it's not too buggy or something....

P.S. Deagle in Alamo...Haha
dbozan99
Pistolero

Return to Code

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel